Large Blue collector convicted

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
John W

Large Blue collector convicted

Post by John W »

Collector convicted for illegally catching and killing the UK's rarest butterfly

http://butterfly-conservation.org/48-15 ... erfly.html
The court heard that Cullen was spotted climbing over a locked fence to gain access to Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust's Daneway Banks nature reserve, near Sapperton, Gloucestershire on 18 June.

He was spotted attempting to catch a Large Blue in a net by Butterfly Conservation member Neil Hulme, who was visiting the site.
(apologies if someone else has already posted this)
bugboy

Re: Large Blue collector convicted

Post by bugboy »

Wasn't just Large Blues either, he had Heath Fritillary, High Brown Fritillary and Swallowtails in his collection.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

All the relevant conservation land owners, should get together and put a restraining order on this idiot. That way he could be arrested for even being on a reserve. 

Regards Gary
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's disgusting what he did I've seen them at Gait Barrows with nets before today, I just hope they get caught
there. :x Goldie :(
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Pleased to see that this story made most of the national press. Now the courts need to batten the bugger for a few weeks to make him think about it!

Tony M.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tony Moore wrote:Pleased to see that this story made most of the national press. Now the courts need to batten the bugger for a few weeks to make him think about it!
Including a discussion on Jeremy Vines Radio 2 show today. There should be a podcast available for it if anybody wants to listen in.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Paul Harfield wrote:
Tony Moore wrote:Pleased to see that this story made most of the national press. Now the courts need to batten the bugger for a few weeks to make him think about it!
Including a discussion on Jeremy Vines Radio 2 show today. There should be a podcast available for it if anybody wants to listen in.
It's on the bbc iplayer, starts about halfway through with a nice interview with Neil Hulme as well.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks for the heads up, I'll enjoy listening to that.
David M

Post by David M »

Good news. Nice to see Neil H had a hand in things. This kind of practice belongs to a different era.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

The story has even made the New York Times and includes Neil's picture of the culprit in action https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/worl ... .html?_r=0
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Well found and thanks for posting as it gives further details that are lacking here in the country where the offence was committed.

After having had his house searched and dead specimens found with 'CH' and 'DB' written on them, which to everyone on here denote Collard Hill and Daneway Banks, this idiot pleaded the following:

Mr. Cullen said CH was short for “Cobalt Hue” and that DB stood for “Dark Blue.” He acknowledged that he had traded in butterflies in the past, but that he bought them legally and sold them at auction.

Perhaps we ought to introduce a similar kind of plea bargaining they have in the US, i.e. don't take the p**s and we promise not to give you maximum sentence.

Quite frankly, this is such an obvious lie that the judge ought to be in a position to increase the sentence for perjury.

I have his images saved and will be on the lookout whenever I'm at either of these sites (or whenever I see anyone with a net).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'll do that has well at Gait Barrow, and take His/Her photo as well, it was a woman I saw last time. Goldie :x
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

Interestingly enough, last year it was two females I noticed with a net at Bishop Middleham Quarry where there is a colony of Northern Brown Arguses. They kept well away from me and kept appearing now and again to see if the coast was clear. I was quite disappointed at the idea of it all. God idea though, in future I'll photograph any suspects.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I've just deleted a post containing an image of 2 individuals who were considered "suspect". I can personally vouch for one of them. And thanks to the 3 UKB members who alerted me to the post.

Given that such posts could be considered libellous, I'd appreciate it if such images were not posted in UKB.

I should also point out that not everyone with a net is a collector, and that anyone taking photos of suspicious behaviour should be wary; things could get nasty.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

He escaped with a suspended sentence and community service - perhaps not harsh enough but still a pretty serious sentence? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39528286
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

He won't do it again and it will be a deterrent to others. That would seem to be a good enough outcome.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

I guess this was as severe a sentence as could be reasonably expected.

With any luck, the adverse personal publicity (notoriety?) he has received will act as a further deterrent.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. I can't believe that people in this day and age are still doing this stuff.

Return to “General”