Finding Small Heath Pupae

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Crispin

Finding Small Heath Pupae

Post by Crispin »

Hello,
Does anyone have tips for finding Small Heath pupae?
I have never searched for the pupa and intend to do some preliminary research which will involve finding a few specimens.

Crispin Holloway
bugboy

Re: Finding Small Heath Pupae

Post by bugboy »

Hi Crispin, well you really know how give yourself a challenge! I don't know specifics but if I was going to try finding one I'd keep a close eye on the spring weather and go searching in mid April when, according to the literature, the first pupae are formed. The earlier the better I would hazard a guess before the grass gets too long. I'm sure they are quite specific as to exactly where they choose to pupate, probably somewhere that gets nice and warm but out of direct sun. Not sure what else to suggest but good luck. If you do find one it would be interesting to see a photo of its position in the environment though :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Crispin,

I don't have any direct experience myself, but would expect them to be formed deep within a grass tussock and pretty difficult to spot. There are some photos here:

http://www.pyrgus.de/Coenonympha_pamphilus_en.html

... but I'm not sure if they really show the pupa in context.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Thanks, this is really useful!

I hope to practice finding some next spring. I may also collect some eggs and rear them (have to hot up on my egg searching skills). But it is just before the pupa stage, in its natural environment which I am most interested in. So I may release the larva and monitor, could be tricky to keep track of them!
I shall go to my fathers and find his copy of Frohawk.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

If you want to find SH eggs, you need a location with plenty of adults flying around, and then watch carefully for any butterfly crawling in the grass, rather than just resting. If you're lucky, you will find one ovipositing. You need to keep a very sharp eye on the exact place, as the eggs are still difficult to locate when the grass is thick. Bon chance :D .

Tony M.

Return to “General”