Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for that Allan. Haven't had a chance to look yet but I definitely will.

My Purple Hairstreak eggs have now hatched. It is very frustrating trying to get shots of them as they do so, as most often it happens over night. I assume this is a survival mechanism to avoid unwanted attention by a hungry Blue Tit. Even when it is apparent that they are about to emerge during the morning, they hang on in there until darkness descends, the whole process taking hours and hours, unlike any of the other Hairstreaks I have reared. I have attained some shots of the larva emerging from the egg in the past so I was not too concerned. The following shots show the process at various stages and a few of the larva at just a couple of hours old.
P1980074ad.jpg
P1970959ad.jpg
P1970864ad.jpg
P1970715ad.jpg
P1970736ad.jpg
P1970778ad.jpg
P1980006ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

H Pauline,

Love the PBF Cats and will hopefully get out today/weekend to try and find some myself before its to late, which it may be already, I also like the sequence of the Purple Hairstreaks and next year when I'm retired I may try to do some rearing myself anyway will let you know how I get on for the PBF's.

Cheers

Andy

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Andy

Perhaps you'll be lucky enough to find a PBF pupa! :o :lol: 'Fraid I didn't have much luck at North Stoke :(

I visited North Stoke for the first time yesterday, tempted by reports of Large Tortoiseshell. A fair few folk had similar ideas and it was nice to see some familiar faces (we'll have to stop meeting like this Vince :wink: :lol: ). It is a pity that the LT chose to remain hidden as a couple of gents had come all the way from Nottingham on the off chance they might see one! :shock: However, it is an attractive site and with 9 other species of butterflies active there was plenty to maintain interest including these:
P1980228ad.jpg
P1980247ad.jpg
P1980262ad.jpg
P1980264ad.jpg
P1980237ad.jpg

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Some really nice pictures Pauline despite not seeing "The Big One" . I am hoping to see an Orange Tip in Lincolnshire this weekend as there are several around now.

Kind Regards,
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Pauline, you could be right about my Purple Hairstreak egg, I didn't spend too much time looking at it, just quickly taking a picture to see if it had hatched or not (I couldn't tell by naked eye :oops: ). Looking at yours its possible it was still chewing its way out as I took the picture. Some nice pictures from North stoke as well, you may not have seen any LT but you certainly did better with other species than me!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Pauline, especially that lovely marked Holly Blue, it seems to have a slightly unusual arrangement of spots :D Sorry you didn't get the LT but then you have to leave something for tomorrow :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Pauline, especially your first one of the Green Veined White.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your comment Phil. Given the lovely weather I feel sure you will get lucky :)

Hi Buggy - thank you for your kind words. Tell you what tho', if you're ever near that PH egg again it would be good to take another shot so we could compare with your original shot.

Thank you too David. GVW are so common they are often overlooked but I think they are very photogenic.

Cheers Wurzel - you really are so observant, a skill I need to hone. My sighting this morning made up for lack of LT (well, took the edge off the pain :lol: :lol: )

At about 10.00am this morning I saw what may have been the first Duke this season at Noar Hill. Just a quick record shot at a distance before he disappeared but by the time I left about 10.45am several others were looking. Hopefully some better shots to follow when time allows:
P1980285ad.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great early Duke sighting. Personally I've never known March/ April to be as good as this year.
You've got off to a great start.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

That's a really early Duke sighting, Pauline :D brilliant.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's an excellent find Pauline - and very early :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I wondered how long it would be before Dukes emerged....now I know! :)

Let's hope that, unlike in 2012 when we had equally benign conditions in late March/early April, the weather doesn't deteriorate during the latter half of April.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all for your comments. Noar Hill tends to be an early site for Dukes but even so this was earlier than last year when I was taking shots of them on the 14th April. Only one shot to post today:
P1980323ad.jpg

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Stunning green hairstreak Pauline!!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Fishiee - cracking shot :D :mrgreen: Was that from Noar Hill as well?
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline, I'm just finding Speckies and your coming up with Duke's, :D that's a lovely Green Hair Streak shot :mrgreen: my green face will match it :lol: Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers John - good to hear from you. Hope you found your target at the weekend.

Thank you too Wurzel and M. Sandwiched between a doctor's appointment and another meeting I managed to squeeze in another trip to Noar Hill. Just because it is on my door step I should never take it for granted as it is a truly wonderful place that folk travel for miles to visit. I saw only a couple of Dukes today but many butterflies were active including a Holly Blue taking minerals and an egg-laying Comma and a couple of Green Hairstreaks.
P1980539ad.jpg
P1980541ad.jpg
P1980545ad.jpg
P1980547ad.jpg
P1980554ad.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

Beautiful Green Hairstreak and Duke images there :D

All the best,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

You're enjoying a precious little spell here, Pauline. Thanks for the images which remind us all just how early this spring season is in 2017!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil - I value your opinion.

For sure David - let's hope it long continues.

I was planning a very different post today but having seen Pete's news about Colin Baker - well, it has thrown me for six. Colin was always there, since I started getting interested in butterflies. He was a true gentleman with a massive amount of knowledge and because he was local we bumped into each other often. He had eagle eyes and was always ready to share his findings. He will be a great miss. So, just a couple of shots of a PH cat - the first I have seen of them since the eggs hatched:
P1980638ad.jpg
P1980652ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”