Large Blue at Collard Hill anyone?

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The forecasts have often been worse than the weather this month - I have yet to get soaked, the only date I have not seen any butterflies was the 22nd, and the common species have often been out in good numbers (81 Meadow Browns in overcast conditions this lunchtime, for instance).
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

The forecasts have often been worse than the weather this month
Not sure the folks in Sheffield will agree.
sidwemn

Post by sidwemn »

Or up here. I haven't seen a single butterfly of any species for days

Cheers
Martyn
david king

Post by david king »

I was at the afternoon session at Green Down on Saturday. The start was delayed due to very heavy rain but we had half an hour before the rain started again in which time three Large Blues were seen, inc. this one.

The morning session had, apparently, been better, with eight Large Blues seen.

I was at Collard Hill in the morning. After heavy rain at 11:00 there were 90 minutes of sun in which time I saw 3 Large Blues - so although the weather wasn't good, good views were obtained.

david
markhows

Post by markhows »

Indeed the morning session was excellent with really good weather and excellent views of at least 8 large blues

A couple of shots with my compact camera as my SLR is currently with Nikon

Mark
Andrew Cunningham

Post by Andrew Cunningham »

Hi all,

Yesterday morning, I visited Collard Hill and managed two Large Blues.

One very worn individual was at the foot of the hill where the blue tipped marker posts lead you to. It obliged for a few photographs and for me to call others on to it.

A hundred yards or so to the west of this area there was another fresher specimen on the wing that I could not pin down.

Lots of gorgeous Marbled Whites too. Some Small Heaths, including one I got on my fingertip.

Regards,
Andrew.
Matsukaze

Re: Large Blue at Collard Hill anyone?

Post by Matsukaze »

Large Blues are flying at Collard Hill again. I saw at least one, probably four, there this morning.

There are very few other butterflies around there at the moment - easily the quietest I can remember it. A few Common Blues, but very few Small Heath when the slope is usually full of them. One or two Meadow Browns too, though their main emergence period has yet to begin.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Matsukaze wrote:Large Blues are flying at Collard Hill again. I saw at least one, probably four, there this morning.

There are very few other butterflies around there at the moment - easily the quietest I can remember it. A few Common Blues, but very few Small Heath when the slope is usually full of them. One or two Meadow Browns too, though their main emergence period has yet to begin.
Sounds like things are back to "normal" then :) 2007 was just too weird for words!

I'm meeting up with David Simcox (and an interview with David will appear in due course) on Thursday and we're going to visit several Large Blue sites, so I'll post an update here then, regarding the 2008 flight season.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I have the day off on Wednesday, so I shall be at Collard searching out the Swedish Blues.
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

I might see you there Roger, if I can talk eccles into it :D

Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

I'm definitely up for a trip to Collard Hill, Denise. We'll have to review the weather a little closer to the time, but Wednesday looks like rain at the moment. Thursday should be better.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I'm going to try to get along to Collard this afternoon, work permitting (bah!)
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

eccles wrote:I'm definitely up for a trip to Collard Hill, Denise. We'll have to review the weather a little closer to the time, but Wednesday looks like rain at the moment. Thursday should be better.
Just a tip - but if you want to get open-winged shots of Large Blue, you're better off with a dull and overcast day :) You just have a harder time finding the critters in the first place :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Tomorrow looks fine - only 16 degrees (slows the blighters down a bit), sunny periods, with a possibility (but I reckon very slim) of rain after lunch.
I shall be there.

Roger Harding
Cheers

Roger
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Good news guys

Can't make his site until 23rd - weather permitting so I hope they last a little longer. Thanks for the location info.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

A splendid day today at Collard Hill. I arrived very early - 08:30, and met the very helpful warden. He said that early in the day, the top of the slope, and especially around the 'hump' by the bush is the best spot as it is a bit of an early suntrap.
This was certainly the case, as at 09:00 we saw 5 flying around this area. During the day more and more Large Blues appeared. Unfortunately, it was warm and windy making photography pretty tricky. The few that settled were very flighty. They were seen all over the usual area (easily found - just follow the blue topped posts - all the way from the car park!) and at bottom, top and bottom of the slope. One of the hot-spots was the sheltered area about half way along the bottom of the slope.
Now the bad news. The habitat didn't seem good. The vegetation was very lush with very few bare areas that are so important. The thyme was also very sparse with no large patches. This is because grazing started late this year, and was probably adversely affected by the harsh weather in May.
Let's hope things are better next season.
Also seen were faded Grizzled Skipper, Meadow Brown, Large Skipper, and my first Marbled White of the season.
There were also Bee Orchids on the slope, and Butterfly Orchids in the meadow on the way from the car park (100m).
Then I went to have a look at Green Down. The public footpath is still open, but the reserve is out of bounds, and fenced off.
Again the vegetation was very rank. The really helpful warden there (forget his name, but a charming, quietly spoken Scot) tells me that grazing was stopped early. Large Blue had been seen on 2nd June, but had been present earlier as eggs were found at that time.
From the path I saw at least half a dozen, but none to photograph.
Very nice day.
Cheers

Roger
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi all - a brief update on my day spent with Dave Simcox, who kindly showed me around several Large Blue sites in Somerset today. A full interview report will follow.

Well, what can I say - the high point of my butterflying year so far. I learned so much from David, and would like to publicly thank him for his generosity and time. I also met a few of the extended team that keeps the Large Blue reintroduction on track (not soo sure about all of the names!) - including James and Barbera - the farmers that provide the sheep that graze Green Down, Liam - an ecologist helping monitor Green Down and other sites, Shane - a warden and transect walker at a private site, and John - the warden at Collard Hill. I was in awe of their deep knowledge of their subject, their commitment and, above all, their enthusiasm. To see so many individuals behind what is, clearly, a team effort, coordinated by David, was certainly inspiring.

Given this context, simply posting photos really doesn't do justice to the day I've just had. But here are a few to keep you going before I write up the interview. What I would say is that Large Blues are showing well at Collard Hill, where all of the photos below were taken (although today was difficult later in the afternoon as the weather closed in). The last shot shows David (on the right) and Neil Hulme (a.k.a. SussexKipper!).
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg (63.48 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 3222 times
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
My father and I also had a fantastic day at Collard, and I finally got the chance to introduce myself properly to Pete. I was also lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to meet 'the man behind the mission', David Simcox. After a 3.5 hour drive we decided to stay for a 'brief' 6 hours, and as Pete says, the butterflies showed well! My father found a pristine female specimen, which I believe had emerged only very recently. She gradually decended the slope, passing over the scrub, and I suspect there was some brief 'hanky panky' down below. Undoubtedly the same specimen (topside shot) returned to the upper slopes later in the afternoon, and after a lengthy rest, started pumping out eggs. Throughout the day we watched slightly worn females (picture to follow) doing the same, while males patrolled the slope-base in a much more rapid flight pattern. We also saw our first Marbled White of the year, but there was little doubt as to the individual that 'stole the show'.
P1040795_edited-1.jpg
P1040795_edited-1.jpg (225.58 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
Here's one of the Collard females doing her bit for the future generation.
P1040760_edited-2.jpg
P1040760_edited-2.jpg (250.47 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Neil
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nice shots Neil!

One thing I've not seen on this thread - for those thinking of visiting Collard Hill - you should call the Large Blue hotline on 01793 817732 beforehand.

From the phoneline yesterday: Predictions are that this weekend will be a good time to see them. The following weekend (22/23 June) will have mainly females flying, which may be a little worn. Very unlikely to see any adults in July.

Of course, there are always exceptions :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Sites”