Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel, James & Dave.
Yes James I do remember you guiding Doug and myself to the Adonis site. Last year
I could not find even one there, and that was for both broods. A site near Eastbourne,
which had also been reliable was deserted. Thank goodness for Mill Hill.

On my way to Chichester this morning, I popped up to Kithurst hill, at a ridiculously
early hour. Weak sun and very wet grass greeted me.
I soon located two roosting male Common Blues, and later, about 08.45, two worn Dukes.
The main reason for my visit was the Small Blue of which just one was seen.
I could have stayed all day, but time was against me. I'd rather have a cup of coffee
waiting at my destination that a crack of a whip. ( I was only a little late for work ).

Trevor.
Attachments
P1320996.JPG
P1320997.JPG
P1320993.JPG
P1320995.JPG
P1320992.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Another early start again this morning, this time to Friston Gallops.
The purpose of the visit was to track down the Small Blue, one was found, unfortunately it had
extensive wing damage. But two nice surprises presented themselves, one in the form of a surprisingly
fresh looking Green Hairstreak, then as I was about to head home I spotted an unfamiliar, large, copper
coloured ' Butterfly ' clumsily fly past me and land on some wild Raspberry canes, it turned out to be
a pair of mating Small Coppers. Several Dingy Skippers posed well for the camera and ended a
very enjoyable morning.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1330039.JPG
P1330044.JPG
P1330040.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a nice selection, Trevor. I can never get myself up that early! A particularly fresh Green Hairstreak too. :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:That's a nice selection, Trevor. I can never get myself up that early! A particularly fresh Green Hairstreak too.
Indeed, and a mating pair of Small Coppers isn't too shabby either!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a fresh Greenstreak Trevor, they're getting towards the tail end of their flight over our way, pretty envious of your Small Coppers in flagrante delicto, that's a Species I've yet to add to my 'In Cop' book. :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks gentlemen. The mating Small Coppers must go down as an extreme Hoggers moment !.

trevor

Post by trevor »

The surprises keep coming !. Whilst out this morning I found another two reasonably
fresh Green Hairstreaks, the second one was a very bright specimen.
A little later a very beautiful, fresh Painted Lady came into view, and proved to be
very skittish. Even though this Butterfly has a tiny nick in the right hand forewing it
is hard to believe that it could have flown in from the Continent and still be in near mint condition.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1070464.JPG
P1070465.JPG
P1070466.JPG
P1070462.JPG
P1070460.JPG
P1070463.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Nice shots of the Painted Lady Trevor :D :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Painted Lady, I saw a few down on the south coast yesterday. Shaping up for a good year for them if reports from the continent come to fruition :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very nice Painted Lady, Trevor. Hopefully the current warm winds will waft a few over from France if they feel the urge to migrate, and they can be persuaded to go further than Sussex! :) Lovely fresh Hairstreaks too: probably the female of the species.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking Painted Lady Trevor :D Hope the Hill is producing the goods :D I'm off to Dorset for a few days tomorrow so hopefully pick a Painted Lady up there, fingers crossed...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Everyone,
I havn't been able to post anything since Tuesday 23rd May, owing to a real cock up.
I didn't take my lap top to Wiltshire, only to find that my Daughters was out of action ! :oops: :evil:
Anyway just arrived home, so when I've got my head together you'll see lots of Marshies,
and images from an exciting new site.

Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

WEDNESDAY 24th MAY.

Starting out on my journey to Wiltshire, I had enjoyed full sunshine until just after Petersfield
when a thick, early morning mist descended completely blocking out the sun.
On arrival at the Marsh Fritillary site, the mist had lifted into low cloud, with little sun.
However I spotted my first Marsh Fritillary immediately on arrival, but it would be a full 30 mins
before a second was seen. Baring in mind I had only seen one over four days in a previous visit,
I began to think they were in for a bad year.
Worries were dispelled when the sun suddenly burned through the low cloud, and as if by the flick
of a switch Butterflies erupted from the grass and shrubbery in all directions, there were Marshies everywhere !.
I soon realised that any photography would have to be accomplished quickly as the Butterflies responded
to the increasing heat and more and more chases were taking place, and basking Butterflies were few and
far between. By 10.30 I had a camera full of images, and enough of the heat.
So I moved on to Tilshead, more of which in the next report.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1070564.JPG
P1070558.JPG
P1070562.JPG
P1070553.JPG
P1070556.JPG
P1070563.JPG
P1070491.JPG
P1070554.JPG
Also flying in large numbers, were Burnet Moths
Also flying in large numbers, were Burnet Moths

millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely selection of Marsh Fritillaries, Trevor - they show such variety and every one is a gem. :)
Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

On May 11th, I reported visiting a strip of military land near the Wiltshire village of Tilshead,
which looked very promising. I paid a further visit after my morning with the Marsh Fritillary.
By the time of my visit, it was mid morning and very hot, no good for photography, but there
were Butterflies everywhere, mainly Adonis, Common and Small Blues, with some Brown Argus,
plus Dingy and Grizzled Skippers.
As my Daughter is busy running a pub I offered to take the children to school during my stay,
but this posed a problem in getting over to Tilshead early enough on what was forecast to
be a very hot day. So the solution was a very early start, the next day, in order to pick up the Kiddies at 8.45.
I arrived on site just before 7am, to find hundreds of Adonis and Common Blues warming up,
mainly face down on Grass stems, they were everywhere.
The visit also produced several Grizzled and Dingy Skippers and my first UK Forester Moth.

I don't think this site is on any Butterfliers radar, but holds huge potential for ' Blue ' species.

More photos to follow
Trevor.
Attachments
A view over the Tilshead site
A view over the Tilshead site
P1070616.JPG
P1070611.JPG
P1070614.JPG
P1070617.JPG
P1070615.JPG
P1070613.JPG
P1070612.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Tilshead PART TWO.
Attachments
P1070610.JPG
P1070659.JPG
P1070504.JPG
P1070541.JPG
P1070661.JPG
P1070662.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Marshies from the Hill Trevor, I'm glad it finally started paying out :D The Tilshead site looks like ti could be a bit of gem, I'll have to try and pop over there at some point :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel.
Yes, the Hill was fabulous, every bit as good as previous years.
The Tilshead site is worth a prompt visit ( how are the brownie points! ) as the Adonis
are getting a little worn. It is one of the best Adonis sites I've ever seen.

All the best,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

If you have bought a pot of Parsley imported from France,
do check it over before cooking with it !.

See the Sussex BC sightings page.
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That new site looks interesting, too far for me to travel too (unless perhaps a Camberwell Beauty turns up :lol: ), but I look forward to further posts from there :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”