essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Dave. It was a great trip down there,and I would recommend it to anyone. Being lucky with the weather helps a bit, too! :)

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Late morning, we went to the bakers to pick up pasties and Cornish Saffron cake to take home to family, before taking a couple of pasties to Madron Carn for lunch. Normally hill topping nymphalids are here but there was just one Red Admiral and a Small Copper. But eating lunch in such great Cornish surroundings is one of my greatest pleasures.
Attachments
P1570283.JPG
P1570288.JPG
P1570289.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Long term road improvements are taking place on the A30 Bodmin Moor. So to avoid the queues, we took the A39 and stopped at Rough Tor Bodmin Moor, mid afternoon. A good couple of hours stretch sourrounded by beautiful scenery and animals, including Bodmin Moor ponies, then, after admiring the Ravens it was time to continue the long journey back to Essex.
Attachments
P1570292.JPG
P1570319.JPG
P1570332.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Recently,at work,I had to trim some ivy which was getting overgrown. Aware,however,that Holly Blues were flying around it back in August,I carefully searched the developing flower buds,making sure I avoided these. Sure enough,I found several Holly Blue caterpillars, in various stages of growth,some still quite small. Thankfully,work were sympathetic,and I won't be trimming the rest of the ivy for a while!
Attachments
P1570483.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

I think you are right Mark. The small, dark spot half way up the upperside of the hind wings
make this Common Blue identifiable as the same one.
Very pleased that you had a fruitful visit to Shoreham.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great landscape shots Essex :D That pasty looked great - is it true that proper Cornish Pasties shouldn't have carrots in them? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:Recently,at work,I had to trim some ivy which was getting overgrown. Aware,however,that Holly Blues were flying around it back in August,I carefully searched the developing flower buds,making sure I avoided these. Sure enough,I found several Holly Blue caterpillars, in various stages of growth,some still quite small. Thankfully,work were sympathetic,and I won't be trimming the rest of the ivy for a while!
Good stuff, Mark. I dread to think how many butterflies are denied living out their cycle in the name of tidiness. You did well to capture the larva on camera. I've often looked on ivy for these but have yet to find one.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

essexbuzzard wrote:Recently,at work,I had to trim some ivy which was getting overgrown. Aware,however,that Holly Blues were flying around it back in August,I carefully searched the developing flower buds,making sure I avoided these. Sure enough,I found several Holly Blue caterpillars, in various stages of growth,some still quite small. Thankfully,work were sympathetic,and I won't be trimming the rest of the ivy for a while!
Well done Mark :D . I have found and photographed Holly Blue caterpillars on the Ivy in my garden a couple of times but they are remarkably well camouflaged in real life and easy to overlook. It is usually just the tell tale little holes in the flower buds that give them away.

Cheers,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Many thanks to you all,for all your comments.

Yes Wurzel,it's true. No self respecting Cornishman would put carrots in a pasty! In Devon,on the other hand... :lol:

Thanks David,and I agree. Not just in gardens,either. Just imaging how many thousands,if not millions,of Orange Tip eggs and caterpillars are killed when the road and path verges are shredded to the ground in early summer? :evil:

As I said, Trevor,thanks for your postings about Shoreham. Without them,I would never have had the pleasure of visiting,and seeing those lovely late butterflies! :D

Thanks to you too,Neil. I'm just glad they let me,rather than someone else,cut the ivy, giving me the opportunity to check the flowers. :)

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Back in October,I visited Canvey Wick. This brownfield site was going to e developed for oil storage tanks,but it never happened and is now a nature reserve. Recently featured on the BBCs The One Show,it is renowned for several BAP species,including the shrill carder bee,and it the most reliable site in Essex for Walls. My visit on the 6th coincided with a partial third emergence,and three were seen. Other sightings included a very nice female Common Blue.
Attachments
P1570424.JPG
P1570417.JPG
P1570406.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the confirmation Essex - I've been in many an argument over 'to add carrots or not' (I was always in the 'not' camp) :D Great Wall shots, especially the closed wing view, the detail they show is fabulous :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I hope you will post your images from Shoreham, Although Butterfly numbers are on
the decline there, every visit seems to produce something new,including some amazing,
late Common Blues.

All the best,
Trevor.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sunday 30 October.

After some amazing late sightings recently,today we visited Shoreham harbour. A couple of hours warm weak sunshine produced a splendid six,at least, Clouded Yellows,including two fresh males, 4 Common Blues,including a fresh male,a quite fresh Small White and a Red Admiral flying purposefully south overhead. A splendid success for the end of October, as the last hours of warm weather vanish.

Thanks to Trevor for his postings and images, and to Vince for adding a grid reference,without this I probably would not have made the journey down from Essex. Thanks guys!

Pictures to follow...

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Pictures from 30 October,
Attachments
P1570649.JPG
P1570669.JPG
P1570637.JPG
P1570656.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of photos Essex - worth waiting the extra night for :D That female blue is really blue :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a pretty good selection from Shoreham, Mark.
Your ' blue ' female Common Blue looks familiar.
I am very pleased that your long(ish) journey was worthwhile.
A brilliant season's end. :D

All the best,
Trevor.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks guys. Yes Trevor, it was certainly worth the effort!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It was a glorious day in East Anglia today,with 8 hours sunshine! On the flowering ivy at work, a brilliant November Red Admiral was feeding :D
Attachments
P1580013.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shot essex, some people have all the luck and the Sunshine too :mrgreen: Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

CATCHING UP

After several dry months, November was slightly wetter than average. But there were also several clear, sunny days which rank alongside any that June had to offer this year,and on one of these, we visited nearby Epping Forest. It was a good year for autumn colours this year,perhaps helped by the weather, and by mid month,they were at their peak.
Attachments
P1570632.JPG
P1580056.JPG
P1580091.JPG
P1580103.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”