Workington Cumbria

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
ianc

Workington Cumbria

Post by ianc »

The Small blues were out in good numbers today as were the Common Blues and the Small Heaths only the 1 Dingy Skipper seen and I got my first Mother Shipton Moth.
The Marsh Fritillarys are out at Finglandrigg nr Carlisle.
Ian
Dave

Re: Workington Cumbria

Post by Dave »

Hi - Could you give details on this site as I was looking for a closer Small Blue site than Dorset which is where I normally see them. I'm in Cheshire so it's not too far to Workington.
ianc

Post by ianc »

Hi! Dave,
At Workington you need Derwent drive for the superstores, take the Morrisons turn. then right for Halfords, park at the r/h end of Halfords and take the small path to the right up to the road 80yds, cross the road then bear left 30yds you will see a set of broken steps going downwards through the bushes, when at the bottom of the steps check the scrub both left and right, do not go onto the railtrack covered by cctv. it is only a small area about 100yds but you should see 20+ Small Blue.As you are in the area you should also check below the wind turbines along from Workington harbour, then off to Maryport both sides of the harbour there also have Small Blues.
atb Ian
Dave

Post by Dave »

Brilliant - thanks for that, if it ever stops raining I'll be there!!!
ianc

Post by ianc »

Hi! Dave,
Went again this am rain due heavy cloud and a breeze and only 12degs and still found 8 Small Blue, 4 Common Blue and 4 Small Heath.
Ian

Return to “Sites”