essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: essex buzzard

Post by David M »

That penultimate image reinforces your claim regarding this wood being the best in the UK for bluebells, Mark.

That is nothing less than an astonishing carpet of blue. Even in a photograph I can almost see the colour shimmering. A spectacular sight for sure, and you are very lucky to have it within striking distance of your home.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks David. To be honest, pictures do not do the sight,or the scent, justice. More bluebells to come, but I've got a bit of catching up to do...

CORNWALL

Just back from our holiday. My first port of call was the south east of the country. I have only fairly recently started to visit this area of Cornwall, but it has quickly become one of my favourite areas,especially at this time of year. The woods,paths and road verges are full of bluebells, stitchwort and wild garlic, and the area is good for butterflies.
P1600416.JPG
Just along the coast from Seaton, a colony of Pearl-bordered Fritillary can be found. They emerge early on this south-facing site,in mid-late April. Although it was fairly cloudy, it was just bright enough to encourage activity and several were seen. They spent much time resting on the ground, allowing for picture taking. Other butterflies were fewer than expected. Only the odd Holly Blue was around,normally they are common here, and only one Small Copper, but Walls and Speckled Wood were in reasonable numbers. :)
Attachments
P1600491.JPG
P1600481.JPG
P1600471.JPG
P1600441.JPG
P1600438.JPG
P1600431.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Great report and photos from Seaton...I have fond memories of that part of Cornwall from when we had family holidays there back in the 1970s and I was but a nipper.:D We were always there in the main holiday weeks in August so far too late for the PBFs...if they were there back then.

Cheers,

Neil

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks for your comments, Neil. For me, this is a much nicer area to visit in spring.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

At Looe, a lovely drake eider was on the beach. It should be in its northern breeding grounds by now, however, he seems to prefer the local herring gulls!
Attachments
DSCF8332.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The next couple of days were much needed family time. However, I managed early and late visits to Marazion and Hayle estuary. The beach at Marazion, overlooking St. Michael's Mount, had lots of migratin whimberels, as well as a few bar-tailed godwits, some of which were in breeding plumage. Dunlin and rigged plover were present, too. In the reedbed, reed and sedge warblers were present. Unfortunately I missed a cattle egret that was present a couple of days earlier, though several little egrets required checking.
Attachments
Sedge warbler
Sedge warbler
Whimberel
Whimberel
Bar-tailed godwits
Bar-tailed godwits

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I also saw this lovely female stonechat at Marazion,
DSCF8464.JPG
As they are nearly always present in pairs, I knew her mate wouldn't be far away,
DSCF8466.JPG
Kites are still a scarce bird in Cornwall, so I was delighted to see one circling over Madron Church, a place that is dear to me,
DSCF8422.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

At Hayle, a spoonbill has been present over winter, occasionally joined by a second bird. I missed it a few weeks ago, so it was nice to catch up with it this time, here with a green shank.
Attachments
DSCF8443.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

And here is St. Michael's Mount, from the coast path between Marazion and Perranuthnoe,early one morning.
Attachments
P1600505.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

After a tough winter, it was good to have some family time together. But now it was time get back to some walking, with another section of the South-west Coast Path. The length between Coverack and Lizard point is south-facing, with a lush, well vegetated character.

Coverack is an attractive little place, with a picture postcard setting and harbour. The path heads south, reaching Downas Cove and Carrick Luz, site of an Iron Age cliff fort, before heading to Kennack Sands, a popular beach resort . During this section the sun was shinning, and both Speckled Woods and Walls were common, with the odd Green-veined White in damper areas. It seems strange seeing Speckled Woods and Walls chasing each other down the leafy path, in eastern England they fly in completely different habitats. I also saw lots of silk tents full of caterpillars on the flowering blackthorn bushes. The cliff tops here are grazed by Shetland ponies.

Cadgewith is a pretty little fishing village, with many thatched cottages. Passing the Devils Frying Pan, the path heads past Church Cove,then the Lizard lifeboat station, with its new boathouse, then onto the Bass Point National Coastwatch lookout. The flowers here were spectacular, a mix of bluebells and three corner leeks making a glorious combination. By 2.30PM, I had arrived at Lizard Point lighthouse, where I had lunch in Britains most southerly cafe.
Attachments
P1600706.JPG
Cadgewith
Cadgewith
P1600688.JPG
P1600680.JPG
P1600676.JPG
Caterpillars
Caterpillars
P1600666.JPG
Coverack
Coverack

David M

Post by David M »

What a fantastic part of the UK that is for wildlife and natural scenery, Mark! You’ve seen a hell of a lot during your trip and much of it pretty scarce stuff.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks David. As you know, I love this part of the country, though I may have swapped places with you that day you found your hotspot with all those Holly Blues, :mrgreen: which have been decidedly scarce for me so far.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It must have been great to see those Walls - they are becoming something of a rarity round our way :( Also interesting to see the 'left behind' Eider I know this happens sometimes but it still makes for an incongruous sight :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel. That eider,a full adult male, was most unexpected!

Walls, fortunately,remain common in Cornwall. Especially on the coast, but also inland. Perhaps it's all those stone walls and Cornish hedges, which make perfect habitat. Short grass for breeding, bare stones for basking and abundant flowers for feeding. :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

More great photos from Cornwall :D

It looks like I might be heading down there a couple of times this year, first in early June and then possibly a family holiday later in August.

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow Neil, you lucky thing! You will be able to see both generations of SPBF! Don't know when I am going next, been three times already this year!

After the official walk had finished,I couldn't resist walking the extra couple of miles to beyond Kynance Cove and back. I only saw one Small Copper, compared to the dozens or hundreds you can see here in autumn , though it was quite chilly by now. But the beautiful wildflowers and spectacular scenery more than made up for this. The seaside flowers are early this year and in places, a glorious carpet of spring squill made gave a cracking display.
Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Small copper
Small copper
Spring squill
Spring squill
And here some scenery shots,
Attachments
P1600749.JPG
P1600745.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Stunning scenery and a wonderful assortment of wildlife. I'm not surprised you've been three times this year already! :)

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Dave.

Next day, Thursday, we headed off to the spectacular Bedruthan Steps, east of Newquay, followed,after lunch, on to Cabilla Woods. Bedruthan was lovely in the sunshine, and we had a nice time there, but unfortunately it had clouded over by time we got to cabilla. We were hoping for Orangetips, but we had to make do with wood anemones and a nice carpet of bluebells, not bad compensation! We finished of the day with a visit to Crowns engine houses, Botallack, in Poldark country.
Attachments
Crowns engine house
Crowns engine house
P1600806.JPG
P1600798.JPG
Bedruthan steps
Bedruthan steps

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Next day, it was time to walk another section of the SW coast path, from Perranporth to Portreath. Walking out of Perranporth, past the sundial,up the hill and onto the cliff tops, I soon began seeing primroses and spring squill. It seems strange seeing these two growing together, but they often do, primroses are surprisingly common on the coast path.
P1600849.JPG
This is mining country and at St. Agnes, I took the short diversion to Wheal Kitty, now lovingly restored.
P1600859.JPG
Leaving St. Agnes, the coast path passes the iconic Wheal Coates Mine, where Ravens, buzzards and a Cornish chough were seen,before descending to Chapel Porth, an area good for Green Hairstreaks, though none were seen today
P1600865.JPG
After more cliffs,where early purple orchids grow,the path drops into Porthtowan, with it's wide sandy beach.
P1600869.JPG
P1600878.JPG
Then back up the hill,passing some MOD land, before eventually joining a small road, which descends to Portreath.
P1600890.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So we come to the last day. An early walk in Madron, to soak up the glorious views of the hills,gorse,blackthorn and mines one last time.
P1600917.JPG
We then went off to Lerryn, on a family recommendation. Never been before, but lt turned out to be a pretty little place, with footpaths through the woods where we saw a clump of pink bluebells,and a carpet of wild garlic.
P1600927.JPG
P1600930.JPG
Leaving Lerryn, driving the leafy lanes, with banks of bluebells, I suddenly spotted an Orange Tip, and slammed on the brakes. What a beauty it was.
P1600955.JPG
P1600956.JPG
Mid afternoon saw us at Polperro,a picture postcard harbour town. A Cornish cream tea was in order!
P1600964.JPG
Leaving Polperro,there was just time to visit Seaton,to check on a small patch of waste land which was full of cuckoo flowers and Orange Tip eggs. So imagine my horror when I found the whole site had been shredded to the ground! Flowers and eggs, all gone. Why do they do this? A few plants on the edges had missed the strim, so I collected a few eggs and brought them home
Shredded meadow
Shredded meadow

Return to “Personal Diaries”