Just really starting out with D-SLR

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Martin

Re: Just really starting out with D-SLR

Post by Martin »

Dave,
There has never been an image taken with a digital camera that didn't need post processing. See the improvement just a bit of sharpening can make?

Martin.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Martin,

Not one for avoiding a fight... while you've improved/popped the subject of the photo, the sharpening you've done has removed the smoothness from the background. I have RAW images that are tack sharp. In my purist world, we should always endeavour to get everything right in shot and hope that there is no processing required, post capture. Every time I edit a photo to improve it, I consider what I could have done at the time of taking the picture to avoid it. For me, this is a good mantra... it means I'm almost always disappointed with the photos I take, but it provides me the motivation I need to continue learning. There will come a time, hopefully, when it all comes together! IMO, the flexibility that digital photography provides should not lead to complacency...

Regards,

Chris
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
BRIAN

Post by BRIAN »

Hi Dave
Now got the same Canon dslr as you, up till christmas I was using the 350d, I tend to use a monopod when I can otherwise it's hand held, it's not often you get chance to set up a tripod.
On the subject of focusing ,change the red led metering aid to one led, when this flashes you will have focus lock, but do try manual focusing, because of the depth of filed rules I focus one third into the subject this should give reasonable depth of field at f11 or higher, also you may need to do some post processing to increase sharpnes of your images, one last thing you can also change the user settings in the camera menu, things like colour saturation, sharpness etc, you can tweak these in camera to give you a more dramatic picture
Last edited by BRIAN on Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Chris wrote: the sharpening you've done has removed the smoothness from the background.
Of course it has...it's made it sharper :D It's made the final image more like that seen in the first place. When taking that shot Dave didn't see an out of focus background, in striving for one we are not reproducing a true representation of what we saw...I'd say the sharper version was much more "real". :)

Martin.
Chris

Post by Chris »

touché!

Although if I'm being pedantic, you do actually see a blurred background at the time, you just perceive a sharp one until you focus on the background and have this confirmed. The lens of the eye is afterall no different from the lens of a camera, but the brain is VERY different from the processer... It has a memory that stacks the images in your perception! :wink:

Nice woodpecker, by the way, they always see me before I see them.
With Kind Regards

Chris
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Dave I hope you do not mind me altering your image slightly, but talking about post processing (which I'm all in favour of), why not try lightening the shadows a little
Attachments
smalltortmodified.jpg
smalltortmodified.jpg (180.19 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Ok thinking about where I went wrong, I, normally shoot handheld, and when I got close enough to subject, I was moving slightly and that moved camera and that moved out of focus a bit, got to start using tripod more, it would help in certian situations.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Chris

Post by Chris »

Dave McCormick wrote:Ok thinking about where I went wrong, I, normally shoot handheld, and when I got close enough to subject, I was moving slightly and that moved camera and that moved out of focus a bit, got to start using tripod more, it would help in certian situations.
I'm a big advocate for tripod use... but they're not for every situation. Try and learn which settings give the best results without a tripod, and learn which situations give the best results with a tripod.

regards, Chris
With Kind Regards

Chris
sidwemn

Post by sidwemn »

Dave,
When shooting at close range with a small dof, any movement when hand holding can be critical. I personally prefer to use a monopod when shooting butterflies. Sometimes when using a tripod, it can take a bit of time to get into the best position ready to shoot. I often get the legs caught in vegtation which can sometimes disturb the subject. A tripod also takes a little more time to adjust (3 legs v's 1) to get down low or stand up as required. With a monopod, getting in position to shoot is usually quicker. Once in position, I usually focus using the centre spot in auto and whilst holding the button rock the monopod slightly backwards or forwards until I'm satisfied with the focus before shooting. Monopods are also cheaper.

I normally use iso 200 or 400 with my canon 40D, and shoot in Av, trying to maximise the f stop without going any slower than 250th sec. I usually use a flash with a diffuser fitted as a filler, normally starting with a flash exposure compensation at -2/3rds and adjusting up/down as required. I shoot in RAW and almost always use some post processing, although I try to keep this to a minimum.

Everyone has there own methods. It's a case of finding what works for you.

Cheers
Martyn
Martin

Post by Martin »

sidwemn wrote:Everyone has there own methods. It's a case of finding what works for you.
Yep, and mine is exactly the same as yous except I use the camera in full Manual mode and manual focus too :)

Martin.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I've gone back to my trusty old monopod, I tried for the umpteenth time to use a tripod for macro work, but I find it such a chore. :cry:
So back to the monopod, infact new Manfrotto 695 magfiber monopod :D

Gruditch
Martin

Post by Martin »

The 695 Magfibre (http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDet ... d~158.html) looks great Gary, it would work very well with the monopod head I've just ordered, the 234 RC (http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDet ... ~4556.html)

Martin.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Martin -
I have the same head, and a very good bit of kit it is too!
I looked at the same Monopod as you, but decided that the amount of sections made it a tiny bit wobblier than my 679B, although the weight reduction would be welcome!
I have also ordered a ball and socket head for my tripod that takes the same QR plate.
I am trying (so far succesfully) to use a tripod for every shot this year.
Practice makes perfect, and I am now better at training the 'bagpipes' that make up a Benbo Trekker.
I may move up to the Benbo Mk 1 for a bit more stability, and just live with the extra weight.
So far I am noticing a huge difference in my pictures.
I used to pride myself on my handholding ability, but the extra sharpness from tripod use is VERY noticeable.
I am taking less pictures on a trip, probably less than half as many, but far more are "keepers".
For anyone thinking about using a tripod I would say - "Go for it!", persevere and practice - it will be worth it!
Roger
Cheers

Roger

Return to “Photography”