Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

That is a great shot of the female Holly Blue Goldie :D I hope so too about the 12th as the Marshies have started emerging :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks very much Wurzel and Dave, I didn't know Dave that the female's didn't look for mud, this one was looking for moisture I think, we've had to water the Garden's here and some rivers are dry that could account for what she was doing, glad you told me about the markings, it's the first time I've seen them on a Holly Blue, I think all my shots have been Male up to now. :)

Thanks Wurzel for your comments they're always welcome, you say the Marsh Frit's are out down there, up here the Duke's are coming out also the Pearl's and the Hair Streaks, so today I've gone mad and done two days cleaning in one :lol: So hope fully I'll get to Gait Barrow tomorrow, a bit close to going a way so let's hope it's worth it. :lol:

I was doing some gardening today and hanging the washing out when my Husband spotted a small White Butterfly, it's the first that's actually stopped in the Garden to my Knowledge this year, I grabbed my camera stuck my head between the washing and just managed a shot before it flew off, to my surprise it was an Orange Tip Female, I didn't do it justice but at last some thing in the garden and an OT at that ! Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5786.jpeg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good luck for tomorrow Goldie - the weather looks to be good. And it doesn't look so bad down here at the weekend either if you're heading south.

Yes, it's worth checking all white butterflies at the moment; lots seem to be female Orange Tips! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, looks like my trip down South is off, I seem to have picked up a Bug of some kind, either that or I did too much walking at Gait Barrow yesterday, confined to the house today and it's 20c outside, :roll: I'm not taking the chance on traveling tomorrow, if anybody knows of any Grizzled Skipper near us for when I get better please let me know, I've heard they were in North Wales I'm wondering if they still are.

Has I said yesterday I went to Gait Barrow and when I saw the Barrier a round the Duke site knew they were out for sure, the only trouble is they never seem to land in front of you and always stay far a way so most of my shots are taken quite a distance from them, having said that it didn't take long for three or four men that were there to climb under the barrier to take their shots, I'm afraid I'm old fashioned and if things are put there to protect , I was brought up to respect that. So I'm the only one that suffered the long shots, ( besides which my Husband would not have been pleased if I'd gone under the Barrier, he's old fashioned has well :lol: )
I found a Green Hair Streak that was letting people get shots, me included, then went on to find the Dingy Skipper, which was enjoying nectar with two more which flew a way has we approached leaving me to get my shots,
We also walked quite a way looking for the Pearls, we didn't find them, I know they're at Warton Craig so when I recover I'll go there Next. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_58af.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5899.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58b1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58a0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58a8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58b3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58b6.jpeg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Goldie. Get well soon - what a shame you had to call your trip off.

You are not old-fashioned, unless simple respect for a landowner's/manager's wishes is now out of date. Good on you for staying on the right side of the barrier.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for that Guy, I thought it awful what they were doing at the time, it started with just one man then of course it escalated
I was abit disgusted and after my shots I walked a way looking further along the site, when I got back four are five men were inside the barrier and were coming back to the path, needless to say the Dukes had stopped flying because of all the disturbance, it's the first time iv'e witnessed this at GB, I expect it won't be the last time.Goldie :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad you got your Dukes Goldie...and the right way too :D Get well soon :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I'm still feeling sorry for myself on missing the holiday and the Grizzles but my Husband say's when the weather picks up (it's going to rain I think) and I'm feeling better we'll go hunt the Pearl's. :D

Being has I'm stuck here I thought to cheer myself up with another few shots from GB Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_589a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58a3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58a4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_58b4.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Dingy Goldie :D The butterflies will wait and the anticipation will make them all the more sweeter when you do get out :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Wurzel, I could do with some decent shots of GHS now :D There was people there shooting so I didn't like being too pushy :D Also the Hair Streak was on the ground amongst the mosses I'd sooner see them in the bush's easier to shoot and usually in line with your Camera :D
I'm feeling much better today another day hope fully will do it ,if not like you say when I do see them it will be sweeter. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Sorry to hear you have been ill...hope you are feeling better now.

I see that you have seen the dukes at Gait barrow, I saw reports that they were out and wondered if you had been to see them yet. I also see that the Pearls are flying at Warton Crag so good luck if you go there.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

It's a shame you had to postpone your trip south, Goldie. I hope you're on the mend now. You found some great butterflies up there though! Dukes and Dingies and Green Hairstreaks... Not to be sneezed at (if that's not the wrong thing to say!).

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes, get well soon Goldie, like Millerd says, you are still seeing some nice species :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's every one for your kind comments, I think it was a 24hr Bug I caught, seems there's a lot of people with it round here, it's just unfortunate I got it at the wrong time, I'm feeling better now and ready to go but there's no place like home if your not feeling to good.
Yes Neil, I'm going to Warton Craig if possible and the Boss agree's :lol: I'll have to wait and see what the weather's like in the next few days, I won't be going up the Craig though, I spoke to some one at GB who'd been there that morning and he said they were at the lower slopes which would suit me fine and he'd counted 10 so fingers crossed :D

Gate Barrow is a great place for Butterflies Dave if you hit it at the right time, I was only up there a week or two before and there was no sign of them, If I leave it bit longer the Northern Brown Argus should join them and may be more Pearls will be out there,
last year I hit it right both species of Pearls were out Dukes, Hair Streaks and some lovely Moths. :D

Thanks Bugboy, your doing very well with the Species ,I aways look for what you've seen I see you've posted :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Feeling much better today and the forecast was good for Gait Barrow, so we set off determined not to do too much just take another look at the Dukes and see if I couldn't get a photo nearer to the edge of the corded off area and just maybe we'd be lucky to see a Pearl BF.
The first part was good I managed shots of a mating pair near the corded area but sadly no Pearls, still time for them, we didn't want to walk a lot so we just went to see the Slipper Orchids then home, still we enjoyed the nice weather and I found my feet again Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_2845.jpg
IMG_2849.jpg
IMG_2825.jpg
fullsizeoutput_58fc.jpeg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Lovely Dukes Goldie, I'm going to miss them again this year, now the 4th year running! Hopefully next year I'll be reunited with these lovely little butterflies.

ATB

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking find Goldie - a sight I have still to witness :D :mrgreen: Glad you found your feet again :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done, Goldie - not something you see every day. :) And those slipper orchids look amazing! :) I'm glad you're over the bug, too.

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

a few of these :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for those mating Dukes!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see the slipper orchids, Goldie....and maybe even better to see the Dukes! Time is running out for me to gain an audience with this species in the UK in 2017. It's next weekend or bust, basically! :(

Return to “Personal Diaries”