essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

When I got back from Cornwall, my first port of call was to a bluebell wood which is only a short walk from where I lived as a kid. A glorious carpet was there then,and remains today.
P1610039.JPG
P1610036.JPG
P1610032.JPG
Although it was cloudy, a few breaks tempted the Orange Tips, first was a female,
P1610064.JPG
This male settled when the sun went in, showing it's beautiful mossy underside,
P1610072.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I also saw this country fox, unusually,it stopped and stared just long enough for a couple of photos.
Attachments
P1610025.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cracking shot of the fox Mark. By the time I've taken off the close-up lens they've always disappeared.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I thought of you when I took that picture, Pauline! I wasn't using a close lens that day. Just as well, because as you say, it would have been long gone by time I finished fiddling around.

I found a new Orange Tip site recently,a patch of sheltered ground neat a canal, which was full of garlic mustard. Unlike cuckoo flowers, the amount of garlic mustard varies a great deal from year to year, as it is biennial, that is, the amount of flowering plants depends on a fresh crop of new seedlings each year. The Orangetips found it much quicker than me, and adults, eggs and caterpillars were plentiful. One morning last week, I went to see them waking up. An Orange Tip paradise, which gave pleasure like no other! :D :D :D . Here are some glorious males,
P1610185.JPG
P1610205.JPG
P1610250.JPG
P1610251.JPG
And some females,
P1610195.JPG
P1610200.JPG
I can't get enough of them! But soon they will be gone for another year. Here is a Green-veined White.
P1610229.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

I can't get to grips with Green Veined Whites so far this year, Mark, so that last image of yours has made me very envious! :mrgreen:

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Apart from PBF in Cornwall, I've been a bit short on the scarcer spring species so far. So recently I decided to put that right with an outing to Bison Hill, Whipsnade Downs. A visit straight out of the top drawer, with most of the classic spring downland species seen. On the hawthorns were Green Hairstreaks,
P1610280.JPG
While in the sheltered areas, Duke of Burgundies were in reasonable numbers
P1610324.JPG
P1610420.JPG
At the bottom of the slope in particular, were the two spring Skippers, Grizzed and Dingy.
P1610441.JPG
P1610450.JPG
A super day. For a change, the weather was good,too! :D
Attachments
P1610429.JPG
P1610390.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots and a great return for your visit Essex :D Love the one-spot Greenstreak :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

ADONIS BLUES

Although less abundant, the late-spring generation of Adonis Blues is perhaps my favourite, where these sparkling adults fly over the glorious yellow horseshoe vetch. And nowhere is this displayed better than at Mill Hill in Sussex. Good numbers are currently present,and I saw several mating pairs on my visit last week. I also saw a Neil Hulme, who was showing the North Yorkshire Dukes man around the site. There is something almost magical about the combination of brilliant blue butterflies, and the brilliant carpet of yellow vetch here.
P1610733.JPG
P1610832.JPG
A cluster of Adonis Blues sups at some delicious dog dirt,
P1610769.JPG
Then, along the dreaded coast road, onto Park Gate Down in Kent, where the monkey orchids are nearing their peak, with fly orchids present too.
P1610865.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Adonis from Mill Hill, Essex. :) The horseshoe vetch there is more spectacular than anywhere, I think. And I share your view of that coast road, too - I once spent well over an hour getting from one side of Hastings to the other...

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It's awful. Very frustrating. Next time, I will drive up the M23, around the M25 and down the M20. A long way round, but probably quicker than driving through Hastings!

One of the reasons I choose Mill Hill over other Adonis Blue sites, in spring, is the vetch, which is equally pretty as the butterflies. I would be interested to hear of a more splendid carpet.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It's been several years since I visited Martin Down. This is not the best site for Marsh Fritillary- I see much higher numbers in Cornwall, and also at Cerne Abbas Giants hill, in Dorset. But it is certainly much easier to get to from the east of England, and is a great site for a wide range of wildlife. We saw several Fritillaries, especially near the Bockerly Dyke. Most were males.
P1610902.JPG
P1610965.JPG
The only female we saw was so heavy, she seemed unable to fly.
P1610967.JPG
Reasonable numbers of Small Blues were nice to see, my first of the year,
P1620034.JPG
Some really nice fresh Common Blues were seen, again, mostly near the dyke,
P1610922.JPG
This Green had a nice streak,
P1610941.JPG
Full list included, Grizzed Skipper, Dingy Skipper, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Green veined White, Small Blues, Brown Argus, Common Blue, Adonis Blue, Small Copper, Painted Lady, Speckled Wood and Small Heath.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Essex, some lovely Marshies there :D Did you see the Burnt-tip Orchids about half way along the Dyke?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Some nice flowers were present. The blue, sometimes white, chalk milkwort, and more popular with the photographer, some nice burnt orchids.
P1620040.JPG
P1610988.JPG
Yellowhammers were common here, with a few corn bunting singing too. The cuckoo was heard and, perhaps even better, we heard the wonderful purring turtle dove.
P1610998.JPG
Hi Wurzel, the answer is. Yes! :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Welcome to early summer. After weeks of south, east and north winds, we can expect the westerlies to return during June, with all that implies in terms of weather. Bands of wind and rain will sweep across the country, and nowhere will that be felt more than western Scotland.

We now loose the freshness of spring. Gone are the bluebells,the May blossom and the Orange Tips, and the leaves are taking on a darker hue. As the first Large Skippers and Meadow Browns emerge, exciting thing are still to come, of course. But a tinge of regret remains, it's hard not to look back at the innocence of spring.
Attachments
P1620300.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Just caught up with your Martin Down trip, Essex. Those are lovely photos, especially the Marsh Fritillaries. The female is exceptionally full of eggs and may well have been unable to fly easily except in bright sunshine - you just hope she makes it to a scabious before she bursts! :)

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I wholeheartedly agree, Dave. She was the only female we saw, so had all the males to herself!

A couple of years ago,I mentioned that I hoped Ravens would follow Buzzards, and breed in Essex for the first time. Well I'm pleased to say, this has now happened. From their strongholds on western coasts and hills, they have been spreading east, into the lowlands. A very different habitat for them, but no one, myself included, could ever have imagined how successfully Buzzards would colonise the county, so hopefully Ravens will also become a firmly established breeder.

One of the sounds of lazy summer days, in eastern lowland arable farms, is the wonderful purring Turtle Dove. This lovely bird has greatly declined, even in Essex, which has one of the best populations. In the 80's they were common in the general countryside, but now you need to go to a nature reserve to see them. They need less a intensive arable system, where arable weeds such as chickweed, trefoils and clovers grow on field edges and tracks, to breed successfully. A couple of weeks ago, I went to see some.
Attachments
DSCF8831.JPG
DSCF8769.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

essexbuzzard wrote: We now loose the freshness of spring. Gone are the bluebells,the May blossom and the Orange Tips, and the leaves are taking on a darker hue. As the first Large Skippers and Meadow Browns emerge, exciting thing are still to come, of course. But a tinge of regret remains, it's hard not to look back at the innocence of spring.
Very poetic Mark...well put and although it instills a touch of sadness there is still much to look forward to :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great view of the Turtle Doves Essex, they're still a welcome sound on a days butterflying at Martin Down, long may they continue to grace our shores :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

At the Essex Heath Fritillary sites, the adults have now emerged, slightly earlier than usual. Much work is being done for their conservation,and I was most impressed with the site I visited last Wednesday. More cow-wheat, more coppice habitat- and more adults! I am far more optimistic for their future here than I was when I visited a couple of years ago. :D
Attachments
P1620390.JPG
P1620431.JPG
P1620423.JPG
P1620380.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Essex :mrgreen: - I was just thinking about what to do next week :D Such variation - one of the Heaths in the final shot is very dark indeed 8) Do you know if they have they started emerging in Kent?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”