Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Goldie M

Post by Pauline »

Looking at the ears and tail Goldie my guess would be a little Wood mouse. Px

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline , more wishful thinking on my part :lol: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sadly, Goldie, Dormouse is nowadays very unlikely, being a rare and endangered species, largely confined to a few areas in Southern England. I agree with Pauline that yours is most likely to be a Wood Mouse. They are regular visitors to the feeders in my garden and can be quite bold in daylight. They sometimes come quite close, when we are eating in the garden on warm days.

I snapped this confrontation between Mouse and Robin in our garden back in 2010. (feel free to delete my intrusion into your personal diary)
Abingdon, Oxon  - 12th December 2010<br />Nikon D300s with 300mm lens - 1/45s@f/5.6 ISO 1250
Abingdon, Oxon - 12th December 2010
Nikon D300s with 300mm lens - 1/45s@f/5.6 ISO 1250
Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, as Pauline and Mike say, yours is certainly a Wood Mouse. Can be told apart from the common House Mouse by larger eyes and ears and a longer tail. Also most mice seen outdoors are likely to be Wood Mice.
Great photos though, I have never seen one up on a hanging bird feeder before although I do have seen them scavenging food from under mine.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mike and Neil, I realised Dore Mice were scarce but I didn't know they were confined to the South.

I'll keep your photo Mike , it's so cute :lol: the Robin looks most indignant :lol:

I couldn't believe it myself Neil when I first saw the Mouse going up the tree, I couldn't get the camera out quick enough :lol: Goldie :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Goldie. Just to confirm the IDs of those Hong Kong butterflies, as I said I would. The only thing to add is that if you look Athyma nefte up on the web you will see quite a variety of forms, especially in the female. Your friend's is a male of the subspecies seitzi.

And I can't resist the temptation, if you will forgive me, to post a picture on your page of the dormouse that came into my kitchen last year. This is a different, much larger species than you get in the UK, but you can easily see that they are not really very mouse like, with a furry tail rather than a scaly one.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Padfield wrote:...And I can't resist the temptation, if you will forgive me, to post a picture on your page of the dormouse that came into my kitchen last year. This is a different, much larger species than you get in the UK, but you can easily see that they are not really very mouse like, with a furry tail rather than a scaly one...
I think the larger species is probably a Glis glis - known as the edible dormouse, because it was considered a delicacy by the Romans. Was this example entering your kitchen because it was emulating the dish in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"? [Douglas Adams] :lol:

As a result of an escape from the Rothschild collection at Tring, there is a British population around the Chiltern Hills, near Aylesbury.

David M

Post by David M »

That dormouse of yours, Guy, is almost a chipmunk or even a squirrel!

What did you do with it? Did you let it eat from the table or did you shoo it out?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

MikeOxon wrote:Was this example entering your kitchen because it was emulating the dish in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"? [Douglas Adams] :lol:
It's more likely it came for a tea party [Lewis Carroll]! :D

I closed the door, turned the light out and opened the window, David (not in that order). It realised there was no tea and moved on, out into the night.

Sorry to invade your space, Goldie. Just ask and I can delete posts from your diary. :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

I'm sure Goldie will enjoy this little 'aside', Guy. We all love to see these animals, but few of us get to have them as visitors at our dining tables!!!

I shall bear your tutorial in mind should I ever receive similar 'guests'! :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Guy, It's so cute, lovely bushy tail too, I don't think I'd want it in my kitchen though. :lol:
I'll keep the photo in my animals album, I love shots of unusual Birds and Animals.
I'll tell my nephew about the Butterfly and get him to look it up I'm sure he'll be interested.

Talking of Birds, I went to Yarrow Valley CP yesterday having first visited Hall-Lee-Brook CP, the difference in the two parks was stark ; at HLB I saw one Butterfly a Small White, there were no Blue Bells out, no Garlic Flowers out by the stream it was all together disappointing, that's why we decided to visit YVCP.

We didn't know what to expect but compared to HLB it was like walking into a different world , Garlic flowers every where, loads of Blue bells and flying passed my head my very first sight of an Orange Tip :D
Has the day warmed up I saw two more OT's but couldn't get any shots, I'd put a couple sanwiches up and a flask so after having lunch we set off once more.

By this time I was tired so we sat down on a bench for a rest and would you believe it this OT landed to the side of me opened it's wings has much say "well I'm here get your shot" :lol: (which I did) and off it flew. :D

On our way back to the car park I caught sight of a PC BF and this Gray Wagtail ,(hope I've got it's name right) what a great day we had after such horrible weather. Goldie :D
Attachments
Gray Wagtail 18th April (1).jpg
Gray Wagtail 18th April (2).jpg
IMG_2134.jpg
fullsizeoutput_5524.jpeg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Smashing shot of the OT Goldie - quite like the little Wagtail too :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Pauline, how lucky can you get when the BF joins you. :D The wagtail was very busy and a joy to watch, paddling a way in the stream :D

Some one has purposely set fire to Heysham Moss, in 2014 the Large heath was reintroduced back there, Chester Zoo helped with it's introduction and now the heath has been destroyed over two or three nights in an arson attack, police are looking for the culprits, I felt really sorry for the men who'd worked so hard they were on news from the North tonight and they looked dejected.Goldie :x

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad you got your Orange-tip Goldie, nice photo too :D

I remember reading about the Large Heath re-introduction at Heysham Moss a few years ago. Sorry to hear about the fire, that is terrible news.

Cheers,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

At last! Well done, Goldie. The first Orange Tip of the year is always a special moment.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a nice Orange Tip, Goldie. I hope you see a few more over the next few weeks. As they've been slow to appear in your area, they'll probably carry on longer too! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil and David. It was great just to see the Orange Tip, to get a decent shot after seeing them fly passed a few times was best. :D

It was a real disaster at Heysham Moss Neil, like the Ranger said, the plants they need will grow back but the Large Heath was in Chrysalis form and even if some were caterpillar's there's no plants for them, I just hope they catch who ever did it, it was done over two to three nights so obviously deliberate. :x

Thanks Dave, the weather doesn't seem too good next week, I'll have to try to get out this weekend and try for the GHS next :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Grey Wagtail Goldie and you got your OT :D 8) Make the most of it though as the MET are forecasting heavy wintry showers over the Bank Holdiay weekend :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I'm not looking forward to the weather next week but today I'd a good day Butterflying ,so can afford to relax and let the weather do it's worst for a week. :D

I decided because I'd seen the OT at Yarrow Valley I'd go there, the flowers were great but no OT's so I thought I'd go back to Hall-Lee-Brook, the weather had warmed up and there was less cloud after lunch so back we went, I'd only just got through the gate and we spotted an Holly Blue, (fantastic) I'd to chase it round a bit to get a shot but when it went puddling( or so I thought) I managed one or two. :D

We carried on looking round and when I saw a flash of White I tried to get through some briers without much success, so I'd to be content with wings and no head :lol: My first Green Veined White ( at least I saw one) :lol:

Further round the field we came across a Small Tort, so that was another one chalked up :D

After that we saw four are five Speckies soaring high and when they landed I managed another shot of one :D

The best was to come though has we got back to the gate this very small Butterfly came along and I couldn't believe it when I saw it was a Female Orange Tip :D What a difference a day can make :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_55a6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_55a5.jpeg
Green Veined White 22nd April.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell 22nd April.jpg
IMG_2186.jpg
fullsizeoutput_55a4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_55ae.jpeg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A good range of spring species there Goldie :). Like the Grey Wagtail earlier as well

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”