November 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

November 2017

Post by David M »

Well, after an appalling August & September, October (certainly the latter half) wasn't too bad.

Let's see what November brings....
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: November 2017

Post by Pete Eeles »

I've seen a Red Admiral almost every day in my garden for the past month (and often up to a dozen), at least when the sun is out. They've had an incredible year and eggs are still being laid! I'll be putting out yet more fruit (to rot) in the morning for them :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Same in Lincolnshire - Red Admiral has definitely been the butterfly of the year! Good numbers from mid-summer, building to quite exceptional abundance during late September/October. And as Pete says, still laying eggs in my garden. Larvae and pupae still to be found also, so if the weather is kind there should be even more.
Speckled Wood and Small Copper have also had excellent late seasons.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Red Admiral are also having a good late season in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. I have just seen one flying in lIght rain. I agree, the butterfly of 2017.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The Red Admiral I saw yesterday was in pristine condition and just one of many I've seen in the garden through Sept/Oct. It seems most counties have seen loads this year, we usually only see RA's in good numbers in Sept/Oct here in Lancashire but this year I was seeing them from May, so I agree they've had a great year :D
I watched the Red Admiral yesterday closely and when the Sun wasn't shining it flew to the roof of the house and disappeared under one of the slates.
I was digging round some roses also yesterday and found what looked like a Chrysalis which I recovered not wanting to disturb it, I'm not too well up on these things so don't have a clue what it could be!!! Goldie :D
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Two separate Red Admirals seen in Somerset this morning. Temperature was 14 degrees
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

It certainly has been a fantastic end to the year for the Red Admiral. Today I counted 9 eggs (including 2 on the potted nettles in my garden). Also 12 larval tents, of which the two checked contained 3rd and 4th instar larvae. These would have developed from eggs that were observed being laid on 18th September.
Two Red Admiral eggs - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Two Red Admiral eggs - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Red Admiral egg nearing hatching - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Red Admiral egg nearing hatching - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Red Admiral larval tent (3rd instar) - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Red Admiral larval tent (3rd instar) - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Also 3 adult butterflies fluttering about in the weak sunshine.
Red Admiral - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
Red Admiral - Crawley, Sussex 1-Nov-2017
In all cases the eggs and larvae were found in sunny sheltered locations where the nettles had fresh growth. These same sites were also used for egg laying in the summer and it is therefore worth checking such locations over the coming weeks.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

That's not a bad response for a November day!! Been mild today here in Swansea too, but despite 20 minutes wandering around my workplace, I saw no butterflies (although there were plenty of flies and a few bees).
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A single Red Admiral for me at mid-day today in reasonable sunny weather ,here in Ashford Kent. A single Small Copper
reported today ,by a local at Dungeness..........hope one or two can hang on till the weekend !
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Two notable sightings to kick off November near Heathrow:
A Red Admiral egg-laying...
RA5 011117.JPG
RA egg2 011117.JPG
...and a lovely new female Holly Blue
HB1 011117.JPG
HB4 011117.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:Two notable sightings to kick off November near Heathrow:
A Red Admiral egg-laying...RA5 011117.JPGRA egg2 011117.JPG...and a lovely new female Holly BlueHB1 011117.JPGHB4 011117.JPG

Dave
Think you've got early November mixed up with late March there Dave!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Fresh November Holly Blue female on a dandelion!!!! You'll have them on Christmas trees at this rate, Dave! :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well, David, the closest I've come was 16th October last year... :wink:
/download/file.php?id=96279&mode=view

Holly Blue on holly berries - very Christmassy!

Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely late Holly Blue, Dave.

I saw a Red Admiral last week in Farnborough, Hampshire and my sister reported another at Ceasar's Camp in Aldershot, Hampshire on 2nd November.

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
peterc

Post by peterc »

Yesterday in the pleasantly warm sunshine in Knebworth Park I didn't find any butterflies but found an egg very low down on freshly grown nettles in an open but sheltered situation. My hunch is that it is a Red Admiral egg as opposed to a Comma one. Anyone know for sure by looking at the image what it is? In any case, it would be slightly unusual to find an egg of either species this late in the year.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Red Admiral/Comma egg Knebworth Park 3Nov17
Red Admiral/Comma egg Knebworth Park 3Nov17
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

peterc wrote:Yesterday in the pleasantly warm sunshine in Knebworth Park I didn't find any butterflies but found an egg very low down on freshly grown nettles in an open but sheltered situation. My hunch is that it is a Red Admiral egg as opposed to a Comma one. Anyone know for sure by looking at the image what it is? In any case, it would be slightly unusual to find an egg of either species this late in the year.

ATB

Peter
Definitely a Red Admiral. It's not unusual to find egg laying at this time of year anymore with these mild autumns that seem to be becoming the norm. There's every chance the resulting larvae will survive the winter and emerge as an adult in the spring as long as it's sheltered from the worst winter weather.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Holcombe, Somerset - Red Admirals feeding on ivy, as they have been most days for the last three weeks.
peterc

Post by peterc »

bugboy wrote:
peterc wrote:Yesterday in the pleasantly warm sunshine in Knebworth Park I didn't find any butterflies but found an egg very low down on freshly grown nettles in an open but sheltered situation. My hunch is that it is a Red Admiral egg as opposed to a Comma one. Anyone know for sure by looking at the image what it is? In any case, it would be slightly unusual to find an egg of either species this late in the year.

ATB

Peter
Definitely a Red Admiral. It's not unusual to find egg laying at this time of year anymore with these mild autumns that seem to be becoming the norm. There's every chance the resulting larvae will survive the winter and emerge as an adult in the spring as long as it's sheltered from the worst winter weather.
Thanks for your comments Paul. It is certainly true south of the country but probably more unusual north of London so I am wondering if anyone here has seen Red Admiral eggs or larvae overwintering further north.

ATB

Peter
Susie

Post by Susie »

Red admirals still nectaring here in West Sussex and I found some brown hairstreak eggs last weekend at my local patch.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Possibly my last Coppers of the year today at Dungeness ,found three in all (possibly 4 ) ,including a male ,trying hard to mate with an unresponsive female.....but he tried !
P1200352.JPG
found another male on one of the last remaining Ragwort plants close by, he flew down to the shingle to warm up.
P1200395.JPG
And the female of the pair.
P1200367.JPG
I also found a single absolutely battered Red Admiral ,couldn,t bring myself to post any shots of the poor old soul ! Near the Railway station I was lucky enough to find a Dartford Warbler keeping company with a pair of Stonechats .
P1200380.JPG
P1200386.JPG
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Sightings”