Marseilles South of France 2017

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Chris Jackson

Re: Marseilles South of France 2017

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Russ,
Regarding Provence Hairstreaks, I have since seen your postings on your thread. This really is a special species. In France unfortunately it is at risk due to collectors.

Hi David,
Although the Provence Hairstreak is more well known in the Var, there is a very small site in the east of the Bouches du Rhone. I'm very worried about its sustainability due to collectors and trampling of the host plant by animals.

Thanks Essex for the flower ID.
The Provence Hairstreak in the South of France runs from mid March to mid April. A very short and precise flight period. In Spain, the flight period may be quite a bit longer and the domain is certainly larger. Today I had my fill. Here below are my final photo shots before I move on to other species.
1st pair
ballus8 pair Col de xxx 26Mar17 (9a).JPG
2nd pair with wings barely dried
ballus6 pair  Col de xxx 26Mar17 (5a).JPG
3rd pair
ballus5 pair Col de xxx 26Mar17 (51a).JPG
possibly male
ballus4 Col de xxx 26Mar17 (8a).JPG
possible female
ballus2 Col de xxx 26Mar17 (12a).JPG
Context for Tomares ballus:
context Col de xxx.JPG
The early season species down here are dynamic and you have to be agile and move your attention to the following species before you are overtaken by events and uncertain weather.
Provence Orange Tip should be along soon.
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic work, Chris. This is a really interesting little butterfly and it's such a shame that there are still collectors out there trying to take them.

Your context shot looks 'spot on' for this species....much like the two sites where I've seen them.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

One of many continental species that vie for the top of my to see bucket list.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi David,
The first time I saw a Provence Hairstreak was with yourself and Roger G. in the Var in April a couple of years back. I now have a local site I can monitor. I'm a happy bunny.
On that same occasion, I saw my first Southern Festoon with you both, 1 and a half hours east of Marseilles in the Var. Well can you believe that today I found a Z. polyxena site just 12 minutes from work in Vitrolles ? :shock: :D . See below.

Hi Bugboy,
Glad you are enthusiastic about T. ballus, however they are a protected species in France and there is a lot of hush-hush surrounding them - understandably so. I am trying to accurately grasp their flight period here and to date I have it as between March 17 and April 18. I will continue monitoring it.
You may wish to look away now with my next subject. :)

Today, during my lunch break, I saw 20+ Southern Festoon. This is a very recent emergence, and the only other report I have from this site is from yesterday.
Southern Festoon:
This is 1 presentable photo out of 50-odd photos I took. All the others have a blade of grass in front of the butterfly - a tricky subject to photograph amongst the marsh grasses. Unfortunately my lunch break was drawing to an end and I had to rush back to work.
polyxena4_13  (16a).JPG
Here is it's very boggy context:
Context Z. polyxena (3).JPG
Welly boots are highly advisable:
Context Z. polyxena  (2).JPG
Context Z. polyxena  (1).JPG
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! How did that discovery come about, Chris? Were you tipped off or was it just a hunch?

Either way, it's great that you now have a local site for this beautiful insect, and it just demonstrates how much more there is to unmask in France than there is in the UK.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Those are fantastic pictures of the mating pairs of Provence Hairstreaks. They must be so difficult to spot when their wings are closed up like that. I think I have only previously seen pictures of them with the orange much more apparent.
The Festoons are always a joy to find, particularly in such numbers. I have always found them difficult to photograph, as they never seem to sit at the right angle, or without a blade of grass in front of them!!
NickC

Post by NickC »

What a lovely butterfly the southern festoon is. Great photo too.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

David,
To find the Z. polyxena site, I cross-referenced birder BF sightings with Google map locations. I find that birders are a thorough and accurate community. :D An example to be followed !!

Hi Nick M,
My Provence Hairstreak site is little more than the size of a tennis court, so if they are there, they can be found !! A tennis court is a worryingly small area for sustainability. :(

Thanks Nick C,
Z. polyxena love putting obstacles between themselves and the camera lens. They may do it on purpose for camouflage reasons. :?

Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Folks,
Down here, the end of March is proving to be an exciting time. April is just around the corner and butterfly species are emerging.
Here is a selection of what I am seeing at the moment:
This is the floor of the burnt-out scrub at my workplace showing remarkable recovery:
Vitrolles scrub 29Mar17.JPG
Here is an Early Spider Orchid - corrections welcome:
Ophrys atrata - Ophrys araignée Vitrolles friche 30Mar17.JPG
A Black-eyed Blue seen today, already looking a little worn around the edges:
Uppers:
melanops11 La Taurelle 31Mar17 (2).JPG
Unders:
melanops11 La Taurelle 31Mar17 (4).JPG
Any suggestions for this butterfly would be welcome - no undersides I'm afraid. Seen on 31st March at 400 m ASL South of France. It is slightly over-exposed. Green-underside Blue?:
inconnu La Taurelle 31Mar17 (1).JPG
My first Weaver's Fritillary of the year - an early season ?
dia8 La Taurelle 31Mar17 (1).JPG
Western Dappled White:
crameri23 Vitrolles scrub 29Mar17.JPG
crameri22 Vitrolles scrub 29Mar17.JPG
Baton Blue:
baton La Taurelle 31Mar17 (1).JPG
Marsh Fritillary caterpillar, seen around Cephalaria leucantha, although there were 3 individuals on this unknown plant:
aurinia - chenille La Coutronne 31Mar17 (4).JPG
aurinia - chenille La Coutronne 31Mar17 (2).JPG
Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Isn't nature wonderfully resilient, Chris?

That low growing carpet of green is a major shot in the arm following the destructive fires that swept this patch last summer.

Perhaps some good will come of it. It certainly looks as though there'll be no shortage of life less than a year after its original decimation.

Who knows, the new opportunities for plants to flourish may attract species that you haven't seen there before?
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I live in hope, David :D .

Hi Folks,
Some recent photos from the South of France:
Wild tulip (Tulipa sylvestris) in the scrub:
Tulipe sauvage - Tulipa sylvestris Vitrolles scrub 03Apr17.JPG
Southern Festoon eggs on Aristoloche:
polyxena - oeufs sur Aristoloche ronde - Rognac (4).JPG
Aristoloche rotunda:
polyxena - oeufs sur Aristoloche ronde - Rognac (3).JPG
an interesting plant:
polyxena - oeufs sur Aristoloche ronde - Rognac (2).JPG
more eggs:
polyxena - oeufs sur Aristoloche ronde - Rognac (1).JPG
A reminder of Z. polyxena:
polyxena4_13  (16a).JPG
Western Dappled White ovipositing:
crameri24 female Vitrolles scrub 03Apr17.JPG
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some fascinating shots there Chris, I love the low angle you've managed with that ovipositing Dappled White and those Festoons are simply magnificent looking insects :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Good observations, Chris, and thanks for posting the image of the wild tulip.

I've never seen that before.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Bugboy,
I have no particular photographic skills, all credit goes to Mister Panasonic FZ150 with his swivelling screen. It is quite versatile and you can whip off shots for ID purposes at all sorts of angles. With a fixed screen you would have to wait for alignment, but with the swivelling screen you can stay squatting in the same position and follow the butterfly as it moves around, one handed, remaining to one side, avoiding casting a shadow, but still seeing what you're aiming at on the screen. Amazing!!

David,
I was surprised when I saw the Wild Tulip, I hadn't seen one in previous years. I should open my eyes more often!!

Hi Folks,
Today I saw my first Common Blue of the year, nearly 3 weeks earlier than last year.
The most heart-lifting part is that I saw it in an area that is recovering from last year's fires.
It most probably blew in from elsewhere.
icarus45 male Vitroles olive grove 05Apr17 (3).JPG
icarus45 male Vitroles olive grove 05Apr17 (5).JPG
Here is the olive grove today:
context Vitroles olive grove 05Apr17 (3).JPG
context Vitroles olive grove 05Apr17 (2).JPG
context Vitroles olive grove 05Apr17 (1).JPG
Here is the olive grove in the aftermath of August's fires:
context fire Vitrolles Olive Grove 17Aug16 (7).JPG
context fire Vitrolles Olive Grove 17Aug16 (2).JPG
Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
William

Post by William »

Great stuff Chris - really enjoying your finds, particularly the eggs and larvae!

BWs,

William
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

William wrote:... really enjoying your finds, particularly the eggs and larvae ... William
Thanks William. I'll try and follow the progress of the Southern Festoon eggs for you during my lunchbreak, and Marsh Frits should be up and flying in a week or two.

Meanwhile today I managed a double whammy.
For those who don't know what the Zerynthia genus is in France, it includes 2 species:
- There is Z. polyxena that lives near water and has Aristoloche rotunda as host plant,
- Then there is Z. rumina that prefers drier scrub type environments with Aristoloche pistoloche as host plant.
Today I managed to see both species within an hour or so of each other.
This is the Southern Festoon which prefers damp environments:
polyxena10_83 08Apr17 (1).JPG
with its host plant A. rotunda:
aristoloche rotundifolia2 Caramy 06Apr16 (6).JPG
This is Spanish Festoon which prefers drier scrub type environments:
rumina10 Tour de  08Apr17 (5a).JPG
Context for the Spanish Festoon:
context rumina Tour de  08Apr17 (2).JPG
context rumina Tour de  08Apr17 (1).JPG
with its host plant A. pistoloche:
Aristoloche pistoloche Tour de 08Apr17 (3).JPG
It is starting to warm up now in the South of France ... things are moving too fast.
Cheers, Chris
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

That's an interesting observation regarding the two Festoons. Shows how both manage to live almost side by side. I saw the Spanish Festoons by the hundred in Gibraltar last week and, as you say, the habitat is dry and rocky on the rock! Southern Festoons are on my wish list, though.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

essexbuzzard wrote: ... I saw Spanish Festoons by the hundred in Gibraltar last week ...
Wow, Essex, ... in the Marseilles area I see reports only of 2,3 or 4 individuals seen together at the most. They are discrete around here which makes them sought after.

Today I saw my 1st Provence Orange Tip close to home, although there have been sporadic sightings in the Bouches du Rhone for 2 weeks now.
Last year my 1st sighting was the 05 April, this year the 09 April.
Both the Provence Orange Tip and the Western Dappled White use Buckler's Mustard as larval host plant.
Today I witnessed Provence Orange Tip males patrolling Buckler's Mustard pending the arrival of female P.O.T.s
and also Western Dappled Whites laying on the same Buckler's Mustard plants. A curious ballet of species each with their own time scale vying for their place on the same LHP:
First, here is my sighting of a male Provence Orange Tip. The 1st or 2nd week of April is normal:
euphenoides15_13 male St Marcel 09Apr17 (3).JPG
(backlighting problem :? )
euphenoides15_13 male St Marcel 09Apr17 (2).JPG
euphenoides15_13 male St Marcel 09Apr17 (1).JPG
Western Dappled White female ovipositing on Biscutella laevigata:
crameri25_13 female St Marcel 09Apr17 (3).JPG
crameri25_13 female St Marcel 09Apr17 (2).JPG
The bend in this track has a lot of the host plant:
Context St Marcel 09Apr17 (1).JPG
Here are 2 shots of Buckler's Mustard (Biscutella laevigata) in the foreground with bit of a Provençal backdrop
Biscutalla laevigata St Marcel 09Apr17 (2).JPG
Biscutalla laevigata St Marcel 09Apr17 (1).JPG
Chris
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I have buckler-mustard flowering now in my garden on the Mendips (admittedly greenhouse-assisted). I am hoping the plant will establish, though I doubt the butterflies will colonise it. Would Orange-tips make use of it?
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice to see your Provence Orange Tips are out. Again, they were fairly common in Gibraltar a couple of weeks ago. But I didn't realise dappled whites used the same flower heads for egg laying. Hope they're not canibalistic in the caterpillar stage!

Return to “Overseas”