Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Susie »

Cracking programme Neil! I missed the start, loved it, saw your name in the credits at the end and went to iplayer to watch the beginning- even better than the rest of it and a lovely surprise. Made me nostalgic for summer.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Susie. I reckon the producer and Peter did justice to the beauty of the South Downs. With only an hour to play with it's a shame that so much great footage inevitably failed to make the cut. There was enough material to make a full series.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Fritillaries for the Future 2017 Update 1

This winter has seen a vast amount of conservation work done in the woodlands of Sussex, for my BC Fritillaries for the Future (FFTF) project. There has been so much going on that I've had little time for blogging, but here is just a selection of some of that work.

Rewell Wood
A large quantity of new Pearl-bordered Fritillary (PBF) habitat has been created this winter. Two Sweet Chestnut coppice coupes have been cut by a contractor, including one adjacent to the W-E ride at the southern end of the wood, which has public access. BC Sussex and the South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) jointly funded the mulching of a 1.25 hectare clearing, which once supported PBF but has long been swamped under Silver Birch scrub. SDNPA staff, its Volunteer Ranger Service and BC Sussex volunteers have continued a rolling programme of scallop and glade creation. A corridor has also been opened up to connect permanently open habitat with recently cut coppice coupes. There will be guided walks here, morning and afternoon, on 6 and 7 May (details will appear on the BC Sussex website). I am grateful to the Norfolk Estate for allowing access for these walks, and for its generous support for the project.
FFTF Rewell mulch job 3.1.17 (1).jpg
FFTF Rewell Work 16.11.16 (1).jpg
BC Park Corner Heath Reserve
The clock has been turned back to the 1980s here, with the implementation of a much more aggressive management programme. A quantum leap in the amount of Bracken and scrub control has been largely achieved through the training of volunteers in the safe use of brushcutters, funded by my FFTF project. A vast quantity of Buckthorn and Silver Birch has been cleared to recreate a much more open structure, and thick blankets of old Bracken have been broken down. I'm now chainsaw-certificated, so have thinned out some of the trees along the stream bank, to create humid glades with dappled sunlight/shade. Aside from our BC Sussex work parties, we have been greatly assisted by visits from the Brighton Conservation Volunteers. I would also like to thank Trevor (Rapley) and Doug Neve, for providing assistance and support while I used powertools here over the Christmas and New Year period. I believe this is the dawn of a new era on the Sussex reserves, with hopefully some further major developments still to come.
FFTF PCH 12.2.17 (3).jpg
FFTF PCH 12.2.17 (1).jpg
FFTF PCH 12.2.17 (4).jpg
FFTF PCH 21.2.17 (2).jpg
FFTF PCH work party (3) 8.1.17.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Fritillaries for the Future 2017 Update 2

Clapham Wood
Over the winter I've been working with both a commercial Hazel coppice worker (a rare beast these days), Marcus Clear, and a group of local volunteers affiliated to the South Downs Volunteer Ranger Service, although unlike most SDVRS, they work exclusively on this one site. They have been resident for more than 15 years, under the leadership of ex-commando Ron MacKenzie. The separate coppice cycles they work on have been adjusted, in terms of their coupe sequencing, to suit the Pearl-bordered Fritillary (PBF), while still maintaining cuts more appropriate for the Hazel Dormouse. PBF today only flies on a single Hazel coppice site in the UK. I hope to improve this situation, which would have seemed unthinkable in the mid C20th.
FFTF Marcus Clear Yard, Clapham Wood (3).jpg
FFTF Clapham Wood (west) commercial Hazel coppice 17.3.16.jpg
FFTF Clapham clearance4 large.jpg
FFTF Church Copse 19.1.17.jpg
FFTF Church Copse work party 12.1.17.jpg
Angmering Park Estate
With the kind cooperation of the Angmering Park Estate, which lies between Rewell Wood and Clapham Wood, I have been given permission to start a new Hazel coppice cycle at Poling. I've caught the coppicing bug and now have a smaller chainsaw specifically for cutting overstood (overgrown) coppice. I've been working alongside Chris Letchford of the National Coppice Federation and we've finished the first in a sequence of eight coupes. We will start re-cutting the first coupe when halfway round the cycle, to keep four compartments suitable for PBF breeding at any time. This will maximise the potential of a relatively small area. PBF flew here until the early 1990s. After the 1987 blow-down the coppice was cut back to allow the clear-up, but the butterfly was inevitably lost when it again became unmanaged. I expect PBF dispersing from Rewell Wood (in years when the population peaks) to find this area relatively easily.
FFTF Poling Copse 17.1.17.jpg
FFTF Poling Copse (2) 8.2.17.jpg
FFTF Poling Copse 14.2.17.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Fritillaries for the Future 2017 Update 3

Cowdray Estate
A small colony of Pearl-bordered Fritillary (PBF) has persisted in a wood near Fernhurst for many years, due to intensive management led by BC staff and the South Downs National Park Authority and its volunteers. However, like most remaining PBF populations, it suffered terribly at the hands of the near-tropical temperatures experienced during December 2015, and its future hangs in the balance. The Cowdray Estate has a new Head Forester, Richard Everett, with a great reputation for balancing commercial operations with the needs of wildlife. A very wide ride of 1km length has been cut over the winter, and the original ride which has supported PBF has been re-coppiced. If the butterfly has managed to hang on here, its future will look considerably brighter.
Cowdray1.JPG
Cowdray2.JPG

Tottington Wood
For some years now I've been helping the owner of part of Tottington Wood (Longlands) to manage his compartments. This site has developed into one of the most beautiful woodlands I know of. Last year I wrote an article for Smallwoods magazine based largely on our experiences here, as it demonstrates what can be achieved with a little (OK, quite a lot) of effort, concluding with the remark that the owner's 10% of the entire wood now hosts 90% of the butterflies. The South Downs Volunteer Ranger Service has, as always, been incredibly helpful in providing some muscle. Now that more light has been allowed in the woodland floor becomes a riot of colour each spring. I've used my recently acquired skills with a chainsaw to make a few holes in the canopy.
FFTF Longlands Wood South 5.2.17.jpg
FFTF Longlands Wood South - spring 2014 (1).jpg
FFTF Longlands Wood South - spring 2014 (2).jpg
Private Wood - Pulborough
The owners of a quite large wood near Pulborough have handed me a rare opportunity; the chance to restructure a sizeable area of naturally regenerating woodland (following large-scale conifer clearance) to an almost entirely wildlife-led design. Generously sized scallops have been cut in the optimum positions alongside the old ride system, and the ride edges will be subject to an annual programme of rotational management. The potential here is huge and I will gain great satisfaction from charting the site's development. I view the generosity of the owners, who funded this extensive work themselves, as a wonderful gift to butterflies and a host of other wildlife.
FFTF Ravenswood Scallop 7 look west 29.9.16.jpg
FFTF Ravenswood Scallop 6 29.9.16.jpg
FFTF Ravenswood completing Scallop 5 29.9.16.jpg
FFTF Ravenswood Scallop 5 from Scallop 4 29.9.16.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Fritillaries for the Future 2017 Update 4

Vert Woods Community Woodland
I've been working closely with the Vert Woods Community Woodland (VWCW), which covers an area of 69 hectares adjacent to and southeast of the BC reserves in Sussex. This new venture, which seeks to restore a large area of the Vert Wood complex (double the size of Park Corner Heath and Rowland Wood together) to its former glory, presents a huge opportunity for woodland butterflies. Plumpton College students are using the site for woodland management and arboriculture training, at the same time providing a workforce to open up rides and glades. VWCW has held a number of interesting events here, including the benefits of portable sawmilling and the uses of Sweet Chestnut. Over the next few years this area should start filling up with wildlife.
FFTF VWCW meeting 27.1.17.jpg
FFTF Chestnut Day in VWCW 22.10.16 (1).jpg
Charlton Forest
A project led by Butterfly Conservation and the Forestry Commission was recently awarded more than £20,000 by the Veolia Environmental Trust, an environmental body enrolled in the Landfill Communities Fund. The project will facilitate follow-up work to some major commercial felling within Charlton Forest, performed to a fritillary-friendly blueprint I put together. This is a working forest with very restricted access, but the benefits which it will bring should be visible within the surrounding landscape, at sites including the Graffham Down Trust reserves and Heyshott Escarpment. The images give some idea of the scale of the work, this being just a tiny part.
FFTF Charlton Phase 1, Location 22 28.4.16.jpg
FFTF Charlton Phase 1, Location 18 28.4.16.jpg
Graffham Down Trust
For many years I've worked closely with the Graffham Down Trust, which has recently made great progress in opening up woodland rides and glades in its varied mosaic of habitats. This area has just been included within a different, new BC project, which will benefit Fritillaries for the Future and vice versa, adding value to both.
FFTF Graffham Down 29.1.17.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Goodness, Neil - you have been busy!

Well done on all the hard work; the Fritillaries of Sussex stand a far higher chance of continued success. I hope to see you at one, or more, of these sites in the Spring :)

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That is a spectacular amount of work you and your team have managed Neil, and you managed to squeeze in a small book in the downtime... is there such a thing as downtime in your life at the moment :?: Here's to some relaxing summertime afternoons enjoying the results of your labours :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I knew you were up to something, having completed "The Atlas" :) Really inspiring work there, Neil - many thanks for the update.

Spring cannot come soon enough!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Fantastic work, Neil and I hope that it inspires others to volunteer and get involved.
Now, have a great holiday and get ready to observe the fruits of your labour :D

Vince

David M

Post by David M »

Good Lord, you have been busy lately, Neil. Hope you're not overdoing it.....wouldn't want you succumbing to pneumonia again! :(

Thanks for the updates along with some overviews of the sites themselves. It's nice to see how things look so soon after the preparatory work. Looks to be some excellent habitat there and I'm certain the butterflies will respond positively.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. A few more project updates to come, but they'll have to wait until I get back from two weeks in Fuerteventura :D
Time to recharge the batteries, in time for what will be a very busy spring.
BWs, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

What a wonderful job you have been doing Neil. You deserve an OBE – and it certainly wouldn’t stand for Other B-ggers’ Efforts.
Who is going to put Neil up for a gong? I would like to start the ball rolling myself but the truth is in my 79th year, I lack the energy these days.

Jack

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

This is quite incredible Neil. Huge efforts from you and all that have supported you. The Fritillaries of Sussex are absolutely in good hands

William

Post by William »

Extraordinary stuff Neil, look forward to seeing how it all unfolds!

BWs,

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic efforts Neil - could you have a word with the people that manage Bentley Wood - the Small Pearl had a dreadful season there in 2016 :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

May I add my voice to thank Neil for all the hard work he has been doing this winter on behalf of all wildlife, but in particular Butterflies. It looks like many Sussex woods have benefited from Neil and his chainsaw. Lets hope that the weather in 2017 will respond and help facilitate a big recovery in PBF numbers.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great Stuff Neil, can we relocate you to Lancashire :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Neil, how long do we have to wait before your eagerly anticipated book on Sussex butterflies is released? I seem to recall it was scheduled for April. Is there a specific date set aside for the launch?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Neil, how long do we have to wait before your eagerly anticipated book on Sussex butterflies is released? I seem to recall it was scheduled for April. Is there a specific date set aside for the launch?
http://sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings/

I think the above link should provide a rather exact answer to your question David ;)

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”