Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, thanks for your post :D That's the only good thing about Winter, we can look back on the photos we took in the Spring and Summer and really enjoy the moments they bring to mind even the moments we for get :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots and a prime example of persistence paying off :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Getting close to nectaring White Letter Hairstreaks is always a notable moment, Goldie. I'm not surprised it proved to be such a highlight for you.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Well done with the White-letter Hairstreak shots Goldie. That is one species that I have very few photos of and missed seeing altogether in 2017.

Cheers,

Neil.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Goldie
As others have said well done with the White Letter Hairstreaks, a moment to cherish :D .
Great to see your garden overflowing with butterflies as always, I must get myself some of that Bowles Mauve.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many Thanks Wurzel, I was so determined to see the WLH having looked for them for the last few years :D I hope I'm has lucky with the Brown next year, :D I went to Gait Barrow twice but no luck, so fingers crossed for next year. :D

Thanks David, it was so exciting to watch it, I took so many photos of it, I just couldn't believe it :lol: I'm still living the moment
and the various colours showing were amazing when the Sun shone on it, roll on next year I'll be back to Brockholes again. :lol:

Thanks Neil, you'll have to visit Brockholes :D the wild flowers there are great, I wasn't the only Butterfly enthusiast there either lots of people turned up going along the edge of the woods, I stayed near the Blackberry Bush having been told that was the place
they'd been seen the most and I got lucky. :D

Thanks Paul, the Boules Mauve is a treasure for Butterflies, when they arrive in Spring and Summer the Butterflies go straight for it
if you buy it next Spring you'll know what I mean and you can take cutting's for when it gets a bit out of shape ( they grow like mad because they're a perennial Wall Flower and get a bit stroppy) so you'll always have plants to put in your garden. :D

Thanks again every one for your posts, they've cheered me up no end, I can't go out at present I'd an argument with our Garage door and ended up with two black eyes and a visit to the Hospital, really silly thing I did and I'm really mad at myself :evil:
These things are sent to try us :lol: So I'll be going back over the year for a while on the puter:D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great WLH, Goldie - I struggle to get a sighting of these every year, so it's good to see others having success (though I was more lucky in 2017 truth be told :) )

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Dave, It was my first time seeing them so I was pleased to get close to one instead of looking up into the tree tops for them :lol: What was even more of an Irony was the fact that later in the year whilst I was in Fermyn Woods One landed on the ground in front of me after years of looking for them :D ( couldn't resist posting another shot, this one from Fermyn ) Goldie :D
Attachments
Fermyn Woods 14th July
Fermyn Woods 14th July

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Not seen one myself yet Goldie, fingers crossed for next year. :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I always think Hairstreaks are 'buterflyers' butterflies'! - they usually have to be looked for. I remember, though, that my first encounter with the White-letter was a complete surprise. I was walking in a wood near home and saw these little brown butterflies nectaring on Knapweed. It took me several moments to realise what they were :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, I hope you see one next year, persistence pays off in the end :D next year I'll be looking for the Brown HS :D

Hi! Mike, I bet you thought it was your Birthday! :D Did you take any shots :?: :D Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Goldie M wrote:....... Hi! Mike, I bet you thought it was your Birthday! :D Did you take any shots :?: :D Goldie :D
It was a long time ago, Goldie (27 years!) but there's still a photo on this page of my website

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's always the way Goldie - hard work to find the first and then they pop up all over the place :roll: :wink: Mind you better that way round than a happy chance and then years of nowt :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, those are fantastic shots of all the Hair Streaks, they remind me that I've still two to go and hope fully I'll get to see them if not next year, I'll persist until I do, trouble is AGE! :lol:

Hi! Wurzel, I thought this year was great for the Brown HS with them being seen at Gait Barrow, I think they're looking for eggs up there now, I'll check them out again next year but I also want to pay a visit to the South again in August, ( A bird in the hand ) :D
At least I know they're there for sure. :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

That's an interesting shot of the WLH on the ground, Goldie. I've only ever see that happen overseas; never in the UK.

It must have given you quite a shock seeing that getting them down to even head level is quite a challenge!!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, It was a shock :D It seems at Fermyn the WLH landing ground level is no surprise, ( so I was told ) last year I saw The PE and the PHS also on the ground at Fermyn, so it looks like Fermyn is the definite place to go for these species.
The WLH I saw at Bolton Woods was definitely at eye level on the Blackberry Bush, I'd been told previously about their habbit of coming down at a round 4pm so made sure I was there at that time, I also did this when I went to East Blean Woods in Kent when I was looking for the PHS this year, I'd been told by the Ranger to go at Tea Time and sure enough they were down at eye level but didn't open their wings much. I'd a good year but still missed out on the Brown HS, next year I'll try again for that one also at Tea Time :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_77db.jpeg

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I don't think I've done any observing after mid-afternoon Goldie, I shall have to try Tea Time! :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, it certainly paid off for me , I'll be visiting again at the same time next year :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice shot of the Purp Goldie :D I'd heard that early evening was good for seeing Purps but I didn't know that that was when they were more likely to come down...I'll have to try and make some evening visits next season, cheers for the tip off :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, it works for me , :D I'm hoping it works with the Brown Hair Streak next year :lol: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”