Duke of Burgundy in Dorset

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Janet Turnbull

Duke of Burgundy in Dorset

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I have booked a stay at Lulworth Cove 19-23 May, specifically to go butterflying, and I'm keen to see the Duke of Burgundy. Where would be the best place to head for?
Jack Harrison

Re: Duke of Burgundy in Dorset

Post by Jack Harrison »

Experts needed here but I fear those dates might be too late for the Duke.

Jack
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Last year in the Chiltons I got my first one on the 13th May and my last one on 9th June, the year before it was 16th May and 27th May respectively so your dates should be perfect assuming they fly at the same time down there. The closest listed sites seem to be the Cerne Hill Giant and Batcome Hill but there are some locals on here that will have excellent local knowledge of Dukes in that part of the world, Mr Wurzel springs to mind!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I don't think it's particularly late to be honest, unless we get a prolonged warm spell from mid-April onwards.

They probably peak in the first half of May in a normal year but 19th to 23rd should still see plenty on the wing.

If Neil Hulme spots this thread then I'm sure he'll proffer the best advice given his knowledge of this species.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I saw the Duke at Cerne Abbas on 1 June 2014. Being thoughtful and helpful butterflies they keep to the bottom of the very steep slope.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Thank you all for your replies - it would seem we'll be in with a chance of seeing the Duke. Cerne Abbas sounds a good bet.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

With the added advantage that you should see marsh fritillaries there too. Look for cowslips in areas that have a few small bushes, as dukes are rarely found in open downland. I am always surprised how small they are, about the size of a common blue, so don't get caught out if you've never seen them before. Cerne Abbas hill is a great butterfly site.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

essexbuzzard wrote:With the added advantage that you should see marsh fritillaries there too
Essexbuzzard, I will look out for them. Sorry I missed your comment before! Thanks for the clues to watch for.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work has kept me away from the Forums - I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. One other aspect to consider is checking out the sightings page on the local branch of Butterfly Conservation as that can usually keep you up to date. I am aware of a couple of other sites on the way down to Dorset from Wiltshire but they can be a bit hit and miss, the Cerne is definitely your best bet :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Sites”