Andy Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Andy Brown

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks John, I am now starting to doubt myself. Looking at the image again, I think I was misled by the shape (which is broad at one end) and thus mistook it for a newly emerged pupa. Having said that, it's not the normal shape for a larva either, so I have to assume that this is the form a larva takes when it stops feeding and prepares to hibernate.
IMG_9482.JPG
Vince

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I did wonder :) I had to take a second look myself the first time I saw that one!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Happy new year everyone and lets hope the weather helps the insects this year.

Just updated my moth blog with the summary of 2016 catch for those interested in moths and the first moth for 2017 info can be found at:

https://hortonheathmoths.wordpress.com/

BW

Andy

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Happy new year to you too Andy! Hope your eye is recovering. The owls have been on form lately. Kestrels too!!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

I went out on Sunday with Pauline to find some Purple Hairstreak Ovum, whilst it took longer than we thought we did find 4 or 5 individuals. I have loaded image un-cropped then cropped so those of you not accustomed to this side of butterfly images can get an idea of the size.
Purple Hairstreak 1 Ovum 1a.JPG
Purple Hairstreak 1a Ovum cropped.jpg
Purple Hairstreak 2a Ovum.jpg
Purple Hairstreak 2a Ovum cropped.JPG
Purple Hairstreak 1 Ovum.jpg
Purple Hairstreak Ovum 1 Cropped.jpg
Cheers

Andy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your shots came out good A despite all your grumbling about the wind :wink: :D Think we should make it clear that these shots of the eggs were taken whilst they were on the tree thanks to the stunted nature of the Oaks at Browndown. Reckon I'll get round to posting mine about July :roll:

David M

Post by David M »

Stunning images, Andy, and I truly admire your patience in looking for these ova. They're far harder to find than those of the Brown Hairstreak.

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for your comments Pauline and David,

Here are a few snaps from my travels over the last couple of weeks,

Green Tiger Beetle and Adder
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG
Large Red Damselfly - Pyrrhosoma nymphula
Large Red Damselfly - Pyrrhosoma nymphula
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines - Fresh Ovum 1
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines - Fresh Ovum 1
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines - Fresh Ovum 1 cropped
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines - Fresh Ovum 1 cropped
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines - Ovum
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines - Ovum
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines
Orange-tip - Anthocharis cardamines
Small Copper - Lycaena phlaeas
Speckled Wood - Pararge aegeria
Speckled Wood - Pararge aegeria
Cheers

Andy

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Andy especially the second Adder one :D I almost trod on one last weekend :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andy great shot of the Adder, I've never seen one , hope I don't trip over one this Summer :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Whilst my main reason for being a UKB member is butterflies, what I also like is to see images of other wildlife and those adder shots are extremely welcome, Andy. I happen upon these creatures several times every year and I become more fascinated every time I see them.

Many thanks for sharing.

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks, Wurzel, Goldie & David,

As most of you who know my work I have not been on here as much and am more into the Moths and their recording but always take an interest in general nature I will always be just as keen with the butterflies so here is the first post a series of general stuff including the moths and butterflies, just conscious now of the space/server issues as well that Pete is so kindly trying to address.

So for the mothers fist here is a recent selection

72.022 [BF 2063] Muslin Moth (Diaphora mendica)
72.022  [BF 2063] Muslin Moth (Diaphora mendica) .JPG
16.024 [BF 0445] Ocnerostoma friesei
16.024  [BF 0445] Ocnerostoma friesei .JPG
15.063 [BF 0341] Phyllonorycter maestingella
15.063  [BF 0341] Phyllonorycter maestingella .JPG
28.019 [BF 0649] Esperia sulphurella
28.019  [BF 0649] Esperia sulphurella 1 .jpg
Parornix species, this would need dissecting to establish the exact species which I am only just getting into
Parornix species.JPG

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Morning all,

And here is the best of the rest!
Mandarin Ducks, Sand Lizards with a few Pearls for good measure :D
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG
Male Sand Lizard with common lizard
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1928.JPG
Male & Female sand lizard
IMG_1953.JPG
And the rather aggressive courtship behaviour of the male
IMG_1964.JPG
and last but not least the pearls
Pearl-bordered Fritillary 1.jpg
IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2034 .JPG

sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

wonderful shot for the Pearl.
whereabouts do you see these ?

cheers.

I can't name many of them but it relaxes me to take photos of butterflies and moths :lol: :lol:
Please drop me an email for photo walks. Here are my online galleries: FlickR ; Instagram ; 500px
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for the comment sonomoha, unfortunately the site for the pearls is a bit sensitive at the moment, its not near Bristol though.

Regards

Andy

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots from the Lizards through to Mandarin all topped off with some cracking Pearls Andy :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I can't quite decide which is more beautiful - the lizard or the Pearl Bordered Fritillary.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love the Pearls Andy, Goldie :D

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks you all for your comments on the recent batch of photos.

Decided on Magdalene Hill this morning as I had not been there for a year of 2, silly really as its only 20 minutes away. Anyway I Walked a full circuit of the site from about 8:30 so very Cool wind and variable amount of sun I found a couple of larvae early on with the odd day flying moth & Butterfly, it wasn’t until I go around to the large patch of Hedge Mustard that I noticed any qty of Butterflies. Below are a few snaps in rough order of finding them from the trip, sorry for quality of some as it was breezy.

Butterfly Count from around the site:
Small Blue - 4
Common Blue - 1
Dingy Skipper - 2
Grizzled Skipper - 6+
Orange Tip - 3 (Male)
Large White - 1
Small White - 1
Green Hairstreak - 10+
Brown Argus - 6+
Peacock - 1
Red Admiral - 1
Small Heath - 1

72.012 [BF 2029] Brown-tail (Euproctis chrysorrhoea)
72.012  [BF 2029] Brown-tail (Euproctis chrysorrhoea).JPG
Common Buzzard, not to bad from 200+ yards away with a macro lens
Common Buzzard.JPG
61.018 [BF 1574] Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
61.018  [BF 1574] Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus).JPG
07.015 [BF 0140] Nematopogon swammerdamella. Pretty sure anyway
07.015  [BF 0140] Nematopogon swammerdamella .JPG
07.006 [BF 0150] Adela reaumurella
07.006  [BF 0150] Adela reaumurella .JPG
72.013 [BF 2030] Yellow-tail (Euproctis similis)
72.013  [BF 2030] Yellow-tail (Euproctis similis).JPG
49.354 [BF 1251] Grapholita jungiella
49.354  [BF 1251] Grapholita jungiella .JPG
70.061 [BF 1738] Common Carpet (Epirrhoe alternata)
70.061  [BF 1738] Common Carpet (Epirrhoe alternata).JPG
Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle
Golden-Bloomed Grey Longhorn Beetle.JPG
57.002 [BF 1534] Grizzled Skipper (Pyrgus malvae)
57.002  [BF 1534] Grizzled Skipper (Pyrgus malvae).JPG
61.010 [BF 1569] Small Blue (Cupido minimus)
61.010  [BF 1569] Small Blue (Cupido minimus).JPG
61.010  [BF 1569] Small Blue (Cupido minimus) .JPG
Eurydema oleracea - Brassica Shieldbug
Eurydema oleracea Brassica Shieldbug.JPG
61.015 [B&F 1572] Brown Argus (Aricia agestis)
61.015  [B&F 1572] Brown Argus (Aricia agestis) .JPG
61.015  [BF 1572] Brown Argus (Aricia agestis).JPG
61.005 [BF 1555] Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi)
61.005  [BF 1555] Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi).JPG
I may pop back tomorrow and as my old school teacher said try harder and get some better pictures

Cheers

Andy

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I don't think you could get better shots Andy if you go back :D I envy you the Grizzle and Small Blue ,1st one I've not seen yet 2 sone I've not seen for ages. Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”