New Forest / Silver-studded Blue

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Adrian Dowling

New Forest / Silver-studded Blue

Post by Adrian Dowling »

I will be down in the New Forest for a couple of days next week and I am hoping to catch up with some Silver-studded Blues to photograph.
Just wondering, are they widespread over all of the heathland or are there specific 'hot-spots' that I need to head for?

Many thanks in advance,
Adrian
Mark Tutton

Re: New Forest / Silver-studded Blue

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Adrian
I have seen them at numbers of sites but a reliable site is at Hawkhill Inclosure - the Heath in front of the woodland http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=43 ... 25&A=Y&Z=3
Can recommend Alan Thorburys excellent site for details of various Hampshire sites http://www.purple-emperor.co.uk/page10.htm
Kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Many thanks for the info Mark, I will have a look for them there, and also take a look at Alan Thorbury's site as suggested.
Best regards,
Adrian
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just over the border in Dorset is the fantastically named Slop Bog near Ferndown, it has a website with maps and directions how to get there. It's a very small site so they're easy to find and are often the only species of butterfly present so few butterfly distractions (although you may get tempted by the Dragonflies and Moths). Lots of Ticks here and in the New Forest so tuck your trousers in your socks and do a Tick check before you get in the car.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Thanks for the info Wurzel, I will also have a look at that one.
Good advice about the ticks too, although I always have a 'tick kit' with me during the summer months, just in case. Never hurts to have a reminder though, you can't be too careful!
Adrian
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Adrian and all,
Adrian ,I,d be interested in your "tick kit " what doe,s it consist of,i was unlucky enough to pick up 3 of the little devils last year at Cerne Abbas Giant hill,struggled a bit to remove them(one in particular !) Thanks in advance. Regards Allan.W.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Allan.W. wrote:Hi Adrian and all,
Adrian ,I,d be interested in your "tick kit " what doe,s it consist of,i was unlucky enough to pick up 3 of the little devils last year at Cerne Abbas Giant hill,struggled a bit to remove them(one in particular !) Thanks in advance. Regards Allan.W.
The most important thing is to have a dedicated pair of tick tweezers. There are various designs. My own favourite, which I have carried for many years, is this:

The tweezer 'hands' are cupped and can fit around the body of a swollen tick. The tweezers release when squeezed and grip when not squeezed. Whether the tick has just embedded itself or been feeding (on your dog, for example) for several days you can grip it at the head, rotate it gently and pull it out without leaving any part in the skin.

I never leave home without the tick stick.

Immediate application of neat tea tree oïl (after removal) is a good idea too.

Clean removal is more important than prompt removal. Lyme disease requires the tick to be embedded for a couple of days before it is passed on (I believe). If you don't have tweezers to hand when you find an embedded tick it is usually better to wait until you get home and remove it properly than to pull it out clumsily and leave the head still in the skin.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for the info Guy ,i'll look into it ! Regards Allan.W.
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

That's a very impressive piece of kit Guy, looks almost surgical.
My kit is not anywhere near as cool.
I have 2 different size 'tick hooks' which you just slide one the appropriate size between the head of the tick and the skin, then twist it around a couple of times to encourage the tick to release. I then place the tick in the empty container and keep it for a few weeks just in case I should become ill when it could be tested by a GP to check for Lyme's Disease.
The area where the tick was attached is also sprayed with the antiseptic spray.
Attachments
IMG_20160628_080538.jpg
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

Having had several ticks on me this year I read-up on what to do with the nasty things. So I now neatly wrap them in sellotape. Lots and lots of it. And then dispose of the little bundle.

Is this the best course of action?

Iona

Return to “Sites”