Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Katrina »

Hi Buggy, lovely to see you today. Glad you saw a helice and thanks for the plant ids. :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I second that Bugboy and I've never seen one yet so well done :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks everyone, despite the lack of LTB's it was still a good day :)

21st September, Newhaven Tide Mills

Yes, I was there again today! A glorious sunny, warm early autumn day welcomed me to another LTB hunt. The wind was coming from a more southerly direction today so perhaps a few more would have been tempted across the channel…

Like Sunday, Small Whites were everywhere, a mating pair attracting my attention but were rather camera shy and a Speckled Wood gave me a nice autumnal pose.
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
There were some new Common Blues on the block today, looking only hours’ old and in the absence of anything with a tail I spent some time with them.
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
A couple of female Coppers also turned up, both looking for Sorrel, so didn’t really settle for me but a Migrant Hawker dragonfly (possibly the same one Trevor saw on Sunday) posed perfectly.
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
I also had Comma, Peacock and Cloudie flyby’s but yet again no LTB were located.

On the other hand, I did have a rather exciting birdie encounter. What I at first glance I took for a rather plump looking Warbler turned out to be a juvenile Red-backed Shrike. It turned up not long after I’d arrived, hanging around a patch of Everlasting Pea, and after getting a few distant shots I found that it was quite bold and I was able to get to within 10 feet of it. For the Non-birders, Red-Backed Shrikes are all but extinct in the UK as a breeding bird and are now only found on the east and south coasts on their spring and Autumn migrations from and to Africa. This particular bird is my first Shrike of any species I’ve ever seen.

Over the course of a few hours it didn’t go far and was easy to relocate when I wandered off and came back.
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG
By 2 I decided to call it a day, wanting to avoid the rush hour, but just as I was leaving I bumped into B’rex and Badgerbob who were both rather excited when I mentioned the Shrike. Again it wasn’t too difficult to locate and behaved impeccably for its two newest fans. I’ve no experience with Shrikes so I didn’t know whether this individual’s boldness was normal for the species but the big grins of disbelief on James and Bobs faces told me it was ridiculously tame. All three of us watched as it pretty much ignored us and continued hunting, skilfully catching bees in mid-air or plucking them from flowers. After a quick call Bobs son arrived to join the Shrikes growing fan club and kindly lent me his lens so I could finish my day with some nice close shots.
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
An hour later than planned I finally left, hoping and praying that no LTB’s turned up in my absence…

Some addictions are good for the soul!
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Paul. That was a heck of a find. I was still there at 5pm filling my boots with pictures of this fabulous bird. Glad Matt turned up and was able to let you use his lens. It was too good a chance to let go. Needless to say the LTBs were keeping their heads down with this bird around!!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

badgerbob wrote:Hi Paul. That was a heck of a find. I was still there at 5pm filling my boots with pictures of this fabulous bird. Glad Matt turned up and was able to let you use his lens. It was too good a chance to let go. Needless to say the LTBs were keeping their heads down with this bird around!!
Ha I was struggling through the living hell that is the London rush hour by then! Yes huge thanks to your Matt. Great to catch up with you again and glad you had a good few hours with that gorgeous bird :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Bugboy
Love your superb recent Clouded Yellow shots, especially that helice :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks jack432r, I've had a bit of luck with Cloudies this year :)

23rd September, Walthamstow Marshes

I quick browse of my (rather neglected this year) local patch after work today only turned up one solitary butterfly. I didn't have long with the sun vanishing behind buildings and trees but he was worthy of 10 minutes of my time :)
IMG_0022.JPG
I happened to notice the other day on the UKBMS that there is a active transect at Walthamstow Marshes. If the person who's doing this transect is reading this I'd love to hear what's been seen to see how close it matches up to my casual browsing :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

You've had an interesting week, Buggy! That Shrike seems to be the bird equivalent of an LTB at the very least... :) That's a nice Painted Lady, too.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The RBS is a great bird to find Bugboy I haven't seen one for a number of years now :mrgreen: Hopefully the LTBs will put in more of a show later this year and of not definitely next :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Bird shots Buggy, you've certainly seen some great things this year , its been interesting reading your posts and seeing your photos :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Lots of excitement on your diary lately, Bugboy. I think you're having a better autumn than most!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, yes I've been having an eventful few weeks of late.

I took my camera into work today and took a few snaps during one of my transects. Small Whites and Speckled Woods are pretty much the mainstay here at this time of year, with just the occasional Vanessid flyby, (a Small Tortoiseshell nearly took my head off today!)

Speckled Wood numbers have really picked up in the latter half of the season here to become the most numerous butterfly recorded by quite some margin!
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

28th September, Bookham Commons

I’ve not been here for a little while, what with failed LTB hunts and rare birds to find for the Sussex twitchers, so I was eager to see what life I could find here. Small Coppers was what I found, by the bucket load!

The forecast had predicted cloudy with sunny spells leading to wall to wall blue sky by lunchtime. I got there at 9 under mostly blue sky which by lunchtime had clouded over leading to wall to wall cloud in the afternoon… :roll:
I had a Red Admiral flyby, heading south to start with followed quickly by the first, second, third and fourth Coppers for the day, all feeding on a large patch of Fleabane that still had enough flowers to keep them occupied.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
Meandering along the open scrubby areas Coppers kept appearing, the females in general looking much fresher than the males. I suspect these two males with sparse spotting, trying to occupy the same territory, had the same mother!
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
I found a particularly fresh female, probably only hours old, who gave me the slip when a female Migrant Hawker caught my eye.
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
After a couple of minutes with the Dragonfly I turned and disturbed a mating pair of coppers (the first time I’ve ever seen Coppers in cop :shock: ), and close inspection revealed a male Copper had snuck in whilst my back was turned and taken the same female I was admiring just 5 minutes previously!
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
On my last visit here I found a batch of second brood Peacock cats and it was quite easy to find the remains of said batch. They were all in pre-moult mode in their penultimate instar and the evidence suggests they successfully made it through.
IMG_0125.JPG
Into the woods there was little going on, a few Red Admirals at polar ends of wear and tear and the occasional Speckled Wood fluttered by.
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
I kept my eye’s peeled for White Admirals since a few second brood adults have been seen this year and also checked any Honeysuckle I could reach but I found no evidence of second brood here.

Back into the open the Coppers still ruled the roost, some fresh individuals looking absolutely stunning in the overcast light.
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
A third Red Admiral was found and out of the corner of my eye a larger patch of orange was decorating a Bramble thicket, I’d hoped I’d come across some Comma’s today, as it turned out this was to be the one and only.
IMG_0335.JPG
Making my way back to the train station the Copper count continued to rise, with individuals still in varying states of wear, eventually ending up somewhere between 30 and 40, easily doubling this year’s tally and probably the most I’ve ever seen in one day!
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
I had one last surprise shortly before leaving for home. A slightly larger orange and brown butterfly appeared and proceeded to taunt me for a couple of minutes, occasionally landing for a couple of seconds, once threatening to land on me before deciding the perfect place to sit was halfway up a Blackthorn bush. I wasn’t expecting to find a Brown Hairstreak this close to October and she looked to be in remarkably good condition all things considered.
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG
A thoroughly good day, now I know what Hoggers feels like when he's out :D

One last thing, if any birders are able to ID this flock of Geese that flew over I'd be very grateful, I'm not to good on my geese and I don't know if there's enough detail in my picture :?
IMG_0063.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're definitely giving Hoggers a run for his money Bugboy :wink: Great Copper shots and a Brostreak as well :mrgreen: The geese are difficult but judging by the time of year I'd go for Greylags :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

You might, and should be interested in the attached Paul!!

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=5943

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Paul.
bugboy wrote:One last thing, if any birders are able to ID this flock of Geese that flew over I'd be very grateful, I'm not to good on my geese and I don't know if there's enough detail in my picture?
Wurzel wrote:The geese are difficult but judging by the time of year I'd go for Greylags.
I agree with Richard. I think there's just enough detail in the image including, as Wurzel says, the time of year, to make this a skein of Greylag Geese.

Nice work with the Shrike ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Great Coppers, Buggy! I especially like the one perched on a blade of grass- lovely photo.

It's interesting how after a very quiet ( or non-existent ) start to the Copper season for many, the Coppers have surged forward!

Best wishes

Hoggers

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi Paul.
bugboy wrote:One last thing, if any birders are able to ID this flock of Geese that flew over I'd be very grateful, I'm not to good on my geese and I don't know if there's enough detail in my picture?
Wurzel wrote:The geese are difficult but judging by the time of year I'd go for Greylags.
I agree with Richard. I think there's just enough detail in the image including, as Wurzel says, the time of year, to make this a skein of Greylag Geese.

Nice work with the Shrike ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
Thanks both, I did have them down tentatively as Greylags but wasn't 100% sure.

Ps. I see you've been down to see the Shrike too Mark, nice pictures :)
badgerbob wrote:You might, and should be interested in the attached Paul!!

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=5943
Hahaha, that's brilliant. Good to know so many people are enjoy Sid the Shrike, yes I've named it now :lol:
Hoggers wrote:Great Coppers, Buggy! I especially like the one perched on a blade of grass- lovely photo.

It's interesting how after a very quiet ( or non-existent ) start to the Copper season for many, the Coppers have surged forward!

Best wishes

Hoggers
Thanks Hoggers, yes it's great to see how their population has exploded these past few months after the best part of two years in the doldrums :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I wish your luck rubbed out on me Bugboy , :) a Brown Hair Streak , :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've yet to see one :(
Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Paul,
Very much enjoyed ' your Bird ' yesterday. The surprise being it's continued presence at Tide Mills.
I fear for the Bee population there, I saw it consume three Bumble Bees. Someone else said it had
also caught a Lizard. It does seem to enjoy posing for the photographers.

Well found, I am sure your discovery has given pleasure to many people.

All the best,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”