Uploading photos

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
John W

Uploading photos

Post by John W »

Hi,

Can someone give me advice on how to upload photos to this site in a way that maintains their sharpness? Whenever I upload a photo it always seems to come out a bit fuzzy, even if the original is pin sharp. Would it help if I crop to a small size (e.g. 800x600) and give it some extra sharpening before uploading? The loss of quality on uploading seems to be more noticeable than Facebook, where I just drag-and-drop the original image onto the Facebook page and it comes out reasonably sharp.

Thanks for any tips,
John
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Uploading photos

Post by Padfield »

When you upload a picture the full resolution is retained but it will be shown at lower resolution in the thread. Clicking on the picture in the thread will open the full resolution image.

That said, I think 800 x 600 is ample. I very rarely find it helpul to see larger images than this on the screen, unless there is some particular point (for ID, for example) that needs bringing out. Well cropped and resized to 800 max dimension makes for good viewing I find.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Re: Uploading photos

Post by MikeOxon »

Like Guy Padfield, I usually re-size to 800x600 for this site. A little extra sharpening is often useful when reducing a large image to this size (with Photoshop Elements, I use unsharp mask settings of about 0.7 px, 125%, and 7 levels). The thumbnail image that is displayed initially must be 'clicked' to show the full-size image. I sometimes remind viewers to do this, if they want to see all the details.

Mike

Return to “General”