Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

Week five time to showcase your favourite shots of 2016! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by bugboy »

This was a virtual rarity in most of my local haunts this year! However on my northern escapade to Arnside I found them by the bucket load. I had a great few days searching for and ticking off a couple of lifers so here's three pics that bring back memories from a few months back, all abs :)

A female with an enlarged forewing ocelli, She did open her wings occasionally and looked spectacular but never allowed an upperside shot!
Gatekeeper female enlarged ocelli ab., Arnside Knott #1.JPG
This male had much reduced orange colouration and in the field looked like a small female Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper male dark ab., Arnside Knott #1.JPG
And finally one of many Ab Excessa's, so numerous in fact that one would hesitate to refer to them as aberrations in this part of the world!
Gatekeeper male ab. Excessa, Arnside Knott #9.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We saw our Gate Keepers this year at Hall-Lee-Brook on the 26th July and the 4th/5th of August the weather was wet at times and cloudy and the Gate Keepers seemed to age quickly and didn't seem to last very long. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4da2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4da0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4d91.jpeg
celery

Post by celery »

Shady underside from a visit to Bedford Purlieus (mainly to see Silver-washed Frits) in late July.
Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) (3).jpg
Couple 'doin' it' at dusk in an agricultural field boundary near Screveton in Notts. Butterfly Kama Sutra position no. 24: the Hanging Dangle :D
Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) (2).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
millerd

Post by millerd »

Poor July weather coincided with the Gatekeeper season and they had a poor showing near me. My favourite shot (a bright new female) was actually taken up at Allerthorpe near Pocklington in Yorkshire on 23rd.
GK3 230716.JPG
A close second was this fresh male from my local patch on 10th, which had reduced forewing spots.
GK1 100716.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A male and a female,Gatekeeper , from Bourne wood ,Hamstreet Kent,although down in numbers this year,i did manage to see more variation
than usual,and found ABS; Excessa, Post Excessa,and others with spots (hind and fore wings) much reduced or missing.

Regards Allan.W
P1050564.JPG
P1050454.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another species that did not seem to have a very good season around my patch although numbers did increase later in their flight period. There were plenty flying at Arnside Knot when I visited in early August where many of them, especially males, where noticeably smaller than those I see locally.

A male from Ryton Wood,
Gatekeeper male - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
Gatekeeper male - Ryton Wood 20.07.2016
A large female who's size doesn't really come across in the photo from my local spot at Shadowbrook Meadows,
Gatekeeper female - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
Gatekeeper female - Shadowbrook 30.07.2016
and a slightly worn but nicely marked male ab. excessa from my garden,
Gatekeeper male ab. excessa - Coverdale 26.07.2016
Gatekeeper male ab. excessa - Coverdale 26.07.2016
Cheers,

Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Grim season for this species in south Wales too. They were practically over before they began. This female at Whiteford Burrows, Gower on 30th July is one of only a handful of images I got:
1HedgeBrfemale(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hedge Brown

This was taken during one of my bi-annual trips to visit my Outlaws in Wales. Hedgies were a bit thin on the ground back home but not so here (Ffos-y-ffin) when a five minute wander up the Lane or down to the Post Box threw up all manner of Hedgies with spots ranging from 2 to 7 on the underside, all kinds of wear and tear and ‘excessa’ more often than not. This was my favourite of all of them because she was so fresh and beautiful and wonderfully marked.
DSC_6488 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

My photo is from Aston Rowant NNR. I found that a great many butterflies were carrying red mite parasites this year.
Aston Rowant NNR - 5th August 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/200s@f/14 ISO 800
Aston Rowant NNR - 5th August 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/200s@f/14 ISO 800
Mike

Return to “Gatekeeper”