Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Goldie M

Post by bugboy »

Yup, the Large Heath still stubbornly remain on my hit list! :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bugboy, the Large Heath's are out in force at present and should be out for quite awhile if you can make it up there I think some one counted 40 at Foulshaw Moss yesterday, also at Arnside Knott Graylings and Northern Brown Argus are out I'm hoping to visit there this weekend all being well sooner if possible :D I'll be taking cousins and sister-in-laws for a day out :twisted: :D

Yesterday we went to Ainsdale Dunes Southport I wanted to see the Dark Green Fritillary there, , it seems because of the heat they didn't come out until evening so we missed them but we did see the Small Skipper's which are out early for the North of England.
Also there were Meadow Brown, Small Heath's and just a few Common Blues . Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3485.jpg
IMG_3484.jpg
IMG_3483.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

To echo everybody else: well done on the LHs. One of those I can't see me getting for a while. :mrgreen:
Plus the "butterfly on Orchid" photo is another on my wishlist, so definitely deserves another of these: :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Simon, it's been great weather here as in the South but looks like it may end tomorrow so I'm so glad I was able to get the LH's before the storm we're supposed to get, hope you get the chance to see the LH's before very long. :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Great effort with the Large Heaths, Goldie. It's a difficult species at the best of times!

This is one butterfly these southerners lack, so it's always good to get an audience with them, whilst they tease us with their Purple Emperors, Chalkhill Blues, Silver Spotted Skippers, et al! :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's David, it was great to see the LH and when one landed near the board walk I couldn't believe my Luck. :D
I want to go back up there for a NBA, it's another one I've not really got a good shot of,( one with the white spot on the wing,) so far mine have all been without the spot and the shots not very good, hope the rain doesn't last too long, it's gone dark now so looks like the storm is about to arrive. :x :(

Last night we were watching the tele which had a program on about Hedge Hogs, when we looked up and saw one in the garden it's the first time for ages since we've seen one in the garden, I took a quick shot of it, not exactly a Butterfly none the less a welcome sight. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3518 (1).jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice shot of a cheeky Hedgehog Goldie and good to see the golden skippers emerging up your way :D Good luck with the Northern Brown Argus :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I went up to Arnside Knott yesterday I didn't see a Northern Brown however I managed a DGF :D

The forecast wasn't very good for the lakes in the morning but when it said it would be better in the afternoon we decided to venture forth :D On arrival in Arnside we thought we'd made a mistake , it was cold and miserable, so the first thing we did was have lunch hoping things would change.
After lunch the weather was brighter the dark clouds giving way briefly to some sunshine, we went to the flower meadow but only a few Meadow Brown's and Ringlet's were about so we decided on the slopes where in previous years we'd seen the Scotch Argus, I was hoping to see a Northern Brown, has the Sun got brighter still I saw a flash of Orange and to my delight saw a Dark Green Fritillary, :D after a few shots it flew off and another one landed on a flower, this one seemed smaller ,again I took some shots after that I saw a Small Skipper but although we waited for a while nothing else appeared , I would liked to have stayed and walked further but we'd my Cousin with us so felt obliged to leave. :( She's not mad on BF's like me) :D
On our way home we called at Warton Craig and as soon has I got out of the car I saw another flash of orange, I took some shots but saw nothing else. I've called all my shots DGF's I think Male and Female but I've stared at them so long I'm confused :lol:
If I'm wrong feel free to put me right. :D I didn't see any NBA so will have to wait for another day. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5cec.jpeg
Taken at WC
Taken at WC
fullsizeoutput_5cf1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5cef.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5cfc.jpeg

David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the DGF's, Goldie.

Interesting that Small Skippers are out your way. I haven't seen any yet myself in spite of the recent perfect conditions. :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, I was lucky to see the DGF with the weather having changed so much.
The first time I saw the Small Skipper was at Southport last week, I was amazed because there wasn't a Large Skipper any where,
since then I've seen them all over the place, for more than last year a round here, I hope you see some soon.Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Love your Skipper on Orchid, what a combination.
You also have a problem up there we don't have in Sussex, having to make sure your
Dark Green Frits are Dark Green Frits. No problem with confusion down here. :lol:

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Trevor, your right about ID's for the Fritillaries, I've always to check there's no High Brown's in there :lol: I've still not seen any Pearl's yet though like you've got down there, I'm still trying but I could be too late this year. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Rain was forecast for today but this afternoon the Sun came out intermittently so I made a quick trip to Hall-Lee-Brook my local NR, I'd been there a few times in the last few weeks with nothing much flying, so today it was a nice surprise to see a really nice dark Meadow Brown and a large Skipper, looks like some at least escaped the grass cutting. :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5d11.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5d10.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5d13.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5d15.jpeg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

I see you caught up with the Large Heath this year...well done :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, it was a real treat to see them and for once in fantastic weather :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta set of DGFs Goldie :mrgreen: I've still t find some round my way, the weather isn't helping at the moment either :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, it was great finding them, the weather hadn't been too good and it was cold up there but when the Sun came out, so did they. :D

The weather was supposed to be bad today but it turned out really nice so we went to Hall-Lee-Brook and I was surprised to find more Butterflies than last time, Small Tort's, and Comma's, great, besides more Meadow B's than before and loads of LS's.
The Comma's were diferent one much lighter than the other, I think one was an Hutchinsoni ( I think that's what it's called)
I didn't get a good shot of the Small Tort, it landed too far a way in the Blackberry bush so I just got a silhouette :D
The Meadow Brown were different one light one dark and one with it's head hidden by leaves looked really different, I tried to get a better shot but it took off before I could.
Also got a shot of the Burnett's mating , I'd seen loads on thistles before but not mating, not a bad day.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3603.jpg
IMG_3601.jpg
IMG_3624.jpg
IMG_3642.jpg
IMG_3633.jpg
IMG_3643.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely glowing Commas, Goldie. They're beautiful when fresh like that. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Dave about those Commas Goldie, and the markings are really strident on the Meadow Browns too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Seen a few Commas myself today, Goldie. They're always welcome, and let's hope their numbers reflect those during their spring flight period.

Return to “Personal Diaries”