Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

Week eight is upon us and so will Christmas soon! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by millerd »

On the way down to Taunton on 24th June (the day before the High Brown expedition), I stopped off at Collard Hill and saw good numbers of Large Blues. Activities were cut short by a lengthy downpour in the afternoon, but the butterflies must have known it was coming as they were laying like it was no tomorrow.
LB17a 240616.JPG
However, it was earlier on, just as some weak sunshine made its presence felt that I took my favourite images. This individual sat for some time in this spot and made a perfect model.
LB6 240616.JPG
LB12 240616.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It had been a long time since I'd seen these gorgeous creatures but a risky trip on a day with a decidedly dodgy forecast to Daneway Bank got me re-acquainted with them. This female near the end of day entertained me when a large patch of blue sky broke through the rather grey afternoon.
Large Blue female reduced upperwing spotting, Daneway Bank.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Good effort that, Bugboy. I've never seen one on an orchid before.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Good effort that, Bugboy. I've never seen one on an orchid before.
Thanks David, apart from that annoying blade of grass caught in the flower head. There was another one flying around with a couple of the pollinium attached so this wasn't a one off it would seem!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Add to that, Buggy, that the black spotting is very light making this verge on an ab. as well... :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:Add to that, Buggy, that the black spotting is very light making this verge on an ab. as well... :)

Dave
Vince thought the same, she made it onto the Abs page on the main site :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large Blue

I struggled to choose my Fave Large Blue shot this year as a cracking trip to Daneway Banks back in June provided almost too many shots to choose from. Somehow I managed to whittle them all down but I couldn’t decide between the final pair.

The first I chose because it’s the closest ever open wing shot but not in the classic “I look like I’ve been pinned” style.
DSC_0568 - Copy-001.JPG
The second is because I managed to capture a shot of a Large Blue on an Orchid, something neither Philzoid nor I had seen before…well that was before I saw Bugboy’s post on this thread anyway.
DSC_0592 - Copy.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Although the Large Blues are re-introductions, I still get a buzz from seeing them each year. For some reason, on the day I visited, the ones at Daneway Banks seemed particularly willing to pose with open wings, this year.
Daneway Banks, Glos - 1st July 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO 800
Daneway Banks, Glos - 1st July 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO 800
Mike

Return to “Large Blue”