April 2008 Votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Whose images would you like to vote for

Poll ended at Tue May 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Denise
9%
Charles Nichol
4%
Padfield
13%
m_galathea
No votes
Gruditch
22%
Yellowhammer
3%
Eccles
3%
Chris
No votes
Ian Pratt
No votes
Jackharr
4%
George
1%
FlyByWire
1%
Pete Eeles
3%
Dave McCormick
No votes
Paul Kipling
No votes
NickB
No votes
FisHEE
14%
Gwenhwyfar
3%
Rosy Rustic
4%
Sussex Skipper
10%
Brian
1%
Simon C
3%
Roundwood123
No votes

Total votes: 69

Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: April 2008 Votes

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Thanks for my two votes and congrats to the winners :)

My winners were :-

1: FishEE
2: Gruditch
3: Eccles
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations to Gruditch, FISHiEE and Guy. I thought Gruditch was a clear winner, but I might have just reversed the order of second and third by 'a nose'. There does seem to be a glitch in the system though, as my 'right to vote' was given and repealed several times. At least I wasn't beaten through a mattress or electrocuted via my nether-regions! :shock: Looks like the May competition will be a good one too!
Neil
Martin

Post by Martin »

Well done to Gary, Guy and Fishee...who just happen to be the three I voted for :D

Martin.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Just a thought, but if we are selecting our top three pics, perhaps we could specify our 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice and them then be allocated 3, 2 and 1 points respectively?

Otherwise if you have one clear favourite the others are getting equal scores for what the voter deems to be lesser quality images?
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Well done to the medallists !!
I was thrilled to get 3 votes... my best ever performance :D :D :mrgreen:

perhaps we could each be given 3 points to allocate as we wished... eg 2 points to one pic & 1 to another or 1 point to 3 separate pics :?

charles
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

FISHiEE wrote:Just a thought, but if we are selecting our top three pics, perhaps we could specify our 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice and them then be allocated 3, 2 and 1 points respectively?

Otherwise if you have one clear favourite the others are getting equal scores for what the voter deems to be lesser quality images?
I know this would make sense. Unfortunately, it would take a lot of work to implement, since we're using a feature that already exists in the forums for these comps!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I used to belong to an organisation that elected members to the committee by allowing each member 3 votes for each position.
If you really felt strongly about a candidate you were advised to cast just one of your 3 votes, as the other votes would 'dilute' the main one.
Perhaps the same can be used here.?
Roger

p.s. Very well done Gary - and all the others.
The standards in these competitions get higher every month!
It is good to see so few now with the butterfly squarely positioned in the centre of the frame - one of the many lessons I took home from the excellent UKB Photo Workshop!!
Cheers

Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Well, it's jolly nice to be on the podium with Gruditch and Fishee! :D Congratulations to them!

The disadvantage of the present system (not distinguishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd) is that it could in principle favour an anodyne picture with broad appeal over a brilliant picture that is more divisive (not that it did that this time, of course!).

The advantage is the same thing, really. The winner is likely to be acceptable to a greater number of voters.

I don't really mind which we do and I think the present system is much easier to implement! In any case, as Roger says, you are not obliged to use all three votes if you have a strong favourite, so we actually get a cross between the two.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Yeah I guess if you want you could use just the one vote. I did think pof this however it's a bit like money. If I have it I wanna spend it! :)
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Well chuffed, especially as that shot took a bit of getting. I was at work and saw the Orange Tip settle on a Bluebell in the middle of a lawn, ( hence the green background ), I couldn't believe my luck as I lined up my first shot, only to find the camera dead with a flat battery. As it had clouded over, and he probably wouldn't move unless the sun came out, I went for it, I run like hell to my truck, drove a mile and a half home ( in the slowest vehicle on the planet ), ran in, kicked the cat, grabbed a new battery, and obviously he was still there when I got back. :D

Well done Fishiee and Guy.
Because of the new 3 vote system Me and Gwen-hepher wavered our usual don't vote for each other rule, but we obviously still kept our never vote for yourself rule, cuz that's just sad, especially when there is only one registered user on line, and we see the votes move, :wink: anyway, I still didn't vote for her, I went for Fishiee, Sussex skipper and Eccles. :D

Gruditch
Chris

Post by Chris »

Nice one Gary... I think you got my vote twice as I hadn't figured the new system! But, deservedly so.
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

The most difficult thing with voting is flicking back through all the postings, and sometimes these are on more than one page.
Could it be possible to amalgamate all the entries as clickable thumbnails on one page?
It would be really helpful, and would look lovely.

Just an idea.

Roger
Cheers

Roger
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Rogerdodge wrote:The most difficult thing with voting is flicking back through all the postings, and sometimes these are on more than one page.
Could it be possible to amalgamate all the entries as clickable thumbnails on one page?
It would be really helpful, and would look lovely.

Just an idea.

Roger
Again - this would take a bit of work since the various images are hosted all over the place (photobucket, UKB, etc.). The reason this comp. works is because it's low-maintenance for Mike et moi :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
eccles

Post by eccles »

Despite my whinging about fixing, and some nice shots by other UKB members, Gruditch's picture is a cracking shot and a deserving winner. WD Gary.

Return to “Competitions”