Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:Epping Forest 4th March

This weekend looked decidedly iffy for any sort of butterflying...
That bl**dy jet stream has shifted again meaning that after such a benign winter, we are back to storms and low pressure. I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :(

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:
bugboy wrote:Epping Forest 4th March

This weekend looked decidedly iffy for any sort of butterflying...
That bl**dy jet stream has shifted again meaning that after such a benign winter, we are back to storms and low pressure. I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :(
I fear a less predictable jet stream may become the new norm as climate change continues :?. Time will tell. It did feel relatively warm today in the sun but that stiff breeze was certainly keeping a lid on temperatures and things don't look good for the rest of the week. Generally it's the second half of March when I start seeing things down here so hopefully the jet stream moves north again soon.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Let's hope so, Bugboy. The last thing we need are winter storms in late March.

For the last week or so, being in south Wales has been like living under a curtain, such has been the predominance of cloud cover.

With any luck, things will change soon and we'll all get the opportunity for an early spring butterfly fix!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The local patch 7th March

In the world of Bugboy, Tuesday is the new Wednesday. A change in my work rota means I know have every Tuesday off as opposed to Tomorrow so expect a regular Tuesday update from me this year :)

Today did feel much warmer than the 10 degrees that was forecast, a drop in the wind from yesterday probably being the main reason. Despite this I have still to find anything on the wing since the Red Admiral at work a few weeks ago. I've noticed over the years that Walthamstow Marshes is quite an early site for Blackthorn, of my usual haunts, it's always the first place to burst into flower.
IMG_0002.JPG
Also just getting ready for the spring pollinators are the local Sallows, although this cheeky Squirrel was getting a head start munching his way through the sweet snacks!
IMG_0004.JPG
I suspect my next update will actually have some butterflies in it, I'll not be able to get out for a week. I've also taken my rescued Speckled Wood pupae from the fridge so that will hopefully be emerging in a few weeks time, I might (emphasise on the might) even catch it emerging on camera!

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

You will get at least a days notice on the Speckled Wood pupa, as it will darken up in the wing cases, it will be interesting to know if the Brown or the White/Cream forms first. In Orange Tips, the Orange comes first in the Male, then in both sexes, White, and lastly the Black spot and wing tip.

Marbled White pupae form up fast, so the next morning, the butterfly has hatched, so i expect similar in the Speckled Wood.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Here's hoping you're right about the next posting having some butterflies Bugboy, after the briefest of tasters in February it's backwards round here! Gales, frosts, torrential rain showers :( Blooming Jet Stream :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Buggy,

It's the same around here, the Blackthorn is starting to bloom, and we've had sunshine,
but the cold wind/air is keeping any Butterflies from flying.
So far I've had one sighting from a distance, and on Monday I spooked a basking Red Admiral
by casting my shadow over it.

Not a happy Bunny,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

You're in a good part of the UK for early butterflies, Bugboy, so I expect to see some returns within the next week! I shall be trying to do likewise from my own disadvantaged location in south Wales! :(

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Mr Sp0ck, it's been many years since I've reared a Speckled Wood from any stage, probably sometime in the late 80's!

And as promised this post has a butterfly in it! As the temperatures rose this morning at work I was wishing I'd been able to take the day off, there was no way I would have not found a butterfly today but I was left hoping to catch one at work. As it happened the butterfly Gods were feeling sorry for me and my first Comma of the year fluttered around me and settled just long enough to get a snap on my phone :)
20170309_131848.jpg
10 minutes later in almost the same spot a Peacock appeared but he was a little more camera shy so you'll just have to trust me on that.

It's good to get of the mark properly with 2 out of the 4 genuine adult hibernators ticked off. The next 2 days don't look too good but I may chance my luck and take my camera to work with me on Saturday, similar temperatures (17 degrees) as today predicted :)

David M

Post by David M »

Good for you, Bugboy! Usually Commas and Peacocks are a little behind Torties and Brimstones, but today has been so mild I think they've all been given a very loud alarm call and risen simultaneously!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice one Buggy :D It's getting to that time of the year when you'll need your camera all of the time :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

bugboy wrote:I've also taken my rescued Speckled Wood pupae from the fridge so that will hopefully be emerging in a few weeks time, I might (emphasise on the might) even catch it emerging on camera!
MrSp0ck wrote:You will get at least a days notice on the Speckled Wood pupa, as it will darken up in the wing cases, it will be interesting to know if the Brown or the White/Cream forms first. In Orange Tips, the Orange comes first in the Male, then in both sexes, White, and lastly the Black spot and wing tip. Marbled White pupae form up fast, so the next morning, the butterfly has hatched, so I expect similar in the Speckled Wood.
Hi Paul,

The Speckled Wood is one of the Species I have studied in detail, including documenting the development of the pupa. You can see the photos here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7957#p91359

Vince

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Vince Massimo wrote:
bugboy wrote:I've also taken my rescued Speckled Wood pupae from the fridge so that will hopefully be emerging in a few weeks time, I might (emphasise on the might) even catch it emerging on camera!
MrSp0ck wrote:You will get at least a days notice on the Speckled Wood pupa, as it will darken up in the wing cases, it will be interesting to know if the Brown or the White/Cream forms first. In Orange Tips, the Orange comes first in the Male, then in both sexes, White, and lastly the Black spot and wing tip. Marbled White pupae form up fast, so the next morning, the butterfly has hatched, so I expect similar in the Speckled Wood.
Hi Paul,

The Speckled Wood is one of the Species I have studied in detail, including documenting the development of the pupa. You can see the photos here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7957#p91359

Vince
Thanks Vince, your pictures are very useful. I'll try to replicate them as best I can, it will be interesting to see how closely they match.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Thanks Vince

So its 32 hours notice from when the first spots start to appear in the wing cases. 15 hours when the Brown starts.

I found it interesting that the white/cream spots form first as orange/brown, then is the last to get the colour 15 minutes before hatching.

Overwintering pupae could be different, as the diapause breaking could be a factor, along with temperatures.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks David,
David M wrote:Good for you, Bugboy! Usually Commas and Peacocks are a little behind Torties and Brimstones...
in my part of the world it's not unusual to have Peacocks and Commas as my season firsts, S. Torts are still thin on the ground here and the other two species far outnumber them. I am slightly surprised not to have seen a Brimstone yet though.
Wurzel wrote:Nice one Buggy :D It's getting to that time of the year when you'll need your camera all of the time :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
You're quite right there Wurzel!

11th March

With a repeat performance of Thursday on the cards My camera was safely packed into my bag for work, hoping to use my lunch break to catch up with what I saw two days ago. It wasn't quite as sunny, mostly bright hazy, but it was plenty warm enough with very little wind to ruin the day so come noon I quickly stuffed my face with food and shot off to the best butterfly spot at work... nothing :( .

It took a good ten minutes of searching before a Comma finally shot up from under my foot. It flew around, briefly threatened to settle again before vanishing. I wandered off and disturbed another (or most likely the same) Comma who again vanished. With just five minutes of my lunch break left I caught a glimpse of orange amongst the bramble and nettles on a bank close to the first sighting. It was third time lucky, she sat still as I struggled to maintain my balance on the bank whilst getting her in frame and trying to avoid my shadow falling over her.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
Seconds after the final shot here she was off again, and so was I, but I'd managed what I was after, the long winter wait finally behind me :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice Comma, Buggy - she looks nearly as fresh as she would have been before her winter rest! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Bugboy :D Butterflies do often leave it until the last minute before appearing, I swear they do it on purpose :x Sometimes if I'm not having much luck I wander around muttering "Oh well I better head off then" and then they flutter out of the woodwork :lol: Another trick is to pour yourself a coffee or start eating your lunch - pre-pour no butterflies, scalding hot coffee poured from the Thermos butterflies everywhere :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Bugboy
Just catching up. It should not be long before you have the other hibernators ticked off. The next few days don't look bad :wink: .
Good luck with your Speckled Wood. I have reared this species a few times and missed the emergence almost every single time, hopefully you will have more luck. Well done on finding a pupa, I have only ever managed to find an already hatched one in the wild.

David M

Post by David M »

Amazing to see Commas so plentiful after last year's paucity.

Let's hope this trend continues throughout the year.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks everyone, It's funny how everyone is commenting on the amount of Comma's appearing, for me it's nothing out of the ordinary so far!

And speaking of which, are we bored of Commas yet,,, no, good :D

13th March

Another sunny spring day stuck at work so I had to squeeze in the butterflying where I could. My lunchtime browse today didn't come up with anything, there was more of a breeze today with a distinct nip to it and I had to wait a little while longer for anything to appear. By the middle of the afternoon the breeze seemed to die away, temperatures 'soured' and sure enough a butterfly appeared, another Comma but I was meant to be working so no camera to hand. He seemed quite settled though, basking on a log pile, and sure enough when I was able to make time to grab my camera he was still sat there. This one makes it 3 separate individuals so far at work.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
A while later, after making sure I'd done some noticeable work, I spied a barely visible splodge of orange in a sea of sprouting Cow Parsley. From the distance I was anyone else would have hardly noticed anything but I've got my eye in for Commas now and sure enough another Comma it was, and another new individual, a rather boldly marked chap :)
IMG_0016.JPG
Day off tomorrow but unless there's a massive change to the forecast, I won't be seeing anything, it looks to be thick cloud all day :(

Return to “Personal Diaries”