Angled screens

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Jack Harrison

Angled screens

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have always loved the angled screens on the Canons I have owned. I have an arthritic spine and bending down is sometimes difficult. These angled viewers enable me to operate the camera very close to the ground with ease (apart from the inevitable faint screen).

Very few manufactures (Canon, Panasonic for example) offer angled screens and that rather limits my choice of camera. I will be getting a new camera around the beginning of next year but not a DSLR even though I am fully aware that in the right hands, they produce superior results. A DSLR is not an option for me

In theory, a prismatic attachment to a fixed viewer should work so I can for example look down at 45 degrees when the camera is held low. Does anyone have any experience of using prisms in this or similar manner. And indeed, where might I get hold of one? Perhaps "dissection" of old binoculars might be a profitable exercise.

Jack
eccles

Re: Angled screens

Post by eccles »

The new Sony A350 is a DSLR with a tiltable screen that you can use to compose your picture (Live-View). You can get angle finders for them as well.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That camera looks good. I'll put it in the back of my mind although I find my Canon S3 as bulky as I really would want to use (I think you too Eccles used to have an S3). That Sony is no doubt even bigger.

However, that still doesn't answer the query about lens/prism devices to turn a fixed screen through say 90 degrees (fully variable even better)

Jack
eccles

Post by eccles »

That Sony is no doubt even bigger.
:lol: It's amazing what you get used to. After 6 months with the Sony A100, I found the S3 to be too small. I couldn't go back to it now I've been spoilt by nice bright viewfinders that you can actually use to focus with, so I've sold it.
However, that still doesn't answer the query about lens/prism devices to turn a fixed screen through say 90 degrees (fully variable even better)
Well, it does, insofar as you have to get a camera that will take a right angle finder, but I cannot think of a way to turn a fixed compact camera screen into a tiltable one. I would imagine it would be dark and difficult to see anyway.

If you're looking for a better camera than your S3 but the S3 is as heavy/bulky as you can tolerate then I don't think you'll have much luck. Fuji's new S100fs looks pretty good. It has image stabilisation, tiltable screen, 14x zoom 11 MP 2/3" sensor. It's bigger and heavier than your Canon by a long way but Fuji cameras have been very good with nice bright screens in the past so it's worth a look.

If you have photoshop then you might consider installing the raw hack for your S3. It gives a useful increase in controllability and a slight increase in resolution. You can just about kill all red green chromatic aberration, which the S3 can suffer from at maximum zoom, and clean up noise effectively as well. Some of my best results from that camera were from shooting raw.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Google "Zigview" an excellent device which gives an angled screen to a DSLR. I bought one but don't use it much, although now my knees are going I'm glad I have it ;-)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just looked up "Zigview". I could employ a caddy for that price :D

Back to Eccles. I have PhotoShop and have heard about Raw hack for the S3 but been unable to find the appropriate software. Any advice on this?

You are right about the poor screen on the S3. I have missed many shots simply because I couldn't see the target in the screen. The eye level viewfinder is often easier.

Thanks,

Jack
eccles

Post by eccles »

@Jack, sorry I missed your request for info.
Check out these links for all the info you need:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=305198

You will also need this, which converts the S3 raw file into DNG format which Photoshop can read:
http://www.zshare.net/download/15980803526d8c/

Hope that helps.
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

I'll put a word in for the humble Angle Finder. Presupposes an SLR but I find it invaluable for getting those essential ground shots and use it all the time

Not my greatest shot ever but does make the point! :D
Attachments
_MG_1296Sm.jpg
_MG_1296Sm.jpg (56.46 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Markulous. What DSLR are you using with the angled screen?

Thanks Eccles. I'll look that up but only just back home from three very successful days butterflying so plenty of other things to do first.

Jack
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

jackharr wrote:Markulous. What DSLR are you using with the angled screen?
I use a Sigma SD10 and Canon 350D, Jack - but it's an Angle Finder not a screen (angled viewfinder that clips to eyepiece - use one that fits both cameras, Seagull)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Markulous

Post by Markulous »

Nice one, Martin! And a good little write-up with which I thoroughly agree - probably my most useful and most used gadget
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
Canon do a really useful angle-finder.
In the photo you can see the switch on the side that allows you to have either 1.5x magnification (very nice as you can still see all the exposure information), or 2.5x magnification. The 2.5 is really good for critical manual focussing of static stuff.
The eyepeice also rotates through 360 degrees in 45 degree click stops so yu can view from the sid, or even underneath.
I have had mine for years, but maybe use it just half a dozen times a year. But when I do it is often the ONLY way to get the shot.
HTH
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That's all good info but not quite what I really want. An angled viewer (as opposed to angled screen) still means bending down and peering through a viewfinder. With my arthritic back (it's called Ankylosing spondylitis) I just can't get down low very easily and need the convenience of being able to operate at arms' length, as I can do with Canons and vari-angle screens. I have experimented with a mirror to view an LCD from an angle but that of course reverses the image. A prismatic device attached to a fixed screen would in theory be possible but seeminlgy not available.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
It seems that the Zigview meets your needs, but, as you rightly say, it is bl**dy expensive.
Also, the Olympus DSLRs have live view, and at least one has a hinged screen IIRC.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_12806.htm
Both the Sigma 105 and 150mm Macro lenses are available in OM mounst, giving equivalent to 210 and 300mm on 35mm.
Good luck with your search.
Roger
Cheers

Roger

Return to “Photography”