May Butterflies

Discussion forum for sightings.
Neil Hulme

Re: May Butterflies

Post by Neil Hulme »

On Saturday I made an over-ambitious attempt to photograph both Marsh and Glanville Fritillary. Having acheived the first part of the task I headed to Hurst Castle Spit, but made the schoolboy error of forgetting it was a Bank Holiday weekend. After sitting in the inevitable traffic queue this side of Lyndhurst for half an hour, I finally threw the towel in. Probably my 'come uppance' for trying to pass off a premature trip to the IOW as a 'family day out', with the (now ex) girlfriend a few weeks back. Oops! :roll:
P1040276_edited-1.jpg
P1040276_edited-1.jpg (198.89 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
Neil
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Probably my 'come uppance' for trying to pass off a premature trip to the IOW as a 'family day out', with the (now ex) girlfriend a few weeks back. Oops! :roll:
P1040276_edited-1.jpg
Neil
There's probably a whole new thread that could run full of stories of how we've tricked our loved ones into following us round the country chasing butterflies! Though mine have never ended quite so disastrously as this!

Chris
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

"Darling - how would you fancy a long weekend in the Lake district in early July?"
Cheers

Roger
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Chris and Rogerdodge,
I think Pete should start a new online dating service for people looking for butterfly-tolerant partners. My relationship history bears a remarkable resemblance to the phenological table of the Duke and 'early' fritillaries! By the time White-letter Hairstreak emerge, I'm probably back to near 'normal' - well nearly! :lol:
Neil
Martin

Post by Martin »

Chris wrote:There's probably a whole new thread that could run full of stories of how we've tricked our loved ones into following us round the country chasing butterflies!
No way! It's a case of "Debbie, I'm off out butterflying...see you later" :D And it's where I would be right now but for this awful weather :evil:

Martin.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I've been telling my significant other that a break in Scotland would do us good. He's been a bit overworked, and few days total R&R at the begining of June in the wilds of Allt Mhuic at Loch Arkaig (20 miles north of Fort William) would make me very happy. ( shhh, Chequered Skipper!!!) :lol:

Denise
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I have to be honest here.
I have never had to trick Rose into a butterfly expedition.
She is a lover of the countryside in general, and it is fortunate that butterflies tend to inhabit nice places.
Over the years she has proved invaluable in finding butterflies for me as she has far superior eyesight.
She has shielded flowers from the wind and gardened unwanted grass stems on countless occasions.
I very clearly remember the day I realised that she was "getting it".
We were exploring a limestone crag somewhere in Cumbria when she shouted out "Roger there's a blue over here!" I ran over to find a Northern Brown Argus - as we all know a blue with no blue at all!
She has ony two species to see to complete her British list - Swallowtail and Purple Emperor.
Sometimes she will walk with me, sometimes she will sit and read a book, but always we have a great time looking for tics afterwards :wink:
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Denise
Following your posts I reckon you are on target for the British list in one season?
I did it myself a few years back.
Great fun.
Any help you need, don't hesitate to ask.
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

Cheers Roger,

I have list of possible ticks to complete each month and so far I'm not doing too badly. Eccles tells me that we don't have to see every species in one year, and my answer was... We don't???
I'm trying hard to build my list to a decent level, so at least when you guys chat about species unseen by me (there's no substitute for experience) I can have a reasonable understanding, and it doesn't all go over my head.
In the near future I need Small Blue, Wood White, Adonis, SPBF ( think that one won't be too hard) and PBF, (more difficult as there are none around here)
Scotland is definitely on the cards at the moment. I'm off to north Suffolk 13th June for a long weekend so I hope to add Swallowtail to he list.
I don't want to just tick them, but spend time watching and learning as much as I can.
I really appreciate all the help and encouragement that I have received here, and the lifts from Eccles as I don't drive and do a lot of my roaming by public transport.
I'm off to Lords Wood (Pensford) in July on the bus for White Admiral and SWF if I haven't seen them by then.
I've sussed out some local Hairstreak places, but am a bit stuck on Black Hairstreak.

I have met so many really nice, helpful and friendly people when out in the field, and at the UKB workshop. It just adds to the magic of the whole experience, especially when you find a new tick, but I enjoy all the butterflies and am learning all the time.

Cheers
Denise
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Roger,
Sounds like you're a lucky man! I do have fond memories of a girlfriend who was so enthusiastic to join in with my hobbies (and me hers), that she willingly stripped off and swam into the middle of a lake to 'unweed' a 25 lbs carp! In 'return' I attended a lot of her pony club events, and like all things 'outdoors', I got quite interested in the end! Now back to butterflies. Following Denise's comments, any UK Butterflies people would always be welcome to contact me if you're ever in Sussex and want help in seeing some of our goodies. I lead a number of BC outings each year and got off to a good start at Heyshott Down a couple of weeks back. 41! turned up to see Dukes, Greenstreaks, Grizzleds and Dingies. Doing White-letter Hairs (Littlehampton, 22/6), Purple Emperors, White Admirals, S-w Frits and Purple Hairs (Southwater, 6/7), Wall (Steyning, 27/7) and Silver-spotted Skippers plus plenty more (Storrington, 16/8) - all details on http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk . Always happy to meet up on an ad hoc basis too. Now where's that sunshine gone?
Neil
markatbath

Post by markatbath »

Hi Denise
I would suggest a trip to clanger/picket wood for white admiral and silver washed.I have some excellent days there in the last few years.Perhaps we could arrange a trip there later in the year?
regards
mark
FlyByWire

Post by FlyByWire »

On 23rd May at Park Corner Heath, East Sussex the Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries were on the wing along with plenty of Speckled Yellow moths and a single Small Heath. Was fairly cloudy so not much else. Cloudy and mild meant the SBPF's were quite docile and easy to photograph. Also got very close to a surprisingly docile female Broad Bodied Chaser dragonfly.

I was planning a romp to Seven Barrows for Marsh Fritillary but the weather had closed in so I gave up and went home.

Pics posted to http://piccies.flybywire.org.uk/Butterf ... index.html

-Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

markatbath wrote:Hi Denise
I would suggest a trip to clanger/picket wood for white admiral and silver washed.I have some excellent days there in the last few years.Perhaps we could arrange a trip there later in the year?
regards
mark
I would like that very much. Thanks Mark.

Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

Clanger Wood is a glorious place to visit. I picked up a shot of SWF Valesina last year, although I had no luck with WA. Maybe a threesome?
eccles

Post by eccles »

Incidently, despite the cool overcast conditions today, there were still a few butterflies at Hazelbury today. Marsh fritillaries were pretty sluggish with only one or two actually bothering to fly. Dingy skippers were surprisingly alert. Not active but they were off like a rocket if disturbed.
Here's a couple of the day's efforts, a female MF underside and a female DS upperside. Pete, if you wish these for the ident pages please feel free to use them as I notice you're missing these two.
2008_05_27_dingy_skipper_f.jpg
2008_05_27_dingy_skipper_f.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
2008_05_27_marsh_frit.jpg
2008_05_27_marsh_frit.jpg (96.62 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

eccles wrote:Pete, if you wish these for the ident pages please feel free to use them as I notice you're missing these two.
Thanks Mike!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Denise wrote:I've been telling my significant other that a break in Scotland would do us good. He's been a bit overworked, and few days total R&R at the begining of June in the wilds of Allt Mhuic at Loch Arkaig (20 miles north of Fort William) would make me very happy. ( shhh, Chequered Skipper!!!) :lol:

Denise
I can recommend Allt Mhuic. Lovelly scenery. I have been the last 3 years (from Kent). Whilst I only saw Chequered Skipper on one occasion, (too late on the other two), I have always connected with Azure Hawker. I suggest you convince the other half that he needs a holiday badly.

dave
Denise

Post by Denise »

Cheers Dave :D I'm glad my research paid off.

Welcome to the site. Nice to have you on board.

Denise
Denise

Post by Denise »

eccles wrote:Clanger Wood is a glorious place to visit. I picked up a shot of SWF Valesina last year, although I had no luck with WA. Maybe a threesome?
That almost sounds rude eccles :oops:
But I'm sure that three pairs of eyes would be better than two!

Denise
markatbath

Post by markatbath »

hi
the more the merrier ! heres to the glorious summer forcast !!
regards
mark

Return to “Sightings”