Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

At sunrise it looked promising for another fine day, unfortunately a sea mist rolled in
and the temperature plummeted. As the sea mist lifted into low cloud there was a
brief spell of sun, but it was too brief to warm up the Butterflies, and later in the morning
the cloud cover was extensive.
All told I saw one Comma, a Speckled Wood, and quite a few Bee Flies.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1300911.JPG
P1300910.JPG
P1300909.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Even if 'it was a bad one' you've still gotten one more Specklie than me :mrgreen: Great shot too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1310041.JPG
Today was the day of the Peacock in Hailsham, with over thirty seen. In contrast only one Comma was spotted.
Speckled Woods were seen in several locations, with sightings of four definite individuals.
There will probably be more after the very warm weather this morning. Two or three Small Whites were flying
but only one stopped briefly. And a solitary male Brimstone refused to stop.

I also had a funny feeling I was being watched, from the cover of the undergrowth !.

In all a fabulous morning,
Trevor.
P1310051.JPG
Attachments
P1310043.JPG
P1310044.JPG
P1310046.JPG
P1310045.JPG
P1310048.JPG
P1310037.JPG
P1310039.JPG
P1310038.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning the weather was largely cloudy, with a brief sunny spell at lunchtime.
So I risked a trip to the old railway, unfortunately there was also a brisk breeze.
Consequently not much was flying, except for Speckled Woods, whose numbers must be building
as several spiralling duels, typical of the species, were observed.

After lunch I went over to Arlington reservoir, again not much action except for several fast flying Peacocks
and a particularly brightly coloured Comma, which although fidgety, did allow several shots.

And so March closes, and I think we'll all agree it's been a remarkable month.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1310064.JPG
P1310066.JPG
P1310065.JPG
P1310072.JPG
P1310071.JPG

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Hi Trevor, nicely marked Comma there. Stands out beautifully. :D

You have had rather a good March. Hope you do well in April.

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That first shot in particular is a real gem Trevor :D :mrgreen: Here's hoping that April is as good as March, although to be honest I'm hoping for it to be a bit better as we've kinda missed out over here in the West...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

A cool breeze and 50/50 sun/cloud was never going to make for a good Butterfly day.
But the weather did not stop the Speckled Woods from flying. A nice surprise came
in the form of a male Holly Blue, which happily landed nearby on a bramble.
Unfortunately it was at head height, restricting photography to side on shots only.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1310100.JPG
P1310097.JPG
P1310099.JPG
P1310098.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Holly Blue there. Still none for me but then their foodplants near me are still a week or two away from being usable so it's probably a good thing.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Likewise still no Holly Blue for me thought reports have started to come in for them, the Specklies have started emerging now as well :D Lovely shots Trevor, that second is so tantalisingly close to opening up :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Buggy & Wurzel,

Only my second Holly Blue sighting. As far as food/breeding plants are concerned, the old railway
has yet to produce an Orange Tip, although this site is generally good for them. I have noted that
there is nothing there yet to tempt them, no preferred nectaring plants or Garlic Mustard showing.
Although this Spring has so far been fantastic, we must remember that it is still early days for most things.
An open wing Holly Blue is high on my agenda when things really get going.

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:...a male Holly Blue, which happily landed nearby on a bramble.
Unfortunately it was at head height, restricting photography to side on shots only.
I share your frustration, Trevor. :evil:

Clearly though, the second phase of spring is now well underway. Large/Green Veined Whites and Small Coppers are surely only a few days away.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Last Sunday my weekly visit to Halnaker was rewarded with many Small Tortoiseshells.
Today all had dispersed except for one, which was duelling with a Peacock, and both were then lost.
The frustration of the day, however, was having to watch helplessly as three male Orange Tips
patrolled the meadow perimeter, all looking as though they might land at any time, but never
actually doing so :evil:.
Eventually my luck changed when I spotted a female Brimstone nectaring on Dandelions,
my first female of this Spring. A little later I saw a male Brimstone occasionally pausing
on the Dandelions and actually got close enough for a couple of shots.

So a sort of rewarding day, and work went well too !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1310152.JPG
P1310153.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely pair of Brimstones, Trevor. :) Orange Tips are a real pain, sometimes. It's almost better to stay in one spot and wait for them, praying for the sun to go in at the right moment.

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately there is nothing along the old railway ( my local patch ! ) or
at Halnaker to interest Orange Tips at the moment. The Garlic Mustard is not very advanced,
and Herb Robert, for instance, is some way from flowering. Neither site has any Cuckoo flower.
I'll have to search further afield, or be patient.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Brimstone shots Trevor :D That's the trouble with OTs most times the shots come down to just being lucky :?
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

hi Trevor,

You are certainly having a great start to the season down there, a bit behind you here but things are starting to kick of now.

I particularly like your photos of the fresh Speckled Woods :D

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

At about 10.30 this morning I noticed a white Butterfly land in the grounds of the
Bell inn at Great Cheverell, I quickly grabbed my camera and was just in time to
obtain two shots of a female Orange Tip. My first Orange Tip image of this season.

Last year my first OT. was a female. The one today must be one of the first females of this season.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1310186.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor - I'm glad The Bell Inn is producing the butterfly goods :D I'm going to check out my Duke site this weekend fingers crossed for Grizzlies and if I find any I'll let you know :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Good find, Trevor. I've only just seen my first males of the season, so your neck of the woods is definitely somewhat ahead of mine.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel & David,

Wurzel is right about the West being slower than the East, and of course you are even further West, David.
Orange Tips are now ' old hat ' in Sussex, but still a novelty in Wiltshire.
Seen recently around Great Cheverell, one Brimstone, two Holly Blues, Three Specklies and four Orange Tips.
Despite strong sunshine, the air has been very cool, and it's been around lunchtime before things got going.

Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”