Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

A stunning set of shots Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - I've been away for a bit dealing with car probs and I'm still in shock after Legoland else I'd have a commented before...that OT looks like an aberrant to me as the black spot is very large and there is the dark marking along the fore wing margin? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:Now for a real mystery.
I noticed this female Holly Blue land on a Celandine flower,
she then seemed to go through the motions of depositing an egg,
This happens quite a lot, Trevor.

I took multiple images of male Holly Blues nectaring on blackthorn blossom last weekend and in some of them, the abdomen was 'bent' as if the insect was ovipositing. I presume they sometimes do this merely for reasons of balance.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a good explanation, David, something I shall look out for.
As you said the other day, Holly Blues are having a bumper Spring.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

David M wrote:
trevor wrote:Now for a real mystery.
I noticed this female Holly Blue land on a Celandine flower,
she then seemed to go through the motions of depositing an egg,
This happens quite a lot, Trevor.

I took multiple images of male Holly Blues nectaring on blackthorn blossom last weekend and in some of them, the abdomen was 'bent' as if the insect was ovipositing. I presume they sometimes do this merely for reasons of balance.
I've seen this happen quite a few times, usually on Ivy. I always thought the female was testing for suitable sites. I've also noticed Small Tortoiseshell's doing this, I watch the female curl her abdomen under the nettle as if she's laying eggs and when I check under the leaf nothing.

James

trevor

Post by trevor »

I only had a short time out today, I was quite pleased to find an Orange Tip on ( Spanish ) Bluebells
which made for a colourful combination. Unfortunately the camera focussed on the background rather than the subject.
I was quite amazed when two sparring Holly Blues suddenly landed on the same leaf.
Attachments
P1310499.JPG
P1310498.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Now you've got Holly Blues falling at your feet :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

p.s. first Grizzlies seen at Cotley a few days back...but it's been a fair bit cooler since

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:I was quite amazed when two sparring Holly Blues suddenly landed on the same leaf.
Me too! These butterflies are usually only seen in pairs when courting.

trevor

Post by trevor »

The weather here today was much better than forecast, in the morning we had a mixture sun and cloud,
just the right conditions for resting Holly Blues to open up. I located two males, then the waiting game.
Right on cue both opened their wings as the sun appeared.
Then a new species for the season, my first Green veined White of the year. Better late than never.
Also seen at the old railway, many Speckled Woods, two male Orange Tips and a fresh looking Red Admiral.

After lunch I went over to Abbots Wood in the vein hope of an early Pearl, whilst searching and scanning
the surroundings I noticed a small rapidly flying Butterfly in the distance. When it went down I walked over
to it's approximate position, and utopia!, a fresh Green Hairstreak perched on a Bluebell, an ideal colour combination.
Some minutes later another GH landed on a Birch leaf, upon looking at the images it would seem that the same
Hairstreak was seen twice.
Another feature of Abbots today was the large number of Peacocks basking on bare earth. Also a female Orange Tip
was found hanging from a Bluebell.

In all a superb day,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1310602.JPG
P1310606.JPG
P1310601.JPG
P1310600.JPG
P1310604.JPG
P1310558.JPG
P1310556.JPG
P1310559.JPG
P1310557.JPG
P1310555.JPG
P1310560.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great colour combination indeed Trevor :D :mrgreen: When I get a mo I'm going to investigate the Greenstreak aberrants as you have a nice'two spotter' there :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Trevor, especially the Green Hair Streaks, hope it's an ab :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great reports recently Trevor with some cracking photos, I am particularly liking your Green Hairstreak on Bluebell shots and those open wing Holly Blues :D

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel, Goldie and Neil.

That was a magic moment finding a Green Hairstreak perching on a Bluebell,
one of those occasions where everything was right.

Today however was in stark contrast to Friday, with only one male Orange Tip putting in an appearance.
I was watching the OT patrolling, until the Sun went in, it then immediately landed on a Cow Parsley flower head,
which seems to be a favourite perch for OTs awaiting the return of the Sun.
Attachments
P1310616.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I reckon it's because it closely matches the cryptic patterning on their under wings - I always scan across Cow Parsley hopefully :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Trevor. You can't beat a Green Hairstreak on a bluebell.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I agree David. I had to search the area where I saw the GH. roughly go down.
And it was certainly a ' yippee ' moment when I found it on the Bluebell.

trevor

Post by trevor »

TWO PEARLS AND A CUCKOO.

Today I had a day out with Dave Cook ( thanks for driving Dave ) , Considering the very chilly breeze
we could not have had a better day. First on the scene was a male Holly Blue which landed close by
and promptly opened up fully. Next a patrolling male Orange Tip was seen to briefly pause on Herb Robert,
then carried on patrolling. Rather than chase it we waited by the flowering Herb Robert for it's return.
Sure enough when it came back it stopped on said plant for a couple of shots.
Next as the sun went in a Small White landed in an ideal spot for a couple of shots.

But the best was yet to come as two Pearl Bordered Fritillaries came into view. The cool conditions
ensured that they weren't too lively, and better still we were able to photograph them to the
backdrop of a distant Cuckoo.

One of the more satisfying days,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1310688.JPG
P1310681.JPG
P1310687.JPG
P1310686.JPG
P1310685.JPG
P1310683.JPG
P1310684.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Trevor you had a lovely day today with the selection of sightings and more so last week with the green hairstreak, glad to see all of the trips out and what is flying in your part of the world. Unfortunately not as good up here but I'm sure weather will improve. best wishes peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely Pearls Trevor :D and you are doing really well with open wing Holly Blues too :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree with Neil. That's a really nice shot of the Holly Blue Trevor :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice Holly Blues, and some Pearls as well now - lovely shots, Trevor.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”