Cryptic Wood White - Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4 - onwards and upwards :D .This one is a 'Brucie Bonus' as not many people from England, Wales and Scotland get to see this species each year :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Cryptic Wood White - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

Hopefully I wont be alone on this thread! I caught up with this species on one of my long distance excursions. Whilst technically not in the UK I was still in the British Isles so for the benefit of my personal mission it still counts :D

It was day two and with the forecast looking pretty dreadful for the remaining days in Ireland we were forced to put all our eggs in this basket so to speak and headed off to a location east of Galway listed on the species account on this website. This particular spot though was a failure, not being able to find the site, everywhere seemed to be private property, so we headed of a little further east a bit despondent and stopped off at an equestrian museum and riding school to use their conveniences. In between showers we ended up going for a little wander, coming across a country lane lined with flowery verges where low and behold, fluttering around was the reason for this Irish trip :D. Based on the location, well away from the Burren, I can be pretty sure these are the Cryptic variety
This one probably wasn't in good health but did present me with a rare upperside shot
This one probably wasn't in good health but did present me with a rare upperside shot
Cryptic Wood White, Dartfield Equestrian centre, Ireland #15.JPG
Cryptic Wood White, Dartfield Equestrian centre, Ireland #25.JPG
Cryptic Wood White, Dartfield Equestrian centre, Ireland #28.JPG
Cryptic Wood White, Dartfield Equestrian centre, Ireland #29.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Re: Cryptic Wood White - Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

I've a feeling you may well be the only UKB member to have seen this species in 2017, Bugboy. I still haven't done so myself....I constantly wonder whether future taxonomic pronouncements may yet again change the status of this species.

Return to “Cryptic Wood White”