Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Dave, Bugboy, Wurzel and David :D

Friday 7th April

A chilly week with a cold wind and temperatures struggling to rise above the low teens on most days has meant that things have been very quiet and despite the longer hours of daylight I have not seen a single butterfly since last Sunday.

My usual visit to my moms this afternoon and after a cool and cloudy morning, the clouds thinned for the sun to shine through enough to tempt me to do a quick circuit around her local park. A couple of spells of nice warm sunshine produced my first Speckled Woods of the year, two males squabbling over a sheltered corner. I just managed to get a couple of shots of one before they were off again and disappeared over some shrubs and despite hanging around to see if they would return that was the last I saw of them.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 07.04.2017
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 07.04.2017
On my way back to my moms house I also saw my first Holly Blue patrolling along a hedge.

Back home later, it had turned into a beautiful afternoon so I spent some time in the garden. I was pleased to see my first garden Specklie of the year, sure enough, in the same corner they appear in every year :D
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 07.04.2017
In fact during the time I spent in the garden three different males showed up, one of which already had what looked like a bird strike to its hind wing proving the value of those eye-spots.
I also saw at least one each, maybe more as I am never sure if I am seeing the same individuals doing a circuit, of Orange-tip and Holly Blue. By now there wasn't a cloud in sight and these were almost constantly on the move with the Orange-tip pausing briefly just once and just long enough for me to get a record shot.
Orange-tip - Coverdale 07.04.2017
Orange-tip - Coverdale 07.04.2017
The Holly Blue settled a few times and always high up but on one occasion I managed to get a shot against the blue sky by stretching up holding my Lumix at arms length and using the vari-angle screen.
Holly Blue - Coverdale 07.04.2017
Holly Blue - Coverdale 07.04.2017
It looks like most of the country is in for some good weather this weekend so lets hope there are some good butterflies around :D

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Spring has sprung and the season has now officially started; Hoggers has seen Small Coppers :D , I'm already behind on my PD :roll: and you've seen seen your first Specklies of the year :D Greta shots especially the underwing :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see your "pet" Specklies are emerging, Neil. All is right with the world! Nice Holly Blue, too. They do strike some great poses. :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

That's more like it, Neil!

You are to Specklies what Hoggers is to Small Coppers.

I feel you have several weeks to make hay!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel, Dave and David, yep the Specklies are out in my garden and all is well :D

Just out of interest the dates below are the earliest I have seen Speckled Wood in my garden since 2011 which was when I first started keeping notes. This shows that this year is about average for this species here but seems early compared with last year, with 2013 and 2016 being late and 2012 being the earliest...and look how that year turned out.

Speckled Wood - 07.04.2017
Speckled Wood – 04.05.2016
Speckled Wood - 09.04.2015
Speckled Wood – 11.04.2014
Speckled Wood – 07.05.2013
Speckled Wood – 25.03.2012
Speckled Wood – 06.04.2011

Saturday 8th April

The morning was spent doing the usual early Saturday stuff - a bit of shopping, then some household chores which included some pottering about in the garden. Right from the first thing, there was not a cloud in the sky and by the time I got into the garden around middle morning it had warmed up nicely.
The first butterfly that I saw was a feebly fluttering white that looked like it might be my first Green-veined White of the season but on approaching closer turned out to be a Small White, its fluttery flight explained by the fact it looked like its Left hand hind wing was missing.
Small White - Coverdale 08.04.2017
Small White - Coverdale 08.04.2017
Orange-tip, Holly Blue and Speckled Wood all soon put in an appearance but all were highly active in the warm sun with only the Holly Blue and speckled Wood settling, and then with wings firmly closed.
Holly Blue - Coverdale 08.04.2017
Holly Blue - Coverdale 08.04.2017
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 08.04.2017
Saturday afternoon was spent at the Warwickshire BC Spring Meeting where it was good to catch up on recent goings on in the county and listen to some interesting presentations...and enjoy some excellent cakes :D.
Orange-tips and Brimstones were seen by most people flying around outside the venue.

Looks like today is set to be similar if not warmer, before cooler conditions return for next week. I am keeping my finger crossed for Easter week when I have a week booked off work.

Bye for now,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

No sign of the Holly Blue here yet Neil and I think so far there's only been two sitings of the OT, things are very slow getting going here.
Your shots of the Speckie are great. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie, I'm sure you will soon be seeing your Holly Blues and Orange-tips. Don't forget that not everyone's season starts as early as it does in the south-east...things have only really got going around here this weekend.

Sunday 9th April - Morning

Another beautiful sunny morning and with the rapidly rising temperature the same species were soon seen in the garden, namely Orange-tip, Holly Blue and Speckled Wood, although like yesterday they were very active and not settling.

I have a large berberis darwinii shrub in the garden which is usually covered with small orange flowers at this time of year and I have noticed before that Speckled Wood are one of the few species of butterfly that will nectar from it, although it is a favourite with bees.
This morning I spotted a Speckled Wood doing exactly that and closer inspection showed it to be the first female in the garden, hopefully fueling up to lay plenty of eggs.
View down the garden showing the berberis darwinii
View down the garden showing the berberis darwinii
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 09.04.2017
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 09.04.2017
Anyway, with such a cracking day and a couple of hours free in the afternoon I was keen pay a first visit this year to my other local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull...

Bye for now,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely contrast in colours between the Specklie and the flowers, Neil. I rarely see this species feeding in spring although a few were imbibing from blackthorn blossom yesterday.

I'll look forward to reading about the rest of your day.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David, it is mostly the females that I see feeding from flowers in the spring although I have also occasionally seen males on this shrub as well. Forget-me-nots are another spring flower that I have seen both sexes take nectar from.

Sunday 9th April - Afternoon

With Sunday afternoon shaping up to be another glorious day and a couple of hours free, I was keen to visit one of my other local sites where a couple of public footpaths run across Castle Hills, just the other side of Solihull.
On arrival I soon spotted a couple of male Orange-tips patrolling the hedgerows and over the next couple of hours spent here these were easily the most numerous species seen. There was not a cloud to be seen in the clear blue skies and with the temperature on my car display showing 22 degrees on arrival the Orange-tips were constantly on the move. With no clouds around to enable the usual tactic of watching where they settled and waiting for the cloud to pass and getting a photo as they open their wings, I realised that it would be an afternoon of mostly watching and trying for some half decent record shots if an opportunity presented itself. At one spot I found what looks like a species of flowering cherry at the side of the path and I noticed one male Orange-tip pause briefly for a quick refuel, closely followed by a second one. I staked this spot out for a while and eventually managed to get a couple of shots that I was reasonably happy with.
Orange-tip - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
I also spotted a couple of individuals settle down in the vegetation where they promptly clamped their wings shut. I waited to see if they would open their wings but the instant they did so they were off again without that brief pause that usually presents the opportunity for capturing the open wings.
The only Orange-tip that I did see with open wings was when I was heading back towards the car and spotted one land on at the side of the path in front of me, and on creeping up noticed it was settled on a bit of discarded rubbish, the colour of which had possibly made him think it was a female. His wings were half open so I tried cautiously positioning myself so that my shadow covered him whereupon he opened his wings further enabling me to get a couple of shots before he decided to take off again. I could have wished for a better background but he was the only one I saw with open wings all afternoon.
I did see a couple of females but as with the males these were highly mobile and I didn't see either of them settle.

I also saw a few Green-veined Whites, my first this year but as with the Orange-tips they were highly mobile and only presented a couple of fleeting opportunities for record shots.
Green-veined White - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
Green-veined White - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
The three common hibernating vanessids were also still in evidence with at least half a dozen each of Peacock, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell seen.
Peacock - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
Peacock - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
Comma - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
One particular wet patch of track around a large puddle had a Comma and a Small Tortoiseshell taking up minerals from the muddy ground,
Speckled Woods seem to be having a good start to the season and they were present here in good numbers along the shadier parts of the footpaths. These were mostly staking out territories to which they would quickly return if disturbed and which could easily be tempted to open their wings by carefully casting my shadow over them.
Speckled Wood - Castle Hills 09.04.2017
So then, a cracking couple of hours with plenty of butterflies seen but with limited photo opportunities due to the warm sunny conditions. Dare I say a bit of cloud would have been welcome (perhaps not given how cloudy last year was) and in fact some this wispy high level stuff did start coming over later in the afternoon, but by that time I had hung on as long as I could and had to return home.
As it was getting quieter and the butterflies were disappearing, just before I left I managed to find a final Orange-tip settled down to roost.
Bye for now,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Spring really is advancing Northwards. Lovely selection and images. :D

All the best,
Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

You're catching up fast, Neil! :) I do like the Tortoiseshell puddling - not a common sight and one brought on by the very dry spring, perhaps.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You had to go and ask for more cloud didn't you Neil :roll: :lol:
Mind you I know exactly what you mean - we can't win with butterflies - either it's cloudy and they don't come out or it's brilliantly sunny and they zoom around everywhere!
A great set of shots by the way and I agree with David - beautiful contrast between the flowers and the Specklie in your previous post :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Although you’ve lagged behind lately, Neil, I now find myself a little envious of you as my patch is virtually bereft of vanessids whereas yours are seemingly still going strong!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great stuff as ever Neil! Orange Tips are so fabulous they can easily make me late home for dinner. Speckled Woods are doing rather well down this way too. They are so smart when they are fresh.

ATB

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor, Spring is well and truly here now :D
Cheers Dave, I have seen both Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks puddling in the spring but as you say usually in the drier years.
Sorry Wurzel, in my defence I did say "perhaps not" :wink:
Hi David, I have noticed before in your previous posts that the spring vanessids seem to appear and also disappear before they do around here. In fact your season seems to run earlier than mine in general.
Hi James, it is indeed hard to beat the chocolate and cream look of a fresh spring Speckled Wood...almost as if they have evolved especially for Easter :D

Saturday 15th April

The glorious warm sunshine of the previous weekend was not to last and we soon returned to more normal spring weather around here with lots of cloud and a cool breeze and some sunny spells. The only butterflies that I have seen during the week were a couple of my ever reliable Speckled Woods to greet me in the garden when I got back in from work later in the afternoon.
Speckled Wood male from earlier in the week
Speckled Wood male from earlier in the week
On the other hand, the clouds have usually melted away at night leaving clear skies which have led to some cold breezy nights and a light frost on some mornings. This has meant that I have had low numbers of moths coming to the trap with just a few Hebrew Characters and Common Quakers on the couple of nights I ran the trap recently.

Saturday arrived and being Easter weekend we had some family stuff going on, between which I spent some time in the garden generally pottering about with my camera close to hand as usual.
It was quite cool at first but by mid-morning the occasional sunny spell had a bit of warmth to it and the first Speckled Woods were up and about, two males holding their corners.
Speckled Wood male #1
Speckled Wood male #1
Speckled Wood male #2
Speckled Wood male #2
These were soon followed by Holly Blues and Oranges-tip doing their rounds, probably the same few individuals doing circuits which always makes it seem like there were more of them. The Holly Blues settled a few times but always out of reach. One of the Orange-tips however was tempted to stop for a brief top-up at one of my 'bowles mauve' plants which gave me a chance for a quick photo.
Orange-tip - Coverdale 15.04.2017
Orange-tip - Coverdale 15.04.2017
Later in the afternoon I managed to catch the shot below, of which a close examination proves that it was the same individual which I had seen earlier, although on one occasion I saw 2 in the air together so there was at least 2 of them going around.
The same individual seen earlier in the day
The same individual seen earlier in the day
During one of the cloudier periods in the afternoon, I watched a Green-veined White slowly fluttering about the garden and settle frequently, including on one of the cow-slips growing in the lawn, which gave me some good photo opportunities before the sun came back out and he warmed up enough to be on his way.
Green-veined White - Coverdale 15.04.2017
Also seen during the afternoon were at least one Small White and a fresh looking male Large White, my first of the latter species this year. This meant that this was the first time this year I had seen all three common whites on the same day.
Small White - Coverdale 15.04.2017
Small White - Coverdale 15.04.2017
Large White - Coverdale 15.04.2017
Large White - Coverdale 15.04.2017
I am off work next week and even though the weather does not look very promising around here, I am hoping to get out a couple of times...fingers crossed.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Neil, we're well behind up here, still, early days yet.That's a great shot of a Large White.
Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely crisp Green-veined Whites Neil but I'm still awaiting my first Large White!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie, I am sure your time will come. I remember last year when I was in Arnside/Silverdale in early June that the weather up there had been better than that which we had been having here.

Thanks Bugboy, I was lucky with that GVW in that he appeared just as the sun went in and the cool breeze slowed him down somewhat.

Cheers,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of shots Neil :D :mrgreen: Such lush whites and OTs :D :mrgreen: Hope you have a productive week off! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Brilliant set of images Neil. I saw the Countryfile weather forecast for next week this evening,
they reckon -6c on Weds. morning in the Midlands. Hope not!, that could do some damage.
Perhaps you need to come to the South for your week off.

Hope they got it wrong !,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”