Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Paul. The whole area around there needs exploring.
There are various types of habitat nearby that look promising, some of the nearby land is regularly used
for military exercises and is out of bounds.

Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Catching up Trevor, superb shots of all your Butterflies, looks like you've found a Butterfly paradise :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Your perseverance really paid off with the Marsh Fritillaries, Trevor, brilliant shots, great stuff :D :mrgreen:

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

I think you are spoiled Trevor. You should do your trips in my neck of the woods..but you do get some lovely pictures of butterflies I never see. :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks folks for your comments.
For the first time I went over to Tide Mills for a summer visit, to see what migrants might have made
it over from the Continent. Usually this location is a good bet in the Autumn, with regular sightings of
late Clouded Yellows, and if one is lucky a Long tailed Blue or two.
Today this site produced about six, fresh Small Tortoiseshells and a similar number of Painted Ladies,
some very worn. A large clump of Red Valerian proved to be a magnet for Butterflies and included a
brief visit from a fresh Large White. I also had a quick glimpse of a male Wall Brown.
As well as Butterflies the extensive shingle is home to many coastal plants. I have posted an image
of the fairly scarce Yellow Horned Poppy, which is at home next to the sea.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1080082.JPG
P1080083.JPG
P1080080.JPG
P1080084.JPG
P1080081.JPG
P1080085.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That takes me back to childhood holidays, Trevor - shingle, shells and horned poppies (and the smell of oil of eucalyptus to get the inevitable tar off my hands and clothes!). That valerian really is a butterfly magnet - nice photos. :)

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Some great photos Trevor, I particularly like the Small Tortoiseshell shots.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave & Katrina,
I'm glad that you both enjoyed today's images. I'm afraid that they were all
snatch shots as the Butterflies were hyperactive in the heat. There was no
opportunity to compose a shot in the viewfinder.
if you wish to see the Horned Poppies, there are plenty to be seen near the beach.

Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Katrina provided the inspiration for todays visit to Iping common, with her image
of a Silver Studded Blue from last weekend. I was hoping that numbers would have
built in the ensuing seven days.
On arrival I quickly spotted a surprisingly worn SSB, but most of the twelve seen were fresh.
However no females were found.
Back at the car park I found my first Large Skipper of the season.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1080178.JPG
P1080181.JPG
P1080172.JPG
P1080180.JPG
P1080174.JPG
P1080173.JPG
P1080176.JPG
P1080177.JPG
P1080179.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great couple of recent posts Trevor - it's hard to keep up with where you're at and where you'll be next :wink: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Your turn with the SSB, Trevor! :) Nice shots. That one is surprisingly worn as you say - definitely out several days.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Amazing to see SSBs so early, Trevor. I may have to bring forward my own trip to see them which was originally scheduled for midsummer!!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel, Dave & David M.

The SSB's are early this year, and are certainly out at four scattered locations
in the South East, and look to be in for a good year.

Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Just catching up on your recent posts...a fantastic and varied selection :D

I saw SSBs last week in Cornwall where they regularly emerge earlier on the dunes than on the inland sites but am surprised to see they are also out already on the heaths in the south-east. A strange season this one...some things early, some not, and it seems a great deal of variation between different parts of the country.

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I went for a walk around Chiddingfold forest, a place where I will soon be spending some time.
Fully aware that we are now in the ' June gap ' I was not expecting non stop action today.
In a few weeks time, as the Summer species start to build, this place will come alive, a magical location.
Today, many Speckled Woods were seen throughout the forest, together with three male Brimstones,
three Large Skippers, two Meadow Browns and a very fast Red Admiral.
More unexpected was the sighting of three female Broad Bodied Chaser Dragonflies, one of which
posed for several shots.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1080232.JPG
P1080228.JPG
P1080233.JPG
P1080231.JPG
P1080230.JPG
P1080229.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

The calm before the storm, Trevor. It's a lovely place even without full on butterfly action (if that is an appropriate way of putting it!) :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Brimstones Trevor and that Chaser is a great way to 'mind the gap' :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful to see three elderly yellow gentlemen enjoying the twilight days of their lives. I'm sure things will pick up within a week or so....if the weather settles down a bit.

trevor

Post by trevor »

INVEST IN THE FUTURE !

Today I made what I believe to be a shrewd investment.
What is more I hope to get a quick return on my money,
in two or three weeks time.
Attachments
P1330104.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, that's some thing to look forward to. I've saved a tin has well, :lol: I didn't need it last year people were pointing them out and the dog's had helped with the one I shot. :lol: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”