Two-tailed Pasha in Southern Spain?

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
David Tipping

Two-tailed Pasha in Southern Spain?

Post by David Tipping »

I'm thinking of travelling to Almunecar, in the Grenada Province of Southern Spain (approx 50 miles west of Malaga) this June. I'm hoping there might be a realistic chance of seeing Two-tailed Pasha, amongst other species. Can anybody who knows the area offer encouragement?
DJT
Sylvie_h

Re: Two-tailed Pasha in Southern Spain?

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi David,

Two Tailed Pasha are normally found all around the med at lower altitudes and normally in wooded areas where the foodplant (arbutus Unedo) is. If you can find this type of habitat, then you are in a good chance of finding the butterfly. I've seen the butterfly very often perched on a branch of trees or sucking the sap on tree trunks. I hope you get to see them, they are quite extraordinary.
Good luck!
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

What time in June are you going? Might be easier to see them in early June.
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

The holiday is planned for late June, which I'm aware is tail-end time for the first brood - other commitments prevent me from going earlier. We've decided to head for the Ria Formosa Natural Park in the Algarve rather than Spain, which should offer something of interest even if we miss the two-tailed pashas.
DJT

Return to “Overseas”