June Butterflies

Discussion forum for sightings.
jellyang

June Butterflies

Post by jellyang »

Not a good start to June here in Norfolk. A very cloudy damp day and not a butterfly in sight.
The weather forcast for the next few days is much of the same but then the weathermen do sometimes get it wrong!

Angie
Dave McCormick

Re: June Butterflies

Post by Dave McCormick »

Quite a few Speckled Woods and 1-2 Large Whites, but thats it at the moment. Looking out for Narrow Borderd Bee Hawkmoth I found around this time last year.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Visited Torrington Common today, and in the hour or so before the deluge, found Small Pearl-bordered Frits at a new (to me) site, and my first Meadow Brown of the year.
Then got drenched walking back to the car. The first time I have used the rain protector on my Lowepro camera bag - and it worked!
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Chris

Post by Chris »

Visited Ardley Quarry today on my way back from a stag do. It was pretty grey, but managed to find a number of roosting common blue. A brief spell of sunshine allowed this male to open it's wings.

I then went on to Bishop's Itchington to look for Small Blue... but I couldn't even find the site!!!!!
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
FlyByWire

Post by FlyByWire »

I saw some butterflies in Central London today.

OK I cheated. I went to the Natural History Museum in South Kensington. They have an excellent Butterfly Exhibition there. It's outside on the front lawn. You start by going through a maze that catalogues the lifecycle of a butterfly. Plenty of kiddie friendly stuff there. Then you enter a tent. Inside, it was 30C+ and 99% humidity, and a large number of tropical butterflies were live and flying around with lots of tropical plants and rotting fruit to nectar on. I saw many familiar ones, from Tailed Jays to Great Mormons, Blue Morphos, Atlas moths, Malaysian Clippers and many species I didn't recognise. There were also some caterpillars on the plants, and a large hatching cupboard for the pupae. My World Butterflies section is about to expand! Gonna have fun id'ing the ones new to me also.

If you are in town I strongly recommend a visit. Especially if the day isn't so good for butterflying outside. http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/ ... tterflies/ is the website. Runs until 17th August.

-Mike
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
On Sunday I spent much of the day at the BC Park Corner Heath Reserve Open Day in East Sussex. Despite generally overcast conditions, the SPBFs put on a good show. Our Reserve Manager Michael Blencowe had been up most of the night trapping moths, and was justly rewarded with views of a male Golden Oriole before the visitors arrived. The SPBF is 'on the edge' in Sussex, and the reserve is very small, so if you are visiting PLEASE keep to the pathways and avoid trampling the carefully managed habitat. The butterflies will happily pose right beside the paths and only a little patience is required if you want to photograph them. There have already been isolated cases where people have acted in an inappropriate manner, despite being repeatedly asked not to trample, but if the small minority behave, then there will be no need to fence-off areas during future breeding seasons.
Neil
P1040428_edited-1.jpg
P1040428_edited-1.jpg (199.35 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Attachments
P1040480_edited-2.jpg
P1040480_edited-2.jpg (188.02 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

I saw my first Red Admiral of the year today. Although it was warm the sun was out very briefly but enough for a few peacocks, large white & a very nice Speckled Wood who was happy to be my model whilst trying to play with my new lens!

Angie
Annie

Post by Annie »

Too wet for me to get out on Sunday, and back at work since then. I know it's moths, but had a few Brimstone moths around at work and home - and very attractive they are too!
Annie

Post by Annie »

We put our hanging baskets up at work on Monday, and with today's sunshine they've already attracted some Small Tortoiseshells and Small Whites.

Went for a walk past some very pretty gardens behind my work at lunchtime and saw one Red Admiral.

After that I walked up to the beach to see if there were any blues about - I see them often but there weren't any today. I'm guessing they're Commons rather than Hollies as I think the Commons like sand dunes?
eccles

Post by eccles »

I visited Hazelbury yesterday (June 4th) with Denise, looking for adonis blue. None found but there were still marsh fritillary, common blue, good numbers of dingy skipper, a single brown argus and around 10 large skipper. Many of the dingy skippers were worn but they're not over yet as there were still being replenished by fresh looking individuals. The large skippers were very fresh, a couple still having crinkly wings. We also saw moths, mother shipton, burnet companion and a single five spot burnet. A good day out, but where are the adonis blues? And Denise, bring your spare battery with you next time. ;)
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

I visited Aston Rowant today, the only butterflies were 5 Brown Argus. Cowlease woods were closed for tree felling, does anyone know when the car park will open again?

Cheers,

Sezar Hikmet
Attachments
P5061122a.jpg
P5061122a.jpg (211.01 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
P5061091a.jpg
P5061091a.jpg (203.23 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Martin

Post by Martin »

Appologies for showing off, but this week I have seen:-

Common Blue
African Grass Blue
Small copper
Speckled Wood
Brown Argus
Southern Gatekeeper
Mallow Skipper
Lulworth Skipper
Meadow Brown
Wall Brown
Lang's Short-tailed Blue
Cleopatra
Clouded Yellow
Southern Marbled Skipper
Spanish Festoon
Swallowtail
Small White
Geranium Bronze
Mediterranean Skipper
Painted Lady
Blue-spot Hairstreak
Spanish Swallowtail
Spanish Marbled White
False Ilex Hairstreak
Dusky Heath
Marbled Skipper
Ilex Hairstreak
Holly Blue
Red Admiral

:mrgreen:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

5th June Norfolk

I knew that the weather forecasts had changed for the worst but I had already booked my accommodation so pressed on regardless.
(Incidentally, I thoroughly recommend Wayford Bridge Hotel on the River Ant to west of Stalham - good beer, good food, immaculately clean, friendly staff.)

At Strumpshaw Fen two Swallowtails but not behaving for the camera. Later in day, How Hill another two in flight. Then it rained.

Ah well. If hunting were easy Homo sapiens probably wouldn't have progressed (Actually that's arguable. Have we really progressed?)

Next week? Heath Fritillary? Next weekend Black Hairstreak? The following weekend, Green Down (I WON a ticket!)

The following week, discuss with bank the excessive travelling expenditure!!!! (Joking - I hope)

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack

Heath Frits are on the wing. I saw a few today at Haddon Hill. I also visited Haddon Moor, less than 1 mile away and saw Marsh Frit.
This is on the west Somerset/Exmoor border.
I reckon this is the closest geographically that Marsh and Heath get to each other anywhere in the country. I would be fascinated to be proved wrong.
Roger Harding
Last edited by Rogerdodge on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Roger
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Hi,
Aston Rowant again this morning, still 4/5 Brown argus, only one worn out male Common blue.

Sezar Hikmet :)
Attachments
P5071187a.jpg
P5071187a.jpg (212.73 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
P5071171a.jpg
P5071171a.jpg (204.92 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Sandra and I spent a lovely day yesterday in Dorset. We went to Durlston CP and it was very sunny but windy. We saw our first Meadow Brown, Lulworth Skipper and Small Skipper of the year. We also saw Adonis Blue, Dingy Skippers, Large Skippers, Wall Browns, Common Blue, Small Blue, Small Tortoiseshell and Large White.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Would that be a new brood Small Tort or a tatty ex-hibernator?

Lulworth Skippers certainly don't emerge nowadays according to the "official" timetable. Some 30 or 40 years ago, I would see them mid-July. In 2007 it was of course reported in April. I'll see if I can fit in a visit to see them in on the Saturday in a couple of week's time on my way to use my Green Down ticket on the Sunday.

Any reports yet of Black Hairstreak? There is a provisional meet up at Glapthorn next weekend but some doubts that we could be too early.

Jack
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Hi Jack,

We hope you are keeping well, I am sure we will see you at one of the butterfly sites soon.

We were also surprised to see a Lulworth but having read a few books they all vary on when the adult flight period is.

We did not get a great view of the Tortoiseshell so cannot tell what condition it was in. We saw alot of our sightings along the costal path, where there are also a lot of beautiiful Bee Orchids.

Hope to bump into you soon.

Kevin and Sandra

ps Jack can you take dogs to How Hill?
Denise

Post by Denise »

Today I went to Priddy Minneries with eccles. Our target species was Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. We were lucky enough to see 40+
Another new species for me, yeaah!!! :D

Also seen. Small Copper, Small Heath, Dingy Skipper, Large Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, Marsh Fritillary and Large White.

Denise
Last edited by Denise on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Whites, whites, more whites, a speckled wood and a peacock...

Today I was in a field that at top, there is a big patch of kale plants. Its on a steep hill and it was loaded with small/GV and large whites. I must have counted about 50+ Here are a few shots I got:

Field (Dunno what the black blob where white is flying was):

GV White Female:

Small White (Female was rejecting male):

Small White Egg (Think it is anyway):

Large White Caterpillars:

Large White Eggs:

Peacock Resting: (got really close to this and it did not move) never seems to be that many peacocks around this area for some reason

Speckled wood male:

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Sightings”