Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Pauline

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote:
[Burnished Brass] Resplendent in all its glory, adorned with gold leaf or so it seemed.
I wonder what the environmental advantages / evolutionary reasons are for such a striking brassy effect?
..and to think; they were so adorned before humans had discovered how to smelt metals!

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a really interesting question Jack but I'm afraid you're asking the wrong person. I don't even know if the individual is male or female which may have provided a clue (attractive to mate?). As in other species the colouration provides light and shade which breaks up the outline to a degree but as they do not fly during the day is camouflage needed? They remind me of the Purple Emperor which appears to have a dull colouration until viewed at certain angles when that spectacularly vivid blue sheen is evident. With the Burnished Brass the magnificent metal appearance becomes a muted, dull green-brown velvet which I have tried to show (not terribly successfully) in the comparisons below. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could throw some light on it:
P1920038ad.jpg
P1920171ad.jpg
P1920033ad.jpg
Some great shots of the exotics posted recently mike. Nice to see shots of the immature stages. Seems like it is very well organised. Hope you got to see some fabulous orchids too :D
Last edited by Pauline on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pauline
I don't even know if the individual is male or female which may have provided a clue (attractive to mate?)
Does anyone know if male/female Bold-as-Brass moths (I can't help calling them that) are noticeably different in appearance to humans? (I presume most Bold-as-Brasses can tell the difference!)

Jack

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

'Bold as Brass' moths aren't dimorphic to our eye's Jack, pheromones are probably put to good use!

As to the reasons for such 'eye catching' patterns, it'll be camouflage. Even nocturnal species need to avoid being eaten by diurnal predators and these shiny patches are employed by many insects (including butterfly pupae like our familiar nymphalids). These moths are in the same subfamily as other moths such as the Gold Spots and Silver-y's that have similar spots and spangles that will mimic holes and tears or spots of dew in/on dead leaves :) . It's all very clever.

Keep an eye out for Abs with future captures as well, there can be quite a bit of variety with the amount of 'brass' on the wings, sometimes the two bars are joined.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well Jack, that's us told :D . Thank you Buggy - that was both interesting and informative. It is a pity we did not bump into one another this season - I hope it happens next when perhaps I will be able to get to Bookham :D . I shall certainly be keeping a close eye on the moth trap as I have also been advised of the likelihood of migrants. Today I was totally unsuccessful looking for immatures, finding instead a couple of frogs!!!(got enough of them thank you), a couple of Speckled Wood and a Shield Bug which I have yet to identify. For me the end of the season is drawing closer very quickly :(

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I think I have now identified the Shield Bug:
P1920591ad.jpg
I do believe it is a Hawthorn Shield Bug - ACANTHOSOMA HAEMORRHOIDALE - the final instar in fact, as they seem to vary considerably though the various instars. If I am wrong I am going to feel pretty stupid - again! If I am right then I hope you are impressed Buggy :wink: :lol: Simple stuff to folk like you I'm sure but I still have to look this stuff up :roll:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks good for a Hawthorn Shieldbug to me, I use this website when I'm trying to ID true Bugs:

http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteropte ... idale.html

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Buggy, I'll remember that link.

This morning there was a constant fine drizzle and heavy cloud cover but it was oh so warm so I decided to set off for OWH. I've stopped caring about the weather and I'm clinging on to the last the season has to offer. Despite these conditions there were more Meadow Browns about than I have ever seen in one place. It was hard to avoid standing on them. Several times I was about to put my foot down and you know what it's like when you realise you are about to tread on something special and have to suddenly make that extended step, totally unexpectedly. Every other flower head seemed to have one of these attached to it. I tried to take a shot but half of them flew off. Even so, I can count at least 10 in this one:
P1920676ad.jpg
P1920640ad.jpg
Small Heath were also abundant and although I don't often photograph them today they looked so appealing:
P1920759ad.jpg
P1920685ad.jpg
I'd really come to see the Adonis but the first blue I saw was a fairly fresh Chalkhill who was persistent but unsuccessful in the attentions he lavished on a female:
P1920630ad.jpg
P1920634ad.jpg
There were some nicely marked female Common Blue around and a fair few Whites were on the wing:
P1920681ad.jpg
P1920784ad.jpg
I saw a couple of Clouded Yellow flying in the distance but lost them. 20 mins or so later I stumbled upon the male roosting in the inclement conditions. A few pecks out of the hind wings but so what!
P1920641ad.jpg
... and then I reached the Adonis. How lovely they are especially when so fresh:
P1920727ad.jpg
Many of the butterflies seemed to be congregating on the path and looked to be taking in minerals:
P1920709ad.jpg
P1920699ad.jpg
P1920660ad.jpg
P1920693ad.jpg
It took me a little while to realise that the 2 above were both attracted to the same female (below). I hope I receive as much attention when I am in the same condition!! (Can't be long now :wink: :lol: ):
P1920701ad.jpg
P1920729ad.jpg
Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of orange, and sure enough a Small Copper had joined us on the path:
P1920755ad.jpg
P1920752ad.jpg
In total I saw 12 species including a SSS which I didn't photograph. A lot still going on despite the time of year and weather conditions :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The blue of an Adonis is just staggering. Thanks for the memories Pauline (we don't of course get them up here).

Jack

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Super collection of photos but I particularly like the Small Coppers :D :mrgreen:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Great to see you still finding so many species on the wing - and those Adonis males are splendid. As you know, I've already resorted to tropical houses for my 'fix' :lol:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You're very welcome Jack. I'm pleased you like them and although you might not see them locally you do live in a beautiful part of the country which must be some small compensation :D

Thank you Katrina - it was a real unexpected treat seeing the Small Copper as I have seen so few this year.

Thank you too Mike. Having been badly bitten again :( I might well be resorting to the butterfly house next!

I decided to put the moth trap out last night expecting great things after the last time. However, when I opened the lid I was shocked to see 10 Hornets, 3 wasps, a large spider and ........ very few LIVE moths (about 6). Dead and dismembered bodies littered the floor of the trap including my precious Burnished Brass :cry: :cry: . I was gutted!!!! I'll be honest - this has put me off. I shall have to think very hard before I put the trap out again (unsupervised at least).
P1920984ad.jpg
P1920990ad.jpg
P1920993ad.jpg
P1930003ad.jpg
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

At the start of a new season I am never sure where it will take me. This season I had hoped to expand my knowledge and try to maximise new experiences. I wanted to build on my new found interest in the immature stages (including rearing) and moths, and seek out new sites to explore. Unfortunately, animal problems curtailed my activities a little (losing 3 of my foxes in a year was a blow), but without going out of my way, I was surprised to realise I have seen 44 species (to date) and reared 6. It was a little disappointing that I did not get to see the SPB, Wall Brown or Lulworth Skipper as I find all of these very attractive and on sites I enjoy visiting. I had hoped to see at least one butterfly species I haven’t seen before but it was not to be. Perhaps next season.

Early in the season I was able to visit Wisley to see some very exotic butterflies, the likes of which I am only ever likely to encounter on a few diaries on this site. Amazing to see them for real.

Naturally I can’t just ignore that very disappointing and misplaced anonymous allegation that I consider photography more important than the subject matter – however, the aspect that stays with me is the support and encouragement I received both privately and publicly, both at home and out in the field. Thank you all for that. I can’t even begin to imagine who would be so cowardly as to hide behind UKButts, unable to raise the issue with me personally, but I feel sorry for the individual concerned.

I have had a few regrets and challenges this season certainly. Yes, I regret getting the timing wrong with the WLH but to see them mating and egg-laying, for them to be able to contribute to the next generation instead of dying on the ground, was some compensation. The rearing of the Glanvilles wasn’t totally trouble free either but Martin was on hand every step of the way with help and advice – a brilliant mentor. Hutchinson’s Bank was also the only new site I managed to get to due to the animal problems at home.

As always there are highlights and for me this season 3 or 4 spring to mind. The first was my very personal and prolonged encounter and interaction with the PE which I was delighted to share with Hazel. Perhaps of even more significance was the behaviour displayed recently by 5 Brown Hairstreaks, the likes of which I doubt I shall ever see again, shared with Ern. The Brown Argus that floated down into my garden from nowhere, landing on a slice of bread, will stay in my memory simply because I have never seen them in this area; the mating pair of SWF which somehow, miraculously escaped from the clutches of a Dragonfly, the likes of which I had never seen before. Aberrations are always memorable. I have been lucky enough to see a few of them this season but the one at the forefront of my mind was the stunning PBF seen at Bentley Wood. Observing the Graylings egg-laying was another first for me and there have been discoveries which have raised more questions than they have answered – the Common Blue larva, for example, which was being plastered with chalky soil by the ants, the WLH’s which persisted and insisted on pupating in soil, contrary to what is documented, to name a couple.

The Green Hairstreaks which I reared – well it is early days but getting them to the pupal stage was plain sailing and the little Ringlet made it safely through. Most of the Large Whites made it too but surprisingly I had few subsequent sightings. The White Admiral both emerged safely and I was lucky enough to be there at the time having missed their emergence last year.

On the moth front I have viewed some spectacular moths even though the moth trap has not had as much use as I’d hoped due to time constraints. The gorgeous Burnished Brass, the amazing Poplar-hawk moth and the Pale Tussock to name but a few. I’ve a long way to go with these creatures as the sheer numbers, similarity between species and variations within species, has caused me difficulty in identification. I would like to thank all who have helped me with this aspect and should mention Neil F’s cracking photos which have inspired me to try harder.

My summary however, is largely in photographic format. I have compiled shots of my favourite photos and recent activities, either just because I like them, or because of what they remind me of, or because they represent a major activity such as rearing or moths. Each season I am drawn to the Hairstreaks and have come to the conclusion that this is my favourite group. To that end they have a compilation to themselves. I have also included a shot of the Black Hairstreak which I reared a couple of years ago, but is just too attractive a butterfly to leave out and completes the British Hairstreak group.

I am hopeful that my photography is improving over the years and I was delighted to be informed recently that one of my photos had been selected for the HIOWWT calendar. As this was the first competition I have entered I was stunned. Now seems like an appropriate time to call it a day for this season. I shall miss everyone but there are other things to attend to as usual – and of course I shall be back next year.
Exotics.jpg
Behaviour.jpg
Rearing1.jpg
Immatures.jpg
Hairstreaks 2016.jpg
Favourites 1.jpg
Favourites 2.jpg
Favourites3.jpg
Moths 2016.jpg
See you all soon :D

TonyP

Post by TonyP »

What a beautiful set of pics - a truly incredble & wide-ranging achievement. Very well done & thank you.

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

What a super entry to record your exploits this year.
Your photography has come along in leaps and bounds, well done.
Congratulations on your success in the photographic competition.

Perhaps you might want to look at your moth pictures, the i.d. of the second one in particular.

Cheers

Maurice

peterc

Post by peterc »

Pauline,

A fantastic lot of photos - well done on a great year's butterflying and thanks for sharing your experiences with us. The Hairstreaks family is probably my favourite too :)

ATB

Peter

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another butterfly year passed already but haven't you made good use of it :)

You have had a remarkable range of experiences, some of which have been very difficult, but plenty of good ones as well. Now, you have a splendid set of photos, to remember all those good times.

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a great summary of a fascinating year, Pauline. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your diary as events unfolded, highs and lows, and the photos have been a terrific record of it all. Thank you, and I look forward to next year.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, in spite of your upset's and disappointment's you've come through it all pretty good, your photo's are out standing and it was our pleasure to meet up with you this year, hope fully next year we'll meet again until then Pauline all the best and we'll keep in touch. Goldie :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have to say Pauline that your photos are up there with the top stars of the premier league of ukb. Quality and imagination are most impressive.

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”