CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: CFB

Post by David M »

I'm surprised to hear this, Roger. Is the season particularly 'behind' in SE France at the moment?

Colin, love all your sightings, but the fresh Baton Blue stands out. A lovely specimen.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Roger, the one and only Large Tortoiseshell I've seen this year was on March 11, and I'll consider myself very lucky if I see a Camberwell Beauty. I agree with you concerning the strange weather. There also seems to have been more wind lately, which doesn't help.

David, thanks for your comments.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Not many butterflies flying today even though it's sunny with no clouds anywhere. I suppose it's due to a cool breeze.

I saw two Spanish Festoons, including this very new-looking specimen,
IMG_3721.JPG
several Glanville Fritillaries and Wall Browns, a few Berger's Clouded Yellows, one Southern White Admiral, one Adonis Blue, some Small Heaths and one female Orange-tip.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Once again not much activity this morning except for this Burnet moth. My best guess is that it is a Zygaena lavandulae, also known as Broom Burnet or White Collared Burnet.
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG
There was a Glanville Fritillary that allowed me to get quite close.
IMG_3738.JPG
Otherwise there were Wall Browns, Small Heaths and not much else.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yesterday I encountered my first Red-underwing Skipper (?)
IMG_3769.JPG
and Marsh Fritillary of the year.
IMG_3762.JPG
I also saw a Grizzled Skipper, a couple of Spanish Festoons, a Southern Small White and a few Glanville Fritillaries.

Today I saw a Grizzled Skipper (?),
IMG_3775.JPG
a Painted Lady,
IMG_3798.JPG
some Glanville Fritillaries, Wall Browns and Speckled Woods.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning in the Parc de la Brague I saw three or four Southern White Admirals,
IMG_3838.JPG
a great number of Provence Chalkhill Blues, including this couple,
IMG_3841.JPG
one or two Pearly Heaths, the first of the year,
IMG_3848.JPG
two Large Whites,
IMG_3854.JPG
and one Scarce Swallowtail.
IMG_3857.JPG
Also Meadow Browns, Glanville Fritillaries, Clouded Yellows, Wall Browns and Speckled Woods.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Colin,
A nice array of seasonal photos.
Thanks for the head-up on the Pearly Heaths, I hope I'll see my first round here very soon.
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning along the Piste du Collet des Espéres I saw two first-of-the-year Fritillaries, a Knapweed Fritillary
IMG_3865.JPG
and a Spotted Fritillary.
IMG_3869.JPG
Once again there were numerous Provence Chalkhill Blues, including this mating couple.
IMG_3870.JPG
Two or three Southern White Admirals, including this unusual under-side shot.
IMG_3875.JPG
A few Berger's Clouded Yellows, Adonis Blues and Small Heaths, and many Glanville Fritillaries.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

That Spotted Fritillary looks highly unusual, Colin.

Do you see many with such bold forewing spots?

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote:That Spotted Fritillary looks highly unusual ...
That's what struck me too. I've never seen markings like that, could this be described as aberrant?
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Chris, David,

I agree that it looks a bit unusual. I found two similar ones in my "library", the second one in the process of being devoured :shock: .
IMG_9737.JPG
IMG_3358.JPG
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Some photos taken during the last few days.

Southern White Admiral:
IMG_3896.JPG
Pearly Heath:
IMG_3901.JPG
Knapweed Fritillary:
IMG_3911.JPG
Mating Provence Chalkhill Blues:
IMG_3916.JPG
Another couple of Provence Chalkhill Blues:
IMG_3936.JPG
Also seen: a male Cleopatra and a Scarce Swallowtail in the garden, one Small Skipper, Small Whites, Meadow Browns, Adonis Blues and one male Brimstone.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yesterday there was a Green-veined White amongst the white Lobelias in the garden.
IMG_3946.JPG
The only sightings of note this morning in the Parc de la Brague were the first Blue-spot Hairstreaks of the year.
IMG_3948.JPG
Provence Chalkhill Blues were the most numerous, followed by Adonis Blues.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

A couple of photos from the sunny south of France.

A male Provence Chalkhill Blue from yesterday,
IMG_3957.JPG
and a Marbled White from this morning, the first of the year.
IMG_3964.JPG
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful Marbled White, Colin....or should that be 'Marbled Black'?

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks David. A pity about the leaf covering a bit of the starboard wing though.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A nice shot of the Marbled White, Colin.
I hope this means I'll also get my first yearly sighting soon.
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:A nice shot of the Marbled White, Colin.
I hope this means I'll also get my first yearly sighting soon.
Chris
Surely any time now, Chris. Two fresh individuals were seen by us in the Pyrenees last week so they are definitely 'on the cusp'.

CFB

Post by CFB »

Chris Jackson wrote:A nice shot of the Marbled White
Thanks Chris.

This morning I saw my first Two-tailed Pasha of the year. Alas, no photo. :(
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

The heat and the wind are presumably the reason for there being few butterflies in flight in my part of the world.

A male Adonis Blue a couple of days ago on some dried up mud.
IMG_3987.JPG
A False Ilex Hairstreak, the first of the year, was on a Helichrysum stoechas plant in the garden for perhaps half an hour this morning.
IMG_4005.JPG
This afternoon I saw many Cleopatras, both male and female, but no photos.
--
Colin

Return to “Personal Diaries”