Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

A sure sign that Spring is on the way !.
This clump of Daffodils started to bloom about two weeks ago,
very early, but not as early as last year.
Attachments
South road car park, Hailsham, 8/2/17.
South road car park, Hailsham, 8/2/17.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

I do hope spring is on its way! My hands are so numb with cold at the moment, it feels like someone else is typing this :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:A sure sign that Spring is on the way !.
This clump of Daffodils started to bloom about two weeks ago,
very early, but not as early as last year.
Lovely, uplifting image, Trevor.

We've a few out here and there in Swansea, but I haven't seen anything like that clump just yet. With cold weather set to strike tomorrow, I fear it'll be a couple of weeks away. :(

trevor

Post by trevor »

I thought those Daffodils would cheer things up, Simon and David.
Although the daylight hours are improving, the temperature is not.
Bitter wind and grey skies here, and the chance of snow.
Just to think that I have called off some Butterfly hunts in the past, because it was too hot !.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The daffs certainly brightened my day up - no sign of any over my way although the Snowdrops and Aconites are making a good showing. Looking good from Tuesday next week - a massive 8 degrees and sunny intervals - maybe the first Small Tort? Hope things are going well your way - a UKBer called Simon is looking to make some trips over this way so I was going to recomomend your daughters' pub - The Bell Inn at Great Cheverall is that right ? - I'm like a regular trip advisor :lol:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Glad the Daffodils cheered you up Wurzel.
I hope the Bell Inn will prove to be a good base for exploring Wiltshires Butterflies.
Certainly 'the hill' is not far from there, but I have yet to spend a Summer in Great Cheverell.
Anyone wishing to stay at the Bell should contact my Daughter, Lorna on 01380 813277.
I am very much looking forward to exploring Wiltshire this coming season, and what is more I
pass some good Butterfly sites on my commute from Sussex, including Iping Common.

All the best,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Another sign of Spring approaching.
The scene from my tiny woodland garden this morning.
The warm sunshine today is enough to entice the odd Butterfly.
But with the bitter east wind, perhaps not :( .

Not too long now,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1300393.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Well if the Snowdrops are out the butterflies aren't far behind :D I risked a run out on Monday - it as okay at Five Rivers but no butterflies - not quite warm enough - maybe tomorrow afternoon - it's supposed to reach 11degrees :shock: So its back to shorts and T-shirt tomorrow :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Surely the time is nigh, Trevor? This imminent mild spell should give us all a chance of breaking our yearly ducks.

We aren't far away.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I share your building optimism, Wurzel & David.
At the moment I am giving my right hand index finger a rigorous workout so that it
is nice and supple, and will be able to react quickly on the camera ' shoot ' button. :lol:
Seriously, my earliest Butterfly since joining UKB was in 2015, on Feb 17th.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

trevor wrote:.......At the moment I am giving my right hand index finger a rigorous workout so that it
is nice and supple, and will be able to react quickly on the camera ' shoot ' button. :lol: ......
Thumb and forefinger for me, as I'm determined to get into the habit of using "back button focus". Anything to increase my chances of sharp shots :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thumb and forefinger for me, as I'm determined to get into the habit of using "back button focus". Anything to increase my chances of sharp shots :)[/quote]

Thumb and forefinger !, I think you may be in danger of over doing it Simon,
all things in moderation.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

trevor wrote:Thumb and forefinger !, I think you may be in danger of over doing it Simon,
all things in moderation.
:lol: :lol:

trevor

Post by trevor »

The good news is that I have just seen my first Butterfly of 2017.
No photo unfortunately, or positive identification but most probably a Red Admiral or Peacock.

Things are looking up,
Trevor.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Nice one. You and bugboy both. I really thought I'd get one today but no dice

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:The good news is that I have just seen my first Butterfly of 2017.
Didn't I tell you, Trevor? :D

Well done.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

trevor wrote:The good news is that I have just seen my first Butterfly of 2017.
No photo unfortunately, or positive identification but most probably a Red Admiral or Peacock.

Things are looking up,
Trevor.
Today was the day it would seem, a RA at work this morning for me :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm glad my forecast worked out Trevor :D Unfortunately I was let down by the Met forecast as at Five Rivers it was cool, breezy and cloudy with brief sunny intervals and not the sunny day 11 degrees as promised. Oh well it won't be the last time they get it wrong this year...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I have been to Wiltshire for the weekend, no Butterflies unfortunately, but I was blown away
by the sheer number of Snowdrops growing wild by the roadside.
In Little Cheverell and Great Cheverell the Snowdrops are growing in their hundreds of thousands.

Hope you enjoy the resulting images,
Trevor.
Attachments
This image shows only a small part of this roadside bank.
This image shows only a small part of this roadside bank.
P1300450.JPG
P1300451.JPG

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What a wonderful sight, Trevor - a carpet of snowdrops with catkins in the trees.

Soon bluebells and wild garlic ... and orange tips (or am I getting ahead of myself?).

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”