Swallowtail info please

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Deborah

Swallowtail info please

Post by Deborah »

Hello. This year the fennel and carrot that I plant have lots of Swallowtail eggs and caterpillars on them. Some are now getting to the size where they leave the host plant and (I presume) go and find somewhere to pupate? I found one a few feet away from the fennel on the soil. Does this mean that if they leave the host plant they no longer need to feed?

I would like to ensure if possible that they go somewhere where I am unlikely to be disturbing them - so for example wouldn't want them settling on the potatoes nearby etc. Can I pick them up and put them somewhere?

Finally, are those that pupate now going to emerge later on this year - and if so, roughly when?
Thanks for any help.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Swallowtail info please

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Deborah,

You can safely move the larvae when they are fully grown and start to leave the plant. They will be looking for a place to pupate and will not need to feed again. Just pop them into a container and move them to a part of the garden where they will not be disturbed. They will pupate on walls and twiggy vegetation. Unfortunately I am not familiar with their life-cycle in your part of the world, but would not be surprised if the adults emerged approximately 3 weeks after pupating.

Vince
Deborah

Re: Swallowtail info please

Post by Deborah »

Thanks for that. Good to know that I can move them to somewhere safe!

Return to “General”