High Bown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

Week eight is upon us and so will Christmas soon! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: High Bown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by millerd »

One butterfly - one favourite! However, I was rather pleased with this one, the only one I saw on a trip to Heddon Valley in North Devon on 25th June.
HBF2 250616.JPG
HBF4 250616.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Very few seen in the UK this year, and not too many seen in France given the lateness of the season there.

A latter part of July female was probably the best near Bridgend at the last Welsh site for this species:
1HBFfemale2(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I was very happy to bag this lifer up on Arnside Knott, not only was I risking a trip late in their season, but the weather wasn't perfect. It took a few days hunting but I finally nabbed a few individuals of which this one was by far the best looking and unmistakeably of a High Brown rather than a Dark Green persuasion!
High Brown Fritillary, Arnside Knott #45.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I spent more time counting species this year than taking photos, which is why I only have this one underside shot to show.
From central southern France on August 23rd, nectaring on Cephalaria leucantha. This plant is very attractive to butterflies in August and September and I have seen more than 10+ different species of BF at the same time on the same clump of this plant. The long stems sway around a lot in the slightest breeze making clear photos a challenge.
adippe10_83 Vallon du Cros 23Aug16 (1).JPG
Chris
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw a few late High Browns at Arnside Knot on my visit in early August but they were getting a bit tired and faded by then and numbers seemed lower than I have seen there in previous years. From the handful seen and definitely identified as HBFs the shot below is the best I managed.
High Brown Fritillary - Arnside Knot 04.08.2016
High Brown Fritillary - Arnside Knot 04.08.2016
Cheers,

Neil
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

My photo was taken at the Bridgend site in South Wales and is showing the all-important red-rimmed spots very clearly. Pity there's a bit of wing damage but it's great to see this species is still present in Wales.
Bridgend, S.Wales - 19th July 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/1000s@f/8 ISO 640
Bridgend, S.Wales - 19th July 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/1000s@f/8 ISO 640
Mike

Return to “High Brown Fritillary”