Norfolk Butterfly Spots

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
ChrisK

Norfolk Butterfly Spots

Post by ChrisK »

Hi Folks,

This is aimed more at anyone from Norfolk or those that have visited. I'm interested to know what are your favourite spots for butterflying?
Last year I greatly enjoyed Foxley Woods, Holt Country Park, Buxton Heath and Warham Camp. I've done quite a few years on the Broads so looking for suggestions elsewhere really. Planning on going to Narborough Railway this year, hopefully catch (not literally) some Green Hairstreaks there, and also up by Holkham for Dark Green Fritillaries and White Letter Hairstreaks. I've heard Wiveton down can be good, anyone have experience of that place?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Christian
David M

Re: Norfolk Butterfly Spots

Post by David M »

Christian, I hope this may be of help to you:

http://butterfly-conservation.org/291/n ... ranch.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I can only speak about the situation a few years ago, but one of my favourites was Holme Dunes NNR. Past highlights
Grayliings (guaranteed)
Wall Brown (declined badly in period 2000-2010)
Green Hairstreak,
Small Copper
(I once saw Green Hairstreak and Copper sparring - wonderful colour combination)
Brown Argus,
DG Fritillary
Clouded Yellow

Jack
William

Post by William »

Hi Christian,

I visited Holkham a couple of years ago - a great spot. If you park on Lady Anne's Drive and walk up to the sign board at the end (under the Holm Oaks), and then turn left, this path from here to the house is the best area for butterflies. The first half is good for White Admirals (feeding on the brambles) and Purple Hairstreaks (in the oaks), while the latter half, between the hide and the house there are lots of Wych Elms along the N side of the path - this is a great spot for White-Letter Hairstreak, which are easily seen in the Elms, and occasionally on the Brambles down below.

You can go out onto the beach by the hide, I saw a single Grayling in this area (not sure how regular they are), and then head west into the larger area of Dunes once you're on the beach. These are good for Dark Green Fritillary, I also saw Common Blue and Marsh Helleborines here. Worth looking out for the large Little Tern colony on the beach too.

Good Luck!

William
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Lovely, thanks everyone.
I saw my first butterfly of the year on the 15th March, balmy spring day that brought out a Brimestone and then a pair of peacocks. Then it turned cold again. Looking forward to this season, fingers crossed it will be better than last year.

Return to “General”