French fritillaries and blues

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Part timer

French fritillaries and blues

Post by Part timer »

Hi all

I took all the attached photos on 16th September in the Monts de L'Espinouse area of the Haut Languedoc in southern France. I'm not 100% sure of the identification of any of them, so I'd welcome other views.

I think the first is Weaver's Fritillary, but the underside photo is pretty poor. The second I believe to be either Idas or Silver-studded Blue, although a bit late in the season for either. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the upper side but I did get a decent view of it and the black border was narrower than I've seen on a number of previous Silver-studded sightings, so I am tending towards Idas, but I don't know whether they can safely be distinguished from the underside.

I am going for Knapweed Fritillary for the third. Once again the quality of the underside pictures isn't great, and there are a number of similar species, but the variety of colouration on the upper side looks good for this one.

All opinions very welcome.

Regards, Rupert
Attachments
0_DSC_0104.JPG
0_DSC_0098.JPG
0_DSC_0094.JPG
0_DSC_0091.JPG
0_DSC_0082.JPG
0_IMG_2268.JPG
0_IMG_2265.JPG
David M

Re: French fritillaries and blues

Post by David M »

Agree with Weaver's and Knapweed Frits, but there isn't enough detail for me to plump for Idas.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Rupert, the blue is Idas in my opinion. The fritillary isn't Knapweed, assuming the underside is the is the same individual as the upperside, as indicated by the underside. I don't think it is Heath either, and I am rather inclined to think it is female Provencal. I suggest you have a closer look to check this out.

Roger
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Thanks for both your opinions. As Roger has suggested, I have had a closer look at the third and I am now inclined to agree with the suggestion that it is actually a female Provencal, rather than Knapweed.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the variety of species still on the wing in the area in mid September; I am on holiday here for a few more days so hopefully will get an opportunity to go back up to the hills and see what else is around.

Regards, Rupert

Return to “Identification”