Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pauline

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:Those green hairstreak pictures are among the finest I have seen...
Yes. You've got the lighting just right to generate that beautiful emerald sheen.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for confirmation of moth ID Neil - kind of you to take the trouble :D
Neil Freeman wrote:some more beautiful images lately, difficult to pick out which I like best, they all have something that I like about them :D
Neil, I could say exactly the same thing to you but thank you so much :D

Cheers Wurzel - it's great isn't it, having so much choice :D Head for the Pearls would be my advice - after all, Wood Whites have a second brood and Dukes may have a second brood too; in fact anything could happen in these crazy times :roll: :lol:

That was a great day, wasn't it Goldie? Fingers crossed for this year :D

Wow! Mark, your comment has just blown me away - thank you. Just wish I could take landscapes and bird images as good as yours :mrgreen:

Great to hear from you Gary and I really appreciate the compliment - thank you.

Thank you David. Not quite sure how I managed it - but I do seem to get a lot of practice, sometimes in challenging conditions. Today was one of those times. At last I had the chance to nip up to Broxhead to check out what was happening there with the Small Coppers. Trouble was the gale. It is still bending the trees almost double as I type and it was whipping my hair around, tying it in knots and obscuring my vision :roll: :evil: As I arrived I saw Ern's car. He clearly had the same idea as me and as he discovered the 30+ butterflies here late in the Autumn I hoped he was having some success. I quickly caught up with him and was disappointed that he had only seen 2 Small Coppers. In the short time we were there I spotted 4, possibly 5, different Coppers - a long way short of the Autumn total. However, for the most part they looked newly emerged and as this is a late site I am hopeful there is more to come yet. As might be expected, the butterflies preferred to stay low, out of the worst of the weather, so a few snapshots below:
P2020035ad.jpg
P2020043ad.jpg
P2020061ad.jpg
Note damaged antennae
P2020067ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see Small Coppers are alive and well elsewhere in the UK!! This is the most notable absentee from my 2017 list so far this year, and I am becoming increasingly concerned for them round my way.

If only I had a 'Dungeness' type site to visit.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, very nice Coppers, Pauline. :) I particularly like the first underside shot (with the wonky antenna). And like David, I've yet to see one local to me or indeed anywhere else. :(

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Glad to see you found some David but those Wall Brown images, a couple in particular, are really special :mrgreen:

Thank you too Dave - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

I've spent an insane amount of time recently watching Green Hairstreak pupa and I've come to the conclusion that it is just not possible to determine when the emergence of the butterfly is imminent. It is irrelevant if the pupa moves. When it is possible to see a 'flutter' of the wing beneath the casing, when the whole body jerks or twitches, when the colour of the butterfly is visible, when the shape changes and certain parts become more defined - don't be fooled. None of these are reliable indicators and emergence can still be a couple of weeks off. Even taking into account weather conditions and temperature this has got to be one of the most difficult butterflies to predict. If you add to that the fact that I also have a multitude of other jobs that HAVE to be done, trying to see and capture the actual emergence on camera becomes almost impossible. Take yesterday for example - I was cleaning out the rabbits whilst trying to watch the pupa. We're not talking little rabbit hutch here. Oh no! They live in a 12' kennel, attached to a 12' run attached to an 8' shed so it is not possible to stay in one spot. Nevertheless, I kept glancing at the pupa, and yes, I missed the actual emergence AGAIN by about 10 seconds!!!! :( :roll: The first thing I noticed was that the position of the pupa had changed and then I saw this little creature sitting on the moss:
P2020080bd.jpg
P2020085ad.jpg
(see pupal case in the background)
P2020085bd.jpg
This little lady seemed quite content to sit on the moss whilst her wings inflated, ignoring the twig which was available - I had checked that there definitely wasn't another butterfly already on it :lol: As I watched, her hind wings inflated before her fore wings which I seem to recall was not the case with the previous ones. Furthermore, the rear wings seemed to have a bit of a kink in them. It is at this point that I usually have a little panic, imagining that the butterfly is going to be deformed. Not sure why cos it has always been alright in the past. Anyway, in the circumstances I thought that getting the butterfly up a twig might help so I moved the twig right in front of her:
P2020089ad.jpg
P2020098ad.jpg
P2020106ad.jpg
P2020108ad.jpg
P2020118ad.jpg

I was still battling with the wind and despite the fact that the butterfly was low down in a sheltered position the wings were being buffeted about somewhat:
P2020126ad.jpg
P2020137ad.jpg
P2020140ad.jpg
Eventually I was able to place her in the holding cage prior to release:
P2020154ad.jpg

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Not much else I can say Pauline except Quality!

Nice Job

Andy

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Stunning fresh Green Hairstreak, stunning photo, Pauline :D

Mike

kevling

Post by kevling »

Pauline,

That is a lovely sequence of GH photos. The last shot in particular.

Regards Kev

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

amazing pictures Pauline :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning sequence Pauline :shock: :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Guys - thank you for your very generous comments but y'know, it has been a real privilege to witness these 'mini miracles' and well worth the wait (just wish it wasn't over so fast). I have now been lucky enough to rear all the British Hairstreaks but not frequently enough, and not in sufficient numbers, to know whether the behaviour I have noted is typical. However, the Green Hairstreaks seem quite different from the other British Hairstreaks - the best way I can describe it is a 'laid back' approach. I have watched the butterflies using a variety of different plants on which to egg-lay - Gorse, Broom, Bird's Foot Trefoil and a couple of others whose names escape me right now. The larva are quite unfussy and will eat any or all of these plants, seemingly unconcerned if they are transferred onto a different food source, unlike some species I have reared. They have not been problematic to rear (perhaps I'm just getting better at it :wink: ) although that didn't stop me from worrying about them at times! :roll: Very noticeable was the difference on emergence. Other Hairstreaks have scurried across to their twigs in a frantic rush, looking a bit like a demented spider. The Green Hairstreaks emerged and just sat looking cute, waiting for their wings to inflate - unless the twig was very close by (lazy or what!!! :lol: ). Perhaps the differences are linked to the fact that these Hairstreaks are the only British Hairstreaks to over winter as a pupa, which, together with their catholic approach to larval food plants must surely aid their survival. Anyway, just because I think the species is amazing, a few more pre release shots as the butterfly takes nectar and 'sun bathes' in the style of the other Hairstreaks - so some similarities too.
P2020168ad.jpg
P2020217ad.jpg
(note the meconium on the twig)
P2020223ad.jpg
P2020228ad.jpg
P2020244ad.jpg
P2020311ad.jpg
P2020336ad.jpg
P2020352ad.jpg
(soaking up the precious sun's rays :D )

I now have only one chance left this year to get that actual 'emergence' shot but with an incredibly busy week ahead that is now looking less and less likely. Won't stop me from trying tho'! :lol:

peterc

Post by peterc »

Some fantastic images, Pauline. Patience is paying off :)

I suspect some foodplants are more successful than others in terms of fecundity. As you probably know, according to Thomas and Lewington's book, Dyer's Greenweed Genista tinctoria is the preferred choice where it grows for females to lay eggs.

ATB

Peter

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I must have an old copy of that book Peter – perhaps it has now been updated as I seem to recall it stating that the female GH has a preference for tender shoots when egg-laying as opposed to any particular plant. Matthew Oates has been more specific regarding their food plant requirements stating that ‘Dyer’s Greenweed is used occasionally’ but then that relates specifically to Hampshire. Last year was a particularly good one for GH in my neck of the woods and I watched many females egg-laying on Dogwood which seemed to be a clear favourite at that time, closely followed by Bird’s Foot Trefoil. Of course it is important to be aware of what the experts have recorded and concluded (Frowhawk cites an example of a single GH living in captivity for 39 days which seems an awfully long time to me?) but I think that personal experience and observation and questioning are important too. New things are being discovered all the time which is apparent from a perusal of this site. In recent years I have found that butterfly behaviour can vary greatly depending on location. As a result I think it is important also not to make too many assumptions, just because a particular trait has been recorded at a specific venue or witnessed a couple of times. Anyway, that’s just a few of my thoughts. Thank you for your very kind comment. Given your recent enquiry regarding the lens I use I thought you might be interested to know that the camera was hand held – on this occasion mainly held with one hand as the other was holding open the flap of the cage! :roll:

Another overcast freezing cold day – not far off June and I’m wearing 2 jumpers!!!! :( : – so another update on the immatures. A few days ago I went to check the PH larva and on the top of their cage I saw what looked like a pile of rabbit droppings :shock: . Talk about making assumptions!!!! :lol: Closer inspection revealed that they were indeed frass but what a size and where – or what – did it come from. Something pretty big for sure :? . I looked up at the neglected hanging basket above. It hadn’t been watered for weeks but still held a few violets and loads of ivy. The long strands of ivy had been stripped so I lifted the basket down for a closer look. Quite gingerly I ferreted about in the leaf litter and found this extremely large larva which I now believe to be an Old Lady. (Note size of frass).
P2010874ad.jpg
Anyway, all the PH larva were found to be present and hopefully at the correct stage of development:
P2010886ad.jpg

peterc

Post by peterc »

Hi Pauline,

I couldn't agree more with your comments relating to GH female preferences for larval foodplants. Other factors come into play too like micro-climate.

Thank you for telling me you used your camera hand-held for your super photos. I had a go using a tripod while trying taking shots of Orange-tip eggs - didn't make the slightest bit of difference but I am sure I am missing something :). Nice shot of the PH larva by the way.

ATB

Peter

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love those Green Hair Streak shots Pauline , see you soon Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

There's no such thing as perfection, Pauline, but you've come pretty close with those Green Hairstreak images.

A wonderful sequence.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's been great 'chatting' to you Peter. Thank you for your kind words and I'll reply to your PM shortly :D

I'm looking forward to seeing you both again Goldie but just in case the weather isn't what we would hope for (esp Sunday) we have another pair of eyes to help - very knowledgeable about butterflies, generous with his knowledge and time, very sharp-eyed .... and he's got a smashing dog :D

Gosh David, when I started taking shots of butterflies I never imagined I would ever get such a compliment. Thank you ever so much. I have to say tho' that a newly emerged Hairstreak is quite inspirational and much closer to perfection than my shots ever could be :)

Yesterday Andy was about 15 mile away up a hill in a t-shirt 'sweating' and seeing a good range of butterflies, whilst I was wearing 2 jumpers yet still shivering in my garden with nothing flying (or emerging!). By lunchtime I'd had enough and decided to take a quick look at local sites, not expecting too much. At the first site I saw quite a few moths and larva. Whilst crawling around on the grass I looked up and was quite alarmed to see this:
P2020374ad.jpg
It wasn't the size or proximity that concerned me. Oh no! It was the fact that he was losing his winter coat in chunks and kept stopping to scratch at it. All I could think about was all those ticks he was probably shedding and wondering how many were on me :roll: :evil:

The next site was the Small Copper site which was looking distinctly parched and badly scratched up by badgers and rabbits. The number of Small Coppers hadn't increased from the previous visit but I did see my first Common Blue.
P2020387ad.jpg
It was now 2.30pm and suddenly the sun broke through. I turned straight for home as I had not yet released my little female GH due to the continued cold weather. I don't like keeping them longer than necessary and I had wanted to return her sooner but she had been very lethargic as a result of the low temperatures. I thought if I returned her to NH and placed her on a branch or flower she was at risk of predation. However, now she was quite active and it wasn't long before she was back in the exact spot where the egg was laid. The Hill was covered in butterflies, several egg-laying including this Green Hairstreak (wonder if she was one of 'mine' as it was just where I released the other females? :lol: )
P2020412ad.jpg
This Holly Blue also looked as though she might have been egg-laying but I couldn't find one:
P2020398ad.jpg
Whislt chatting to a very nice gentleman, a trustee from the HIWWT, a large orange/brown butterfly flew past and we both said 'what was that - it's too big for a Small Heath'. However, Small Heath it was and the biggest either of us had ever seen:
P2020406ad.jpg
It was time to leave but before I did I stopped to take a few shots of the Dukes which seem to be everywhere now:
P2020428ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Shots Pauline, sorry I'm going to miss so much my shots of the GHS not too good, what can I say, barriers for the Duke, I would have got some great shots with you of the Duke, not to worry, must have got my bug yesterday :lol: Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Please don't worry Goldie - just get well soon. There will be another time and Mark (Tutts) and Hazel fully understand.

I was long overdue a visit to a friend in Chiddingfold and I was sort of hoping I could kill 2 birds with one stone and take a look at the Wood Whites as well. My first surprise when I arrived at her lovely, unique home in the woods was to be shown the local magazine with one of my photos in it :o . I was totally unaware - quite a compliment really - but I do wish they had selected a better shot. Anyway Philip, if you should happen to be reading this good luck with the talk next month. I might even attend :D
P2020655d.jpg
By the time we had had a good old chin wag and a cup of coffee and I had 'inspected' the numerous improvements which had recently been carried out, time was getting on. I needed to get a move on as I had to be home by lunch time. My first stop was to check out the WA cats but disappointingly I could not find them - just a lizard and loads of spiders"! However, a bit further on I spotted another cat which was slightly smaller I believe than those I saw previously:
P2020537ad.jpg
My aim today was not to take pretty pictures but to observe and photographically record behaviour so it was great to see 3 or 4 females egg-laying:
P2020560ad.jpg
P2020567bd.jpg
P2020565ad.jpg
One of the females I was watching took frequent rests between egg-laying and dandelion clocks seemed to be a favourite place:
P2020521a.djpg.jpg
P2020577ad.jpg
P2020624ad.jpg
P2020589ad.jpg
I stopped to watch that curious little ritual between male and female where he strokes her with his proboscis and then wacks her with his antennae. I am struggling to make sense of it as a courtship ritual as I had previously been watching the female egg-laying and I imagine her rejection would have been swifter. I can't remember if any conclusion was drawn from previous debates but it is fascinating to watch:
P2020619ad.jpg
P2020601ad.jpg
P2020598ad.jpg
Whilst ferreting around in the foliage I came across a very predatory looking beetle which I have not seen before:
P2020532ad.jpg
A few more shots of the Wood Whites and then it would be time to go - getting on for mid-day now and I needed to get back:
P2020510ad.jpg
P2020627ad.jpg

As I made my way back to the car I spotted a mating pair and stopped to take a few shots.............. but then a strange thing happened. :shock: A whole load of wet stuff was poured out of the sky, soaking my camera and myself :? I took a quick record shot and left them to it as I scurried back to the car:
P2020648ad.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Fri May 12, 2017 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Pauline. Your predatory creature is a snakefly - very weird-looking insects!
Pauline wrote:.............. but then a strange thing happened. :shock: A whole load of wet stuff was poured out of the sky, soaking my camera and myself :? I took a quick record shot and left them to it as I scurried back to the car...
Things certainly have changed if rain in the UK is counted a strange thing !! :D

Guy

PS - brilliant images and observations, I should add - but yours always are.

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”