Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

That last icarus male is positively gleaming. You're having a better end of season than anyone I know.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I think we are almost down to the last few sites in Sussex now, David.
What is unique about Shoreham and Tide Mills are the south facing embankments, right by the sea.
These locations offer Sun, shelter, relative warmth and remain frost free for longer.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello Trevor,
I'm just so amazed at your late sightings of icarus, and in good condition.
I had my last sighting of one down here in the South of France during the last week of October (4 + weeks ago :shock: ).
Chris.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Chris,
If anyone is interested there are more images from visitors to Shoreham at.....
Sussex BC, sightings page.

What an end to the season.
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

As the 2016 Butterfly season comes to an end, perhaps over the coming months it would
be good to keep ourselves entertained by posting any magic moments of 2016.
I know I have had a few.
Also everyone must have some favourite images from this year, let's see them !.

One of my favourite images was taken back in May, in Abbots Wood. I had been there
to see the Pearl Bordered Fritillary and was on my way back to the car, when I spotted
a Peacock nectaring on a Bluebell. Just to think that I almost didn't bother to photograph
this Butterfly because the grass was wet, and to get an image meant laying prostrate on the ground !.
But I think a pair of wet jeans and shirt was a small price to pay. It was only when I got home and
looked more carefully at the image that I realised that this Peacock was in pristine and unmarked
condition.
Attachments
Click on image to enlarge.
Click on image to enlarge.

trevor

Post by trevor »

The car went in for a service this morning. When I collected it the frost had just about gone,
and it was wall to wall Sunshine. So more in hope than expectation I made my way to Shoreham Harbour.
Unfortunately as I approached the Brighton area, a front was visible in the distance, grey cloud as far
as the eye could see.
On arrival the cloud had reached the Butterfly site, a good search revealed nothing. I did however
spot a hole in the cloud that would shortly be overhead, so I made my way to the area where most
fresh Common Blues have been seen recently, and waited.
Sure enough just after the Sun appeared I saw a flash of blue in the long grass, a pristine male !.
The Butterfly basked while the Sun shone, then flew several times, and finally closed up once the cloud
returned, and that was it, game over. Back at the car the temperature read 8c.

I came home very pleased to have seen this species, as this may turn out to be my final Butterfly of 2016.
I did use the word ' may ' carefully .
Attachments
P1290902.JPG
P1290903.JPG
P1290904.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Amazing sighting, well done for checking!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Quite extraordinary, Trevor. :) You have to feel sorry for the poor little thing - how they survive the cold nights at the moment, even down on the coast, is beyond me. I really don't expect to see any more Holly Blues round here now, despite their resilience...

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Katrina and Dave,

With the very low temperature today I realised that finding anything at all was a long shot.
I agree Dave. The Common Blues that have emerged recently are in for a pretty miserable existence,
cold, windy with rain and little chance of finding a mate.
All this on a day when snow is forecast for parts of the Country.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That first Common Blue shot is an absolute cracker Trevor :D :mrgreen: The Favourites are on week five this week so around February we'll get to the overall favourite :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel,

Today's Common Blue will always be one of my favourites, if only because it was taken on Nov. 8th !.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Amazing Trev! I just wish I lived a bit nearer!

trevor

Post by trevor »

A near perfect weather forecast ( for the time of year ) ie. sunshine and 11c,
was much better than that of Tuesday. So it was another trip to Shoreham Harbour.
I found a male Common Blue straight away, very near to the one on Tuesday.
I have a suspicion that it may be the same specimen. No other Butterflies were found.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1290968.JPG
P1290966.JPG
P1290965.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lucky you Trevor, the Butterflies are lovely and so late too. Much too cold here now, we've not seen any thing here for a while and we just missed the Snow which landed in the next town to us with a good covering, time yet though. Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I travelled over to Tide Mills to see if any Clouded Yellows were still in residence.
Not a single Butterfly was found, despite almost perfect weather.
Little did I know that within 10 minutes of thinking it's time to give up, I would take one of my
most satisfying images of all time.
Walking back to the car, I saw from a distance, a Bird perched on the extreme tip of bare tree.
I aimed my camera, on full zoom, and took a distant shot. Taking a look on play back I could see
it was a Bird of prey. Such was the distance between me and the Bird it was necessary to get closer.
I could make out a route to the tree which would cause little disturbance. As I gently approached,
taking ever closer shots, I eventually got very close indeed and managed six close up shots before
the Bird had had enough of my intrusion and flew.
Whilst the Bird was perched, I was convinced it was a Kestrel, but when it flew it looked larger.
I still think it's a Kestrel, if you know different please let me know.
What a privilege to get so close for a lifetime first encounter with a Bird of prey.
Attachments
P1300007.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Very nice picture Trevor. It is indeed a Kestrel, probably a juvenile from this year. Maybe, like Sid the Shrike, its yet to learn to fear humans.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Pretty decent compensation for the lack of butterflies, Trevor. It's not often you can get close to a raptor like that.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Buggy and David, and for the positive ID.
Usually Kestrels are only seen hovering at some height. When this Bird took flight
it looked larger than I would have expected, and thus setting the seeds of doubt.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shot of the Kestrel Trevor, I bet you were pleased :D I'd another Wood Pigeon taken from the garden last week by a Sparrow Hawk, no Magpies chased this one off this time like last time, I love to see the birds of prey but I don't like to see them kill other birds :( Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of Kes Trevor :D Birds do have an annoying habit of 'changing size' depending on the light and also their gender (females are generally larger) :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”