Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers, Allan - I could watch Small Coppers all day long and never get bored!

With such a good weather forecast, James, I prescribe you a visit to Dungeness!

All the best

Hoggers.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic copper's again Hogger's and very interesting too, the females seem to take no stick from the males once they've mated that seems to be the way most of the females react in the species I've seen so far, I particularly like the way the Speckled Wood Female plays dead :lol: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Hoggers,
Just re-read my reply to you,bit of gobledegook on my behalf,i said I saw 5 Coppers at Brookland (and one in the pub garden ) which we did,and then saw 2 at Brookland !
what I meant to say,was 2 (MIN) Clouded Yellows ! silly ole .......... Nipped out this late afternoon,and headed to another site In Orlestone ,but no go ,much too overgrown,passed another
site i.d earmarked but that was in full shade + it too looked too overgrown ,so ended up at yesterdays spot,the Radiata was still present,in fact it was the only one I saw,until I was actually leaving,and I found another very fresh male,i will try to add some posts as and when I re-visit the sites. regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

It was gloriously warm and sunny at Dungeness. I took my usual walk, accompanied today by my brother. We both felt that the 2016 Small Copper season has moved into its Autumnal stage
IMG_3116.JPG
Most were tired-looking third brood Coppers with just a few from the fourth brood as yet
IMG_3084.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG
Hopefully the number of fresh Coppers will increase soon
IMG_3139.JPG
It was one of those sleepy kind of days when there seemed to be very little in the way of interaction between the Coppers
IMG_3022.JPG
They all seemed preoccupied with locating any of the increasingly scarce nectar sources and feeding
IMG_3027.JPG
I admired this 7-spotted female
IMG_3129.JPG
And it was fun to watch others enjoying the sunshine
IMG_3141.JPG
As we walked back to the car we were stopped by two heavily armed Police Officers, both in their manner were very pleasant indeed, but both nonetheless professionally inquisitive as to what we were doing. (I visit Dungeness frequently and often seen police officers on anti-terrorist duties.) They looked like a couple of 25 year olds, but there they were carrying automatic weapons.

"Morning guys" one said, "Lovely day"
I agreed that it was.
"What is it that you're taking such an interest in?" the other asked.
"Don't take this the wrong way" I said " but I'm interested in Small Coppers". They both laughed and I explained what I meant by pointing to a flower with a Small Copper on it
One of the officers was very impressed : "Happy Days!" he said as he looked at the butterfly
IMG_3137.JPG
I must say it was most strange to see a heavily armed police officer, dressed in an intimidating black combat uniform, on duty, bending down to watch a Small Copper. He was immediately transformed from on first appearances ,a rather unsettling and scary robot, in to a smiling and entranced human being
IMG_3162.JPG
My Copper count for last thursday was 63 but today only 35
IMG_3148.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:
"What is it that you're taking such an interest in?" the other asked.
"Don't take this the wrong way" I said " but I'm interested in Small Coppers"
:D

Priceless!

Good for you, Hoggers, that you happened upon a 'copper' with a sense of humour!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers David : both "coppers" were perfectly amiable, so I've no complaints, but I do hope they're presence at Dungeness does not become intrusive ( and I just cannot adjust to seeing live firearms - I find the sight repugnant )

Anyway, on a much lighter note, I returned to Dungeness today to make the most of this wonderful September sunshine
IMG_3247.JPG
Of the 43 Small Coppers that I came across most were bashed and dented but nonetheless still a respectable few in presentable condition
IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG
I watched a male perform the Stalk Dance and another try his luck with a female
IMG_3260.JPG
I saw a Red Admiral, two Painted Ladies, a Large White, several Small Heaths, Common Blues and this Brown Argus
IMG_3266.JPG
Although the Small Coppers are petering out , Dungeness can still produce the occasional surprise
IMG_3365.JPG
A gorgeous male radiata
IMG_3338.JPG
He had clearly established a definite territory for himself
IMG_3375.JPG
Doubtless taking advantage of near-by sources of nectar
IMG_3297.JPG
I was able to introduce the reserve warden,David Walker, to this little jewel so if anyone needs help in finding the radiata they just need to ask David
IMG_3354.JPG
Happy September Days!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Hoggers,
Good to see the Dungeness Coppers still doing well. I accidently stumbled upon a large colony
at Windover hill, up on the South Downs, whilst looking for Wall Browns this week.
I was aware that this site had Small Coppers, but to see so many was amazing.

Make the most of them, we've a long period of enforced idleness on the way !.
Trevor.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Nice one Hoggers !! how manys that now ? I,d say that one is close to "Oblitera " found an absolutely tiny individual near Littlestone ,with a wingspan
no more than 12-15mm,very unusual ,and a Wall Brown in Orlestone,my 1st since 97. Regards Allan.W.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Sorry Hoggers !, I meant to say AB;Obseleta. (not Oblitera.) Regards Allan.W.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's great your still seeing Copper's, I've not seen any since I saw that one before I left to go on holiday to Kent in August, Still seeing a few Butterflies in my garden though. Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Yet another unusual specimen, Hoggers. It sometimes seems that they outnumber the normal ones.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

With all of these lovely aberrant Small Coppers you're finding surely it must only be a matter of time before you find yourself an ab.schmidtii Hoggers. They are quite fabulous and an ab I would really love to see... perhaps one day. Until then I shall just have to be content with asking Neil Hulme about the time he saw one.

This is probably the bit where you tell me that you've already seen one (or more) if so please forgive me but I don't remember seeing it in your diary.

Best Wishes

James

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi guys, thanks for your generous comments, much appreciated.

Looking at this website and all of the diaries it seems that there's been a sudden surge in Coppers - I'ts good to hear that so many are now being seen.

Alas, James, I've never had the pleasure of seeing a schmidtii, The Holy Grail of the Coppers!

Maybe one day...!

All the best

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

My car dashboard indicated a temperature of 13.5C when I arrived at Dungeness this morning and a lively breeze made it feel that much chillier. But I've been a'Coppering in far less promising conditions and as the morning went on we enjoyed some prolonged sunny spells (it was 19.5C when I left for home)

And anyway,it doesn't take much to get the Coppers going
IMG_3420.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG
Just a bit of sunshine will do the trick
IMG_3459.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG
Although they are now rather thin on the ground
IMG_3490.JPG
I counted only 9 today
IMG_3540.JPG
And you can judge their condition from the photos
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
But although we are now approaching the end of the season it is always a delight to see a Small Copper no matter what its condition
IMG_3555.JPG
And there are still useful observations to be made. I chanced upon two males and when they had a set-to I took some snaps
IMG_3504.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG
Probably the last duelling Coppers I'll see this year!
IMG_3506.JPG
But what interested me is what happened when they landed. You can see the paler of the two deliberately crowding the brighter male
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3512.JPG
He wasn't attempting to mate with the brighter male but he was definitely pushing forward and getting into the other's "personal space"
IMG_3516.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
This is something I've watched before. It's as if the one male is goading the other into taking flight and resuming the duel. But what interested me was the reaction of the other male : he refused to fly and instead he would give the briefest of flutter of his forewings, just a quick shimmy, then walk away from his provoker. It reminded me of the way female Coppers will reject unwanted males |(but in the male the behaviour is not nearly so well pronounced).

I think the wing flutter signals "Leave me alone" in Copper semaphore.

Talking of Copper Semaphore: Antennae Down!
IMG_3525.JPG
I wonder what that means? !

It was good to spend some time at the end of the season with the Coppers of Dungeness
IMG_3532.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I made the first of my 2017 Small Copper Hunts today at Dungeness and found this beauty
IMG_3570.JPG
Just the one
IMG_3567.JPG
But if the weather forecast for the coming weekend holds true many more will join her

Also two Holly Blues, a Brimstone and a Speckled Wood in my garden.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Nice one Hoggers!! (welcome back) See you on the shingle !! Regards Allan.W.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice one Hoggers - surely that's the first for 2017? :D :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great to see what I'm sure will be the first of many lovely Coppers. :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good to see you back Hoggers :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Great! Hoggers is back...and that can mean only one thing:

Small Coppers are about again. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”