Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Philip. It's one of my all-time favourite GVW shots, but I had to lie on some nettles to get them both in focus - no pain, no gain!
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of GVWs and Greenstreaks Neil :D The Large Tort story looks like running - what's the likelihood of them turning up at the same location for the second brood - do they disperse when they emerge?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil, are there any plans afoot to survey key areas for evidence of breeding amongst these Large Tortoiseshells?

Surely, once such evidence has emerged, then we can all start to form the conclusion that this magnificent beast is once again a UK resident (albeit tenuously)?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel. Large Tortoiseshell is only single-brooded and emerges from the chrysalis in late June and through July; most adults will have hibernated by mid August, reappearing in late March and April. If they have bred successfully then there must be a reasonable chance of someone spotting them here in the summer, as their behaviour is likely to be very different at this time of year. They'll be intent on building up reserves ahead of winter, so should spend much time nectaring. There's plenty of Bramble along the base of the river bluff, which will be well worth searching.

Hi David. I'll be giving it a go, but I suspect that locating any larval webs amongst the huge quantity of inaccessible Wych Elm on site will prove challenging. If Dukes finish early this year there should be a quiet week when I can spend a day or two looking.

BWs, Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

It would seem that you have some tough decisions ahead if the LT emerges at the same time as His Majesty!.
Seriously, we have always been told that the Large Tortoiseshell is extinct in the UK, but the odd one or two
are found in most years, suggesting that like His Majesty, they are elusive and unlikely to be found unless sought out.
The loss of our Elms will not have helped their survival.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:
Hi David. I'll be giving it a go, but I suspect that locating any larval webs amongst the huge quantity of inaccessible Wych Elm on site will prove challenging. If Dukes finish early this year there should be a quiet week when I can spend a day or two looking.
I sincerely hope you get this quiet week, Neil. I'm sure if anyone can find these larval webs then it is you. If we get continued warm weather then Dukes may well finish earlier than normal, giving you that very window.

Please keep us updated on events. This development is highly notable and one that I hope will be sustained.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Mill Hill, Shoreham

Having spent much of the day (18 April) at our Park Corner Heath reserve (it's looking absolutely stunning), I stopped off at Mill Hill on the way home. Here, I enjoyed the spectacle of Grizzled Skippers going to roost. This species is clearly enjoying a good start to its season, with about a dozen individuals seen, including the first females. Other species included Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Holly Blue, Wall (female), Small Heath, Speckled Wood, Green-veined White, Large White, Brimstone, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. Not bad for mid April!
BC Grizzled Skipper (1) Mill Hill 18.4.17.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper (3) Mill Hill 18.4.17.jpg
BC Grizzled Skipper (2) Mill Hill 18.4.17.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots there Neil especially the Batman pose :D Good to see Grizzlies are doing well somewhere as here they've barely begun - there's been only a single one reported so far in Wiltshire :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel. Your time will come! A string of cold nights has put the brakes on for early spring species, which isn't such a bad thing. We need a bit of rain soon though, as some larval foodplants will start raising objections before too long.
BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Neil, the Grizzled Skip is on my list for this year. Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Neil Hulme wrote:Thanks, Wurzel. Your time will come! A string of cold nights has put the brakes on for early spring species, which isn't such a bad thing. We need a bit of rain soon though, as some larval foodplants will start raising objections before too long.
BWs, Neil
I've commented on the lack of recent rain in my PD a few times recently. Some of my regular sites look parched as if it were high summer and on both trips to Denbies Hillside this year I've seen half grown Burnet Moth larvae wandering around on paths. If it carries on like this I can see species like Chalkhills having a tough season!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I too have noticed things drying up even in south Wales. Let’s hope a happy balance can be re-established. A couple of days rain would work wonders, so long as it was followed by mild, sunny conditions, although by all accounts we're about to step into a very cold period.

By the way, Neil, any news on the book? Surely publication is almost imminent?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David,
I'm guessing that the book should be ready very soon now (perhaps 7 - 10 days?). To be honest, I haven't pursued any news of progress, as I've done my best to forget - I'm still suffering from the insomnia it caused! At least I've shed the two stone I put on while writing my part. I'll post any news as soon as I hear.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sussex Dukes

An afternoon visit (23 April) to Murray Downland Trust's fabulous Heyshott Escarpment reserve was conducted under almost complete cloud cover, with only a couple of five minute bursts of sunshine being just sufficient to encourage a couple of Duke of Burgundy to open their wings. No other species of butterfly were seen, but I still managed to locate 18 Dukes at rest on low scrub, including two mating pairs. I suspect that they've been out for a while here, as St Mark's Fly was everywhere, and the emergence of this species is closely coordinated with the appearance of the first Dukes.
BC Duke of Burgundy male (2), Heyshott Escarpment 23.4.17.jpg
BC Duke of Burgundy pair, Heyshott Escarpment 23.4.17.jpg
BC Duke of Burgundy female, Heyshott Escarpment 23.4.17.jpg
BC Duke of Burgundy male (1), Heyshott Escarpment 23.4.17.jpg
BC St Mark's Fly, Heyshott Escarpment, 23.4.17.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pearl-bordered Fritillary is now flying at Rewell Wood, so the Fritillaries for the Future walks on 6 and 7 May http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/events/ should catch them at peak. Six males were seen over three areas, including along the public right of way running W-E in the south of the wood, where volunteers have cut scallops into the Sweet Chestnut coppice. Please do not drive through the gate (from the A27) unless you are attending the organised events, as there is a very high risk of being locked in for the night.
BC PBF Rewell Wood 24.4.17.jpg
BC PBF Rewell Wood 24.4.17 (3).jpg
BC PBF Rewell Wood 24.4.17 (2).jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Stunning Springhead

I only had time for a short visit to Springhead (a.k.a. Kithurst) Hill this morning, and wasn't optimistic given the very low temperature, but this flagship site (managed by SDNPA, WSCC and BC Sussex) seldom fails to delight. It's looking in great condition but, as always, it's preferable to keep to the well-worn paths. With only 9°C showing on the car thermometer, I was surprised that two Duke of Burgundy, two Dingy Skipper and an Orange-tip were doing their best to get on with life. I found one Duke snoozing on a Cowslip, and a little sunshine was sufficient to make him open his wings. The efforts of our conservation partners here are much appreciated.
BC DoB male (2) Springhead Hill 25.4.17.jpg
BC DoB male (1) Springhead Hill 25.4.17.jpg
BC Dingy Skipper, Springhead Hill 25.4.17.jpg
BC Springhead Hill 25.4.17.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the update regarding the book launch, Neil. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

Your Dukes & Pearls are, as ever, to die for!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks David. I've been told that the book is currently being bound and will be delivered to the publisher during the first week of May. It will then depend on how fast the elves can get them in the post.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pearls, Orchids And Sleeping Butterflies

Recent visits to Rewell Wood (28 and 29 April) suggest that the Pearl-bordered Fritillary is having a better season here than it has for a few years, with about ten males already patrolling over the volunteer-cut scallops along the W-E ride north of the sawmill. We will be visiting other (private) areas of the wood during my Fritillaries for the Future guided walks next Saturday and Sunday (6 and 7 May). The first females are now out and I watched the first pairing I've seen this year.

I then headed to Beeding to photograph some Green-winged Orchids, before meeting Dan Danahar at Mill Hill, to help find some roosting Grizzled Skippers for one of his video epics. By now everything was asleep, but a careful search of the scrub revealed five snoozing Grizzles, two dozing Dingys, three sleepy Small Heaths and a comatose Brown Argus (which may be a national first for the year).
BC PBF2 Rewell Wood 28.4.17.jpg
BC PBF1 Rewell Wood 28.4.17.jpg
BC PBF female, Rewell Wood 29.4.17.jpg
BC PBF3 Rewell Wood 28.4.17.jpg
BC Green-winged Orchid, Beeding 29.4.17.jpg
BC Green-winged Orchid (3), Beeding 29.4.17.jpg
BC Green-winged Orchid (2), Beeding 29.4.17.jpg
BC Small Heath, Mill Hill 29.4.17.jpg
BC Brown Argus, Mill Hill 29.4.17.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Good to hear the promising news on the PBF front, Neil.

If the weather forecast is right, they could be in for a largely dry and mild flight season, which would go some way to boosting all the efforts you and others have made over the past few months.

Return to “Personal Diaries”