dilettante

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Just back from a great couple of weeks in Devon and Cornwall for a family holiday.

This is the only Small Copper I've seen all year, rather sadly. This was near Sennen Cove / Land's End:

A rather tatty Grayling, one of two or three seen. This one was near Mên-an-Tol

I found Walls in a few places along the coast. This one was near Pendeen

Red Admirals were common everywhere. This rather fresh one was actually in the Cotswolds, where we'd stopped for a couple of nights to break the long journey home from Cornwall

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Re: dilettante

Post by David M »

dilettante wrote:This is the only Small Copper I've seen all year, rather sadly.
A frightening statistic. Sadly, I think I've seen more Small Coppers during a day trip to the Isle of Man than I have all year on the mainland. Worrying stuff.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was worried too about the Small Coppers but I've seen them at four different sites recently so hopefully they're having a final surge - great shots as always dilattante :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I hardly ever see Small Coppers near me in Cambs, so I'm not sure I can say they've declined, but it's a shame they're so hard to find.

dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I went down to a local chalk pit reserve (Cherry Hinton East Pit) in the heat yesterday, hoping for a Clouded Yellow as they've turned up there before. No luck on that front, but I was pleased to see good numbers of Common Blues, which have been noticeably few and far between this year. Several active males, and females ovipositing. Some probable Brown Argus also, but I wasn't able to confirm.

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

09-Mar-2017

Just to record my first sightings of the year: a Brimstone (possibly several), a Comma and a Small Tortoiseshell in Cherry Hinton nature reserve, Cambs at lunchtime in the sun, around 13 degC

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Off to a good start like most of us today, Dilettante.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I could only match two of those Dilettante - it seems everyone's seen a Comma now except me :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Saturday 10th June 2017

I've not been able to do much butterflying so far this year due to having a new puppy taking up all our time. But yesterday I managed to get time to make a trip to Monk's Wood to look for Black Hairstreaks. As has been reported elsewhere, they're having a good year at this site and were in evidence at most suitable blackthorn bushes I looked at around the wood.

Of course they're not the most cooperative species when it comes to photography. These first two images were taken with the camera held at arm's length above my head:

Black Hairstreak, Monk's Wood, Cambs, 10-Jun-2017

A teasing glimpse of upperside:

This one was more obliging:

I also saw my first Ringlet of the year - beautifully fresh and chocolatey velvet, but unfortunately no photo. And as someone else reported seeing a fresh Comma, I saw this one which I like to think is its mother :-)

Comma, Monk's Wood, Cambs, 10-Jun-2017

Also Large Skipper, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown. No whites at all as far as I recall.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Brilliant Black Hairstreak images, a species I have not seen yet.
Must put that right one day.

Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Dilettante, a species I've not encountered myself mostly because it's such a tricky one to see/photograph - but you've made it look easy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Trevor and Wurzel.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You did better than I did with those Hairstreaks, partly my own fault for wandering off just when a female decided to pose but oh well, always next year :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Sunday 2nd July 2017
A trip to Therfield Heath to get my fix of Summer butterflies didn't disappoint: Marbled White, a few Chalkhill Blues, a handful of Dark Green Fritillaries, plus Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Small Skipper, Brimstone, Large White, Small White, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell.

Gatekeeper, Therfield Heath, Herts, 2-Jul-2017

Butterfly photography is less easy with my new furry companion!

While there I was given a tip-off about good numbers of Silver-washed Fritillary at a local wood so I took myself there in the afternoon.

Silver-washed Fritillary, Eversden, Cambs, 2-Jul-2017

Silver-washed Fritillary, Eversden, Cambs, 2-Jul-2017

Commas seem to be having a good year.

Comma, Eversden, Cambs, 2-Jul-2017

And here's a canonical Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper, Eversden, Cambs, 2-Jul-2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots dilettante :D especially the classic Essex :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Wurzel. I was pleased to confirm Essex Skippers on my doorstep while walking the dog this morning, and was happy with this phone picture:

Essex Skipper mating pair, Cambs, 7-Jul-2017

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the shot of your new companion, :D your Essex skipper shots are good too :lol: Goldie :D

dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

April 2018

Time to start my diary for 2018. After such a late start, it seems all of Spring has happened in a week. I didn't see my first butterfly until Saturday 13th April - a Brimstone in my South Cambs garden, closely followed by a Small Tortoiseshell

Wednesday 18th brought my first Holly Blue, as well as Peacock and Comma, in Cherry Hinton LNR on the edge of Cambridge.
Thursday 19th brought Orange Tip and Speckled Wood in the same location, as well as unidentified whites.

Today, Sunday 22nd, I went to Fleam Dyke, Fulbourn to look for Green Hairstreak. The scrub has been significantly cleared, and despite the heat it was quite breeezy so I wasn't too hopeful, but on my return journey after the sun had gone in and with a thunder storm looming, I found a single specimen:

Green Hairstreak, Fleam Dyke, Cambs, 22-Apr-2018

It's not particularly fresh-looking so must have been out for a day or two.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's been a bit of Green weekend Dilettante - those are cracking shots of the Green one :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

dilettante wrote:...After such a late start, it seems all of Spring has happened in a week....
I can't improve on that, Dilettante. It just about sums things up.

We've had months and months of winter, no 'early' spring, and suddenly here we are expected to cope with 23c temperatures!!

No wonder rubi is making hay!

Return to “Personal Diaries”