Andy Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
andy brown

Re: Andy Brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Pauline, not sure what you mean about the forecast as it is never wrong. Not!!!!!! Also it will be before 6am I suspect
Andy

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Andy especially the penultimate one, almost a before and after shot :D Have a cracker tomorrow, hopefully it'll be more relaxed than at Shipton :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

Here are a few from Sunday wanderings on Old Winchester Hill for a few hours Common and Chalkhill blues were abundant in various condition and came across a couple of larvae as well probably found 5-6 Comma all a pale form without really looking to hard also found a Clouded yell which with all re rain over the last week meant it was a bit past it but nice to see non the less. Windy despite the forecast saying 3mph but was still able to get some reasonable pictures. I think the new camera is going to take some getting used to as it is 50.6 megapixels so any movement exacerbates any out of focusing I might need a more sturdy tripod. Even some moths that remain static and flat against the bark have come out blurred and I think that is just down to camera shake. I have some moth pictures which I will post later or tomorrow.
599A9515.jpg
599A9520.JPG
599A9542.JPG
599A9555.JPG
599A9576.JPG
599A9584.JPG
599A9615.JPG
599A9600.JPG
599A9609.JPG
Cheers

Andy

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Andy :D Particularly envious of your Cloudy and 'Silver-studded Chalkhill' what a cracker :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Wurzel,

Here are a few more pictures taken over the last few days just still playing with the camera and getting used to settings but really pleased so far with the images it can take, especially the really micro stuff which is what I really wanted it for. So just need to find some more micro moths and ovum to practice on.

Common Blue
Common Blue.JPG
Dark Sword-grass (Agrotis ipsilon)
Dark Sword-grass (Agrotis ipsilon).jpg
Carcina quercana
Carcina quercana.jpg
Common White Wave (Cabera pusaria)
Common White Wave (Cabera pusaria).jpg
Light Emerald (Campaea margaritaria)
Light Emerald (Campaea margaritaria).jpg
Sill to identify moth ovum (Better picture this time)
599A9658.jpg
599A9658-1.jpg
Large White
Large White.jpg
Large White..jpg
Mesembrina meridian
Mesembrina meridiana.JPG
Cheers

Andy

David M

Post by David M »

That new equipment is paying dividends already, Andy. Superb images there.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic close up of the Large White cat Andy :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Andy, your new Camera is doing you proud, Goldie :D

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Goldie,David & Wurzel,

A few more pictures from the garden as I have not been out this weekend as I had to pick up the in-laws from Hull to bring them down for their cruise, packed them of now so may pop out during the week for some other species. Large whites from Ovum through to Chrysalis and the moth larvae are hatching. Unfortunately most of the small larvae are being predated by wasps so lets hope the moth larvae make it or I may try to rear them through.
599A9802.JPG
599A9786.JPG
599A9818.JPG
599A9829.JPG
599A9805.JPG
Cheers

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Had a quick play with photo stacking using photo shop this is the combined picture of 10 photo's using manual focus of Large White ovum and quite pleased with the results
Large white stack cropped.jpg
Cheers

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Emperors from Saturday, not best pleased with the open wing shots and not sure I will have time to get out to try again before hey are past there best. Never been so busy since I have retired :)
599A9564 1.jpg
599A9541 1.jpg
599A9505 1.jpg
Cheers

Andy

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Managed a quick snap of a purple hairstreak, trying to get a good one of these may get me out again.
599A9475 1.jpg
Ta

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

They're still mighty fine images Andy, and the Purple Hairstreak is a cracker too! :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Andy of the Emperor and the Hair Streak, I love that dash of Purple you can see on the HS Goldie :D

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for Comments Goldie and Wurzel, No butterflies today but put the moth trap out last night and had a bumper haul, 4 species of hawk moth including new for garden The Small Elephant Hawk along with a Pine Hawk, Poplar Hawk and a new garden record quantity of Elephant Hawk moths 24 up from 17 one night last year. in total 74 species identified with another 20 or so still to sort so not a bad nights catch the trouble being it takes a few hours to sort.
599A9747 1.jpg
599A9722 1.jpg
Cheers

Andy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Where's the other 18 then!!??? :wink: :lol: With that little lot surely we should be able to find some cats locally next time?

David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you got to see some purple butterflies, Andy. :)

Those moths are fabulous as well.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cracking selection of Hawk Moths :mrgreen: :D

I have not had Pine Hawk yet in my garden but they are steadily getting closer so I keep hoping.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”