Holiday to Spain 2017 Part 2

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Spain 2017 Part 2

Post by Philzoid »

07/08/17
Our activity for the day was a trip to the beach: Andy’s Beach Cabopino, in my view the best beach on the Costa del Sol. Andy’s beach comes equipped with a busy beach bar serving food and drink; live (“retro”) music from Steve Nelson (now only Wednesdays and Sundays … he’s getting on a bit :lol: ) and best of all it has a nature reserve Dunas de Artola o Cabopino tagged-on at its western end (Marbella side) 8) .
The reserve is criss-crossed with elevated board walk-ways designed to encourage beach-goers to stay off the fragile habitat. There is much litter among the dunes to show that it isn’t entirely successful :? :( . Mind you, in all the times I visited I didn’t see anyone else checking out the flora and fauna ..… it’s a job for only mad dogs and Englishmen :P .
The first thing you notice along the seaward edge of the dunes are the beautiful and seemingly unlikely Sea Daffodils (Pancratium maritimum), lush blousy flowers amongst a sea of scrub and woody plants. Most of the other (herbaceous) flowers are reduced in size on stunted plants adapted to surviving in harsh dry conditions.
A 2017.08.07 IMG_8028 Pancratium maritimum, Sea Daffodil, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella.jpg
As for insects, the most noticeable are the large Blue-winged Grasshoppers. The mating pair pictured is, I think of this species Oedipoda caerulescens
B 2017.08.07 IMG_8023 Oedipoda sp. (caerulescens, Blue-winged Grasshopper) gi.jpg
Seeing a Blue-winged Damselfly surprised me :o . I think (based on its distribution) that this is Ishnura graellsii the Iberian Bluetail.
C 2017.08.07 IMG_8045 Ishnura graellsii, Iberian Bluetail, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella t.jpg
Finding a butterfly was harder than I remembered it back in 2015. The (invasive) lanterna bush close to Andy’s beach, though in flower was not attracting any butterflies:- a feature I noted throughout the holiday :? . In winter 2015 the lanterna was visited by Painted Ladies; African Grass Blue; Small Copper and Speckled Wood. However, when I got further into the dunes I got my first small butterfly. Initially I took it to be a Southern Brown Argus from the prominent orange lunules but closer inspection showed it to be a female Common Blue Polyommatus Icarus.
D 2017.08.07 IMG_8054 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella t.jpg
The next one confused me due to the small size; slate purple blue; and upper-side hind-wing spots alongside the fringe. However, evidence from the underside showed this to be a male Common Blue possibly form celina :?: . I believe some authorities afford Celina specific status: - the Southern Blue :?:
E 2017.08.07 IMG_8067 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella t.jpg
F 2017.08.07 IMG_8078 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella g t.jpg
G 2017.08.07 IMG_8084 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella g t02.jpg
H 2017.08.07 IMG_8093 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella gi t.jpg
Among the butterflies were other insects to grab my attention. First were the numerous large digger wasps (Sphex funerarius the Golden Digger Wasp) seen in feeding rather than hunting mode They prey on grasshoppers which they paralyze and carry underground as a food provision for their larvae. Also of note were the ‘football kit’ Shield bugs, very striking and quite common.
I 2017.08.07 IMG_8099 Sphex funerarius, Golden Digger Wasp, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella gi t02.jpg
J 2017.08.07 IMG_8211 Sphex funerarius, Golden Digger Wasp, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella g t.jpg
Graphosoma italicum, Striped Shield bug
Graphosoma italicum, Striped Shield bug
After the ‘distractions’ there was more searching for butterflies. A large Swallowtail butterfly rattled on through but didn’t stop :( . I was 90% certain it was P. machaon. Also seen was the occasional Small White (or Southern Small White?) always on the move, never landing.
So, after missing out on a Swallowtail, I remained with the blues: - This included a female ovipositing on Lotus creticus Southern Bird’s-foot-trefoil :D .
L 2017.08.07 IMG_8128 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella g t.jpg
M 2017.08.07 IMG_8139 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella gi t.jpg
N 2017.08.07 IMG_8148 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (female), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella gi t.jpg
Then another weird and wonderful critter grabbed my attention. Though black and white are not my favourite colour combination, (nothing against Juve mind :wink: ) this was a most striking little bee. I believe it to be a cuckoo bee of the genus Thyreus which preys on the Blue-banded bee Amegilla sp. shown in part 1
O 2017.08.07 IMG_8181 Thyreus sp. Cuckoo bee (of Amegilla sp.), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino t 02.jpg
P 2017.08.07 IMG_8183 Thyreus sp.Cuckoo bee,  Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella t.jpg
Q 2017.08.07 IMG_8185 Thyreus sp. Cuckoo bee (of Amegilla sp.), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino t.jpg
R 2017.08.07 IMG_8218 Polyommatus icarus, Common Blue (male), Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella vg t.jpg
In addition, a large wasp which I think might belong to the Scholiid family (but that is far as I can trace it :? ). If anyone would like a stab at its I.D I have other pics which may help :) .
S 2017.08.07 IMG_8232 Wasp, Dunas de Artola o Cabopino, Marbella vg t.jpg
Also encountered were these wonderful little lizards :D . Difficult to photo as they would make a mad dash for cover after spotting you This one was taken in the early part of the foray.
The lizards find the sand hot too
The lizards find the sand hot too
I now fully understood what Wurzel had endured on his holiday to the Czech Republic :shock: . Tiredness from heat exhaustion and dehydration had set in so like it or not it was time for me to return. These was the hardest parts, taking the decision to call it a day and the effort required to make the ½ mile trek to get back to the others.
I knew though, that after this experience I would definitely be making more ventures to the Dunas de Artola o Cabopino :D .

08/08/17.
Again, I was up early before the others had surfaced to explore MP1. We were planning to have our day in Malaga so I had to be quick. The morning came as a bit of a shock as a thick fog had shrouded the view and our beach towels were still wet on the clothes horse. By the time I was ready the sun had begun to do its work and burn off moisture.
The big surprise on MP1 was the large number of Argiope spider webs now highlighted by the dew (had I been walking onto them before :? ). This one is (I think) Argiope trifasciata the Banded Wasp Spider.
U 2017.08.08 IMG_8299 Argiope trifasciata, Wasp Spider MP1 t.jpg
No skippers were seen this time but the Southern Gatekeepers were still doing their stuff, keeping low in the grasses and thorny scrub and only exposing their upper wings for brief flashes immediately after landing.
V 2017.08.08 IMG_8285 Pyronia cecelia, Southern Gatekeeper MP1 g t.jpg
W 2017.08.08 IMG_8335 Pyronia cecelia, Southern Gatekeeper MP1 g t.jpg
Orthetrum chrysostigma, Epaulet Skimmer
Orthetrum chrysostigma, Epaulet Skimmer
Malaga central (accessed by rail from Fuengirola) turned out to be good day out, though the heat (probably the hottest day of our holiday) ensured we were never long out of a bar. A trip up to the rooftop of Malaga’s impressive catholic cathedral La Manquita (the one-armed lady) was the highlight for me 8) .
did the builders go on strike?
did the builders go on strike?
09/08/17. No chance to explore MP1 as we were off on a coach excursion to Gibraltar. It gave me a chance to rest up a bit and soak up the scenery. I’ve never been to Gibraltar before and I have to say I liked the cultural blend of British and Spanish :) . Prices were slightly cheaper too than in Spain.
In the town’s Main street outside of the courtroom gardens, I spotted a fast-flying white butterfly which I think was an African Migrant but it disappeared before I could get a better look. Also, there was the occasional small butterfly flitting around the top of the pergola which may have been a Long-tailed or Lang’s Short-tailed Blue but again I couldn’t be sure. Time would not allow me to hang around waiting for a confirmatory sighting :| .
As well as the shopping and sightseeing visit to the town we had a minibus to take us to the end of the peninsular (to see the mosque and the straits across to Morocco) and of course up the rock itself to see the Barbary Macaque monkeys :) .
Sympetrum fonscolombi, Red-veined Darter
Sympetrum fonscolombi, Red-veined Darter
I told the tour guide that I was interested in getting a sighting of Charaxes jasius the Two-Tailed Pasha. The minibus was expertly driven up the steepest and narrowest of roads. When we arrived at the stopping point everyone was clamouring for a shot of the monkeys, but my main concern was that I’d missed two of the Pasha’s that the tour guide had seen on the way up :( .
We were warned not to try and feed the monkeys (severe fine if caught) and that their behaviour could be aggressive. But from what I saw I would say they were the opposite. They seemed content to just hang around and chill-out. They couldn’t even be bothered to pose for the camera when people were taking snaps and selfies (unlike the Gibbons in Marwell zoo) :lol: .
ZA 2017.08. 09_123400613_iOS Barbary Macaque looking up at my daugther taking the pic, Rock of Gibraltar.jpg
ZB 2017.08.09_125117499_iOS Overlooking the straits of Gibraltar to Morocco, Rock of Gibraltar.jpg
Dartford Warbler?
Dartford Warbler?
The second part of the itinerary was to visit some limestone caves but I was keeping a lookout for butterflies when suddenly I saw what I was looking for, the two-tailed Pasha :D : a large butterfly whose fast flapping and gliding flight reminding me of an Emperor. I stood their transfixed for about 20 seconds or so before reaching for my camera, but it was too late, the butterfly was gone and I was broken from my reverie by a shout of “dad we’re up here … come on hurry up!” from my daughters reminding me we had little time left to explore the caves :roll: .
Anyway, no photo but a definite sighting, 100% sure :D .

The tally now: - Geranium Bronze; African Grass Blue; Speckled Wood; Sage Skipper; Southern Gatekeeper; Mediterranean Skipper; Common Blue; Swallowtail (90%); Small (Southern Small) White and Two-tailed Pasha.

On the way back to Fuengirola (between Estepona and San Pedro and heading to Marbella), came the sound of sirens from fire engines racing past the coach, and the sight of clouds of smoke. A helicopter already on the scene tackling flames not far from buildings. As far as I’m aware Spain unlike Portugal has had no ‘serious’ fires this year but this was a reminder that this danger is never far away.
ZD P1020911 Brush fire between Estepona and San Pedro. Taken from coach heading to Marbella.jpg
Phil
Charles Nicol

Re: Holiday to Spain 2017 Part 2

Post by Charles Nicol »

i enjoyed reading about your hols Phil. sorry that you did not get a Pasha photo :cry:
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Charles Nicol wrote:i enjoyed reading about your hols Phil
Thanks Charles :) . .. there's a lot more to come :wink:
Charles Nicol wrote:sorry that you did not get a Pasha photo
I get the impression from reading others experiences in this part of the world, that getting a sighting and a photo is relatively easy. Perhaps it was just a matter of the time spent looking or perhaps it wasn't the best time of year :?

Phil
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Philzoid wrote:I get the impression from reading others experiences in this part of the world, that getting a sighting and a photo is relatively easy. Perhaps it was just a matter of the time spent looking or perhaps it wasn't the best time of year :?

Phil
i am used to the French Pashas... they do not mind being photographed :lol:
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Charles Nicol wrote:i am used to the French Pashas... they do not mind being photographed
thought so :mrgreen: :P

Return to “General”