Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Katrina

Post by Wurzel »

As Trevor says a cracking shot of the Silver Stud, things are certainly motoring ahead now :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My, that is a rather early SSB :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a great find Katrina - Thought they were early last year on 4 June at Bramshott. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the first in the country. Great shot too :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor, Wurzel, Bugboy and Pauline. Travelling to Iping certainly was a long shot and I just got lucky. I didn't notice any heather in bloom so I hope it manages to find enough nectar.

Katrina

Chantry Hill and Botany Bay

Post by Katrina »

I had a very quick stop off at Chantry this morning then want to Botany Bay. At Chantry at about 7.30 am the butterflies were already flying round at crazy speeds. I saw Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large skippers a Common Blue and a Hummingbird Hawk-moth. At Botany Bay again most were flying round at double speed. It was a pleasure to meet Nick Broomer again and his friend and other enthusiasts. I saw a Purple Emperor flying briefly high and then later another flew past me quite close but wasn't stopping. I know there was at least one sighting on the ground I missed . Strangely a Wood White I found seemed to be virtually roosting despite the high temp. Also seen were White Admirals , Silver washed Fritillaries, Red Admirals, Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Skippers, Large Whites, Brimstones , Speckled Woods and a Fox.
Attachments
DSC06460.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Wood White Katrina :mrgreen: :D - are those still first brood?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, I don't know. I expect so as this one had a nic in its wing on the other side

Katrina

Holiday

Post by Katrina »

I have just returned from 2 weeks in Scotland. One week near Aviemore and one week on the island of Lismore. We were unlucky with the weather with not much sun but the scenery was beautiful.
At Insh Marshes we saw a few Northern Brown Argus, a Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillary , some Red Admirals, Ringlets, Common Blues, Meadow Browns and Small Heaths.
On Lismore we saw Common Blues, Ringlets, Red Admirals, a few whites flying by and a single Marsh Fritillary which stayed in the same place nectaring for a long time. Thanks to Noelle for pointing us in the right direction for the Marsh Fritillary.
Attachments
DSC06573.jpg
DSC06700.jpg
DSC06780.jpg
DSC06814.jpg
DSC06829.jpg
DSC06844.jpg
DSC06941.jpg
Version 2 (4).jpg

Katrina

PS

Post by Katrina »

I noticed there are three brown spots on the closed wing photo which I haven't seen on the photos under the species section or stock photos section of this butterfly. Does anyone know if this is just part of the variability of this species?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Marshie, you had better luck with them than me up there but sounds like we got the same weather!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks, luckily we had been pointed in the right direction and I had my sister who spotted it! I think we just caught the end of the Marshies , I believe a few weeks earlier there were a lot of them. I was quite envious of your chequered skippers though!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Katrina - they certainly seem darker than the southerners I'm used to seeing :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Amazing Knepp

Post by Katrina »

I visited Knepp this afternoon with a friend who had never seen a Purple Emperor. I thought it was bit of a gamble so late in the season but as it turned out there were still plenty about. It was a pleasure to meet Phil and a highlight was two coming down from a tree together and landing together on his jeans. Other highlights were seeing large numbers of Purple Hairstreaks and some fresh Commas. Also seen were Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods, Red Admirals, Marbled Whites, deer and a black rabbit.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_20ac.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20aa.jpeg

Katrina

Evening at Friston

Post by Katrina »

I spent just over an hour at Friston Gallops this evening. I spent most of my time photographing but saw over 60 roosting blues within a small area. I suspect someone more intent on counting and with time to check the whole site would find hundreds. They were nearly all Chalk Hill Blues with a few Common Blues. Also seen were Meadow Browns, Marbled Whites and Skippers
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_20ba.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20bc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20c1.jpeg
DSC07469.JPG
Last edited by Katrina on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Hi Katrina, the Chalk-hill Blues are doing very well at Friston Gallops this year, like you I found lots when I was there last Thursday, including a freshly emerged male that crawled onto my hand! Well done getting some photos this evening, it was a bit windy! I saw loads of Essex Skippers and Gatekeepers on the upper slope there too.

BW's

James

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks James,
It certainly was windy, I gave up on photographing any on the top of tall grasses!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful Chalkhill shots Katrina :D The evening roost is a fantastic time to spend with butterflies :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel they are certainly easier to photograph in the evening!

Katrina

Knepp Brown Hairstreaks

Post by Katrina »

This morning I went to Knepp and met Neil Hulme . I had been on a couple of occasions and had been unlucky with the weather and not seen any. Neil, however, changed my fortunes spotting 10 and I managed to spot one myself. Even better one of the ones he spotted was a fresh female who obligingly flew onto a flower for us. I had a wonderful morning.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_20e9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20e1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20de.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20dc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20db.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20da.jpeg
DSC07587.JPG
fullsizeoutput_20ed.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20ca.jpeg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Brown Hair Streak katrina, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”